E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Removing Inlet manifold - Oil Leak from Swirl Flaps

03-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d & 335i

Removing Inlet manifold - Oil Leak from Swirl Flaps

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to remove my Inlet Manifold on my 330d. I've removed all the nuts and connections that i see, but can't get it higher enough to remove it. It seems like the plastic where the strut braces go through are stopping it. Has anyone got any ideas?

I'm want to take it off and check becuase i believe my oil is leaking from the swirl flaps.

Any help will be great.

Cheers
G.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

theres a guide on here mate on how to change glow plugs, inlet off jobby so theres a few good pictures!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post13414875

Worth a quick look!
      03-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamE90 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to remove my Inlet Manifold on my 330d. I've removed all the nuts and connections that i see, but can't get it higher enough to remove it. It seems like the plastic where the strut braces go through are stopping it. Has anyone got any ideas?

I'm want to take it off and check becuase i believe my oil is leaking from the swirl flaps.

Any help will be great.

Cheers
G.
You need to remove the the plastic part the braces go through, 3x small bolts and pull it off, as you can see in the pic you then have the hight and clearance to remove the manifold.
The later cartridge type swirl flaps are very good and bmw seemed to have solved the swirl flap ingestation with this cartridge design my engine has done 140k and is just showing signs of leaking around the seals, the tiger seal has solved the problem without having to buy a new manifold.

This pic is my engine after 15k when I sealed the flaps with silicone sealant and the is hardly any leakage, the reason I removed the manifold I wanted to inspect the swirl flaps again, also to fit an egr delete kit as I had just done the dpf delete a few weeks before, the flaps were in very good condition so I decided to use the tiger seal as its more permanent fix.

My swirl flap were leaking a little from around the seals with the silicone sealant apart from that they were in very good condition so reinstalled them with tiger seal mastic.

Last edited by oldbilly; 03-29-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, i'll be looking at this over the weekend. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilly View Post
You need to remove the the plastic part the braces go through, 3x small bolts and pull it off, as you can see in the pic you then have the hight and clearance to remove the manifold.
The later cartridge type swirl flaps are very good and bmw seemed to have solved the swirl flap ingestation with this cartridge design my engine has done 140k and is just showing signs of leaking around the seals, the tiger seal has solved the problem without having to buy a new manifold.

This pic is my engine after 15k when I sealed the flaps with silicone sealant and the is hardly any leakage, the reason I removed the manifold I wanted to inspect the swirl flaps again, also to fit an egr delete kit as I had just done the dpf delete a few weeks before, the flaps were in very good condition so I decided to use the tiger seal as its more permanent fix.

My swirl flap were leaking a little from around the seals with the silicone sealant apart from that they were in very good condition so reinstalled them with tiger seal mastic.
What year is your car? looks very clean for 140k. mine is on 80k and it looks like its been leaking for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

I did the same to mine swirl vane seals leaking and glow plugs shot. Decided to blank them. I noticed slight loss of torque which doesnt surprise me as the vanes cover up one set of ports so the gas speed is higher when shut. Still if they arent in there they cant fall to bits even though they dont on the e90. Are you sure you have disconnected the vacuum pipe from the actuator bolted to the underside of the intake?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamE90 View Post
What year is your car? looks very clean for 140k. mine is on 80k and it looks like its been leaking for a while.

Year 2006, although I removed the manifold last year and sealed the swirl flaps with silicone sealant that pic is after 15k I now done this with tiger seal which should stop it completely.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Ah sorry Graham Ive just read your post properly and as oldbilly says its strut braces off , bulkhead off plus rear part of the cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Quote:
Year 2006, although I removed the manifold last year and sealed the swirl flaps with silicone sealant that pic is after 15k I now done this with tiger seal which should stop it completely.
Did you replace the gaskets with new ones when you refitted the manifold? Are there 2 sets of 6 required plus the egr valve gasket i.e. parts 2, 3 and 4 in the diagram here? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=11&fg=40

I have a leak from the RHS of the engine after 140k miles. It seems like it is oil but is it oil or diesel that would leak from the manifold?
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Did you replace the gaskets with new ones when you refitted the manifold? Are there 2 sets of 6 required plus the egr valve gasket i.e. parts 2, 3 and 4 in the diagram here? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=11&fg=40

I have a leak from the RHS of the engine after 140k miles. It seems like it is oil but is it oil or diesel that would leak from the manifold?
No, the gaskets 2/3/4 do not need replacing if they are in good condition, just made sure they are clean and oil free before you re-install the manifold, if its leaking from the swirl flaps it usually a sticky gundge from the exhaust gasses mixed from egr valve with turbo charged intake, removing the egr valve will make it much cleaner in all respects.

Last edited by oldbilly; 06-22-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Quote:
No, the gaskets 2/3/4 do not need replacing if they are in good condition, just made sure they are clean and oil free before you re-install the manifold, if its leaking from the swirl flaps it usually a sticky gundge from the exhaust gasses mixed from egr valve with turbo charged intake, removing the egr valve will make it much cleaner in all respects.
Many thanks.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0