E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > $15000 to fix engine per dealer (Options) PLS ADVISE

10-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post
...there is a play there but not enough for a full jump. If the tensioner is the cause this is highly unlikely to happen suddenly and to go unnoticed. Doesn't have to do with the oil leak in my opinion.
It is a very strange story. Knowing what BMW &^%$*&^ technicians are capable of (at least here in MA) nothing would surprise me.
Also a good point. I don't think this story is settling well with anyone here.

OP, what dealership was this at?
      10-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #24
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Definlty tow it out and get a second opinion. Alot of this sounds like BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

I would take it to another dealership/indy for a second opinion.

They are throwing BS. Would be extremely difficult for the Timing Chain to skip like they are claiming.

another option is to contact BMW NA and see if they will do a good will since your car is less than 50k miles.

I find it hard to believe that an N54 with less than 50k went bad like that. If anything I would claim that it's an out rage and the vehicle did not last past the normal 50k warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

I have a buddy here in Illinois I live in moline who's a technician at Kimberly BMW he always does work for me under the table, I can let him read your thread when I see him to see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I'm with roundel on this one. Suspicious.

I HAVE heard of timing chains skipping, however. It can happen under (very rare) situations, often involving over-revving the engine. Either that or incompetent assembly.
      10-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLove86 View Post
Had an oil leak for about the last month and half (cracked valve cover). I did a oil change at dealer they said I could probably drive it for about a month with the oil change and come back in about a month to fix the oil leak (cost 1400 to fix). While I was going to get another oil change to buy me some more time to get the $1400 to fix the leak, car broke down and won't start. Took to a local shop they couldn't get it started, towed to dealer and they told me it going to cost $15000 to fix said the timing belt skipped or something and got sucked into the camshaft and cracked it something like that. Previously my serpentine belt snapped 3 times in about a month and a half the second time it was fixed by the dealer.
Serentine belt breaking 3 times in a month and a half. I think we have other problems here. That wouldn't happen unless it was installed incorrectly or you have the bad engine mount letting the engine bang on the suspension carrier.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

There is more to this story than what you're saying or what you know.

3 serpantine belt snaps should have been a sign that something is seriously wrong. Like people said our timing belts are not belts but chain and the whole situation is plausible but something definitely doesn't sound right.

If you've only been going to the dealer for work, I'd call up BMW NA and get a case created on this.... especially if it costs you a new engine or $15k. How long have you been out of warranty? You can make the case that htis should have been caught while you were in warranty ie were the belts snapping when you were under warranty.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
mAdTYzz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Unless the engine block(i hope that's what they call it) is cracked or the cylinder damaged everything is changeable. So there is no freakin way you need a new engine, only in that case.
As far as i know the chain tenssioner is hydraulic, and maybe it allows the chain to jump off completely, althought i doubt it.
Anyway even if you are unlucky to have the timing chain issue the common things damaged are some valves, you change them, offcourse preparation of the cylinder head is required and you are ready to flow along with your car. So i can bet a hand that it won't cost you that price unless the dealer quotes astronomical prices for labor.
Investigate the real problem and try garages that know how to fix the parts damaged, not only drop in a damn engine.
Sorry for my english.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #31
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz BMW View Post
15k to fix an engine? LOL

Buy a used one, or just push your car off a cliff and buy a new car. Seriously, tell your dealer to F off
Sorry to hear about your nightmare. My cousin's wife was driving their X5, put it from 6th to 2nd by mistake, blew the motor (bent rods).

Also 15k to replace. But they weren't going to pay if it were the last thing they did, argued with the dealer and BMWNA, and it was covered by warranty. Aunt's E46 M3 same thing, oil problem, blew the motor, BMWNA covered it. They were both under warranty, but my point is that even the dealer won't give you their best price right away. Argue with them and suddenly they only want 10k.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
Serentine belt breaking 3 times in a month and a half. I think we have other problems here. That wouldn't happen unless it was installed incorrectly or you have the bad engine mount letting the engine bang on the suspension carrier.
That's cheap to repair, $3,800. LOL

I shouldn't LOL because my car falls under the SIB, but I've never seen anything on the belt or pulley.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #33
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

get one from Junk Yard
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
97M3Coupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M-3 & 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
1997 M3 coupe  [0.00]
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet. Serpentine belts typically break on these cars due to a poorly engineered sub frame, an issue BMW is keenly aware of and rarely does anything about. If I were you I would look very closely in to that issue, it's fairly well documented on this site, and most common on '07 models.
On another note ALL M-20 engine equipped BMW's had timing belts, something you younger folks may not be aware of. That's 1984-91 325 coupes and sedans as well as 1992 325 Convertibles. Also all E-34 525's up until the M-50 engine had the same M-20 with a timing belt. Lesson over.
      10-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #35
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW 335i Coupe

Here is the service report I did my last oil change at the dealer for the car almost a month ago. The guy told me I could drive it for about a month then come in to get the leak fixed.

Alpine White BMW 335i coupe (sports package)/M3 Rear spoiler/M3 Side Skirts/M-tech front bumper/Mtech Rear Bumper/Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #36
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
NICE. CAN i DO IT OR CANT I?
1. Not. Well, for a BMW extended warranty, the answer will be "no." I don't know if a private, third party warranty vendor might sell you one, but IF THEY DO:

2. That would be fraud on your behalf, assuming you didn't tell them about the problem, they issued you a policy, then you went and made a warranty claim.

Use your head. Your car is fixable for less than $15k, possibly (based on some responses to this thread) MUCH less, but even if it wasn't... engaging in fraudulent behavior has the very real possibility of putting you in a NON-FIXABLE situation, with a felony conviction for a crime of moral turpitude and dishonesty. Getting jobs after that will be... a really fun and interesting experience!

Of course, it's impossible to state the odds that you'll get caught, prosecuted, and convicted -- perhaps none of those will happen. I know I wouldn't take the risk, though.

On a less utilitarian note: When do people forget basic lessons like "it isn't cool to rip people off," and "you should do the right thing"? What the fuck is wrong with you? Were your parents complete assholes, or did you pick it up independently? I'm trying to get my head around what made you think it would be "ok" to buy an extended warranty for an ALREADY BROKEN CAR and then go and make a warranty claim. Irrespective of the strict legality (again, if you're confused: it's illegal), didn't that jump out at you as an obviously immoral thing to do?

Last edited by MCoupeInsanity; 10-24-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #37
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
So the report says overdue oil change, heavy leaking from valve cover, resulting VANOS issues due to low oil pressure, and the possiblity of particles from broken serpentine belt causing some further issues. It also states that the same problems can be correlated with worn camshafts or cams being incorrectly timed (also maybe as a result of VANOS issues). It further states 9942 miles, as though that's too long of an oil change interval, but the warranty/maintenance schedule says 15,000 miles is a normal interval. Might want to get them to clarify that one. The rest of it looks like problems arising from manufacturing defects - that valve cover shouldn't have been leaking like that for any length of time and not picked up by routine inspection.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoupeInsanity View Post
1. Not. Well, for a BMW extended warranty, the answer will be "no." I don't know if a private, third party warranty vendor might sell you one, but IF THEY DO:

2. That would be fraud on your behalf, assuming you didn't tell them about the problem, they issued you a policy