E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Limp mode?

07-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M Sport

Limp mode?

Firstly cheers for the help guys.

Right......I'm experiencing some problems here......I recently started to hit limp at high revs/heavy load, the code thrown was a 29cf which is missfire in cyl 3, the car was completely stock at the time.

I fitted a new set of plugs (ngk 3 prong) and a coil pack on cyl 3 along with an oil change and other bits n bobs unrelated,droplinks etc all OE standard from Euro Carparts and tbf some had BMW stamped on them.

I then went on to fit a JB4 G5 as the scuttle panel etc was all off thinking that the problem was sorted, no luck, the car farted and banged on WOT (map 1) then hit limp again with the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree... DSC fault.... low tyre pressure...... engine fault....ABS... the works but no code, so I changed injector 3 as the initial fault was missfire on cyl 3 (BMW part no' ends in 048-10 which Euro Carparts assure me should work but upon investigation it's for a 330i) to find the car running on five cylinders.

I changed injectors back and re-coded the old one back in and was still running like a bag of nails so I went to investigate for leaks etc, apart from some ticking I couldn't see anything untoward but happened to notice the new coil pack clip on the top was raised so I pushed it down and the car burst into life, took my finger off and it died again.....so the farkin new coil pack is shagged.

I then went on to change the new for the old coil pack and the car is still hitting limp at WOT in stock map and doesn't make over 5k in map 1 but does run on six cylinders at low revs

My question is could an injector fault cause all the fault lights, it did stutter badly, if so should I try the new one again with the good (old) coil pack, if not any ideas?

Secondly should I go to Euro Carparts, pull the guy over the counter and punch his throat out?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Ngk 3 prongs on a 335i?wrong plugs mate.Thry should be Bosch ones.A guy on here had same issues and it was incorrect plugs.If they've given you an injector for a 330i,could've also given you wrong plugs.If you look on NGK's site they don't make one for a 335i

Last edited by KM79; 07-26-2014 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers K, I did try to get Bosch but they only had two in stock, I did question the NGK's and was assured they're fine, they do look identical to OE

You know it's hard and expensive enough diagnosing a problem like this without bringing whether or not the supplier has given you the right parts into the equation.

Looks like it's start from scratch again, bite the bullet and use the main dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep

Turns out the plugs are for a 320i (ZKBR7A-HTU) wow just wow
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Hmmm not good.Get the right ones in there as a starting point mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989768

This was the issue I was talking about.My previous link was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

I've had a spark plug issues, when all plugs ere removed (a few days after a plug service) the ceramic cap on plug 1 was defective (you could spin it around with your fingers) and when the others were checked 2 more could be spun around too though nothing like the plug on cylinder 1, thus for me causing a misfire as they were arcing. Imagine what could of happened if that ceramic costing had broken away.

Needless to say more Bosch plugs were ordered in from a different supplier (BMW this time)with no dramas since.
      07-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers Steve,

A little update......tried the new injector again and managed to get to WOT in stock map without issues although it is still running slightly lumpy (probably down to the plugs).

Map 1 chucked an EML at WOT but nothing as dramatic as last night, I haven't had time to check for codes yet.

I think the plan of action is to return the lot...plugs, coil pack, injector and replace with the correct parts then take it from there. The initial fault does look like it's down to the injector although I don't get why it would throw all the codes last night.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Euros will use AutoData to cross reference the plugs on your car, AutoData on the whole is accurate but there are some errors that I've noticed when using the system like they state changing 335i Turbo start/finish is 7.3 hours. Which is about 30% of the time needed.

Re the JB4 I'm in expert but can't you clear codes re set adaptations on these things once works completed.

Back to the issue worth checking (though I'm sure you have)that you haven't a weeping rocker cover gasket. Sadly I've had this and a cracker cover both of which caused misfires as oil leaked into the plug wells(strangely cylinder 3 as well as the cover cracked which allowed oil to weep on to injector yes you've guessed it 3.

Last edited by old grey steve; 07-26-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=old grey steve;16359412]Euros will use AutoData to cross reference the plugs on your car, AutoData on the whole is accurate but there are some errors that I've noticed when using the system like they state changing 335i Turbo start/finish is 7.3 hours. Which is about 30% of the time needed.

Re the JB4 I'm in expert but can't you clear codes re set adaptations on these things once works completed.

