E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Lung Cancer... Doctor advise needed.

10-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Lung Cancer... Doctor advise needed.

My Mom is 49 years old, she has heart disease and was scheduled to undergo a 6 bypass open heart today. On friday they did a pre surgery screening of the chest and canceled the surgery due to a "large mass in the left lung only" 3.5x3.5 cm in size, perfectly round with a hole in the middle". They are doing a CT scan from the chest down to see if it is anywhere else tomorrow... she is apparently at the "top of the list" to get this figured out.

-She sees doctors regularly and this was not there at all 6 months ago
-She does not cough up any blood or feel anything abnormal anywhere else (for what it's worth)
-She has not lost any weight, in fact she has tried and can't.

Is there hope, she is a single mother of a 7 year old boy, my brother. Not even the prospect of going to war has scared me this much.
      10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Doea your mom smoke? If so she should definetly quit and seek immadiate help at the hospital.
Dont ask for medical help on such a serious topic on a forum, doctors need to check a patient first hand before helping.
Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Doea your mom smoke? If so she should definetly quit and seek immadiate help at the hospital.
Dont ask for medical help on such a serious topic on a forum, doctors need to check a patient first hand before helping.
Best of luck.
Yup for a long time now, she sees doctors every day. I'm just looking for some back door thoughts.
      10-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Not a doctor, but you will get all the advice you need tomorrow. Wait for the CT scan. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Could be cancer.. could be a benign tumor. You really can't tell until the scan comes in and you look at it.

You see "nodules" like these in about .1-.2% of people. Of those, about 30% are malignant (cancerous). If it's big (big = bigger than 2.5 cm in diameter), it is likely cancerous. If it changes in size quickly, it is also likely cancerous. Since it came up in pretty much 6 months.. that is going against you. "Likely" in this case, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good chance. Cancer isn't exactly a "likely" thing to begin with, so the odds are still on your side.

Do not lose hope. There is still a good chance that this is not cancer. Even if it is, lung cancer survival rates are decent as far as cancers go. It is even better if you catch it early, and since it seems that this condition is less than 6 months in age, time is on your side.

Still, I am very sorry I hope everything will be okay.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
My Mom is 49 years old, she has heart disease and was scheduled to undergo a 6 bypass open heart today. On friday they did a pre surgery screening of the chest and canceled the surgery due to a "large mass in the left lung only" 3.5x3.5 cm in size, perfectly round with a hole in the middle". They are doing a CT scan from the chest down to see if it is anywhere else tomorrow... she is apparently at the "top of the list" to get this figured out.

-She does not cough up any blood or feel anything abnormal anywhere else (for what it's worth)

Is there hope, she is a single mother of a 7 year old boy, my brother. Not even the prospect of going to war has scared me this much.
Sorry to hear it. My thoughts are with you and her. For what it is worth, my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer this past Friday so when I saw your post it hit home. Never smoked a day in her life but I know it can still happen. They said no surgery for this type; radiation and chemo for 6 weeks. She's weak already so the treatment will be rough on her.

Just see what the docs tell you and hope for the best. Stay strong for your mom.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Pm me your phone number, I'll call you tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Please ask her to stop. It might help her last longer. The reality is that this is tough. I am assuming that you enlisted or in the military. Please take care of yourself and make sure that you are a role model for your little brother. I hope that she recovers but you need to make sure she stop smoking immediately.

God bless you.

- former army medic.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Stating the obvious here as I am not a doctor nor medically educated:

Cancer is really horrible, OP. Pray for good news, bud.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

check your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post

Appreciate 0