Back to the issue worth checking (though I'm sure you have)that you haven't a weeping rocker cover gasket. Sadly I've had this and a cracker cover both of which caused misfires as oil leaked into the plug wells(strangely cylinder 3 as well as the cover cracked which allowed oil to weep on to injector yes you've guessed it 3.

I've tried to find more info on the plugs but they always seem to be listed for the 320i, 325i and 330i N53 never the 335i N54, the same goes for the injector they gave me. Even on their site the only plugs for the N54 are the Bosch ones.

The JB4 does indeed reset adaptions and clear codes but I prefer to keep my hand in with the INPA software.

Interesting about the oil as there was some around cyl 3 but it had come from the filler cap which is directly above, someone has missed the filler when topping up and it has ran over into and around that area and may well be the culprit, it's now cleaned anyway.

I'm off to try and get some logs tonight to see if they can shed any light.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Also something just came to my mind,when replacing n54 injectors if they are the fairly new spec ones they have to be replaced as cylinder bank ie if you're replacing number 3 you'll have to change 1,2 and 3.Theres a tech bulletin on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M79 View Post
Also something just came to my mind,when replacing n54 injectors if they are the fairly new spec ones they have to be replaced as cylinder bank ie if you're replacing number 3 you'll have to change 1,2 and 3.Theres a tech bulletin on this.

Yeh mate I'd read that but upon enquiring at BMW for a price I'd asked if it was OK to just change one, the reply was that it's fine this was verified by a mechanic I thought that because mine has had the injector recall my injectors were the new 079's but they aren't, the one I've taken out is a 317-07, the very ones that were recalled.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
all injectors on bank 1 were changed on mine as per bulletin.

Re my rocker cover crack the issue here was the fact they the car needed to be fairly warm to hot when pulling the thing apart to spot The main dealer missed it first time when we spotted a leak and I had the car in under parts warranty for a suspected rocker cover gasket issue(5 months since gen BMW gasket was installed)they stated 6 Ali tubes to sleeve the spark plug units were not supplied therefore gasket not covered, strange as their parts department supplied the parts and I used the various tech bulletins to prove they at the time it wasn't noted but now it is as the procedure has been amended, they still said no bit supplied me the gasket and 6 tubes free of charge and when we stripped the car down after pulling it out of the dealer we spotted the crack inspected and discovered the oil was contaminating both plugs and the injector!

Just my luck

Last edited by old grey steve; 07-27-2014 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyfor View Post
Yeh mate I'd read that but upon enquiring at BMW for a price I'd asked if it was OK to just change one, the reply was that it's fine this was verified by a mechanic I thought that because mine has had the injector recall my injectors were the new 079's but they aren't, the one I've taken out is a 317-07, the very ones that were recalled.
Err I would tend to disagree there.Ive read the tech bulletin on this and due to the way these new injectors are designed makes them incompatible with older spec ones.They cannot be adapted enough by the DME if only one Injector on one bank is changed and I'm lead to believe this can cause running /mpg issues.i think only the newest type of injectors will be supplied by the parts dept.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #15
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Err I would tend to disagree there.Ive read the tech bulletin on this and due to the way these new injectors are designed makes them incompatible with older spec ones.They cannot be adapted enough by the DME if only one Injector on one bank is changed and I'm lead to believe this can cause running /mpg issues.i think only the newest type of injectors will be supplied by the parts dept.
True when I was about to order 1 injector after checking and speaking to the warranty company with the tech bulletin to hand 3 were authorised without question and therefore ordered, the parts department at my local dealership after I'd checked the BMW tech bulletin weren't aware of this and to be 100% went off confirmed that if one injector goes down you replace the other 2 on bank 1 or 2 to match as per bulletin, then code accordingly otherwise there will be issues that you'll be chasing until you discover the invertible.
      08-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep

A wee update.........I've since changed the plugs again to the Bosch ones, changed the injector to a new 261-09 which is compatible with my other injectors on its own and I've still to change the coil pack on cyl 3 but the missfire seems to have been cured.

On testing I'm still getting a 30ff code with a half engine light, no reduced power but that obviously doesn't have anything to do with my initial problem and could just be a one off. Logs show boost following target boost well so here's hoping

Thanks KM and Steve for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #17
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Good stuff

Kris
Appreciate 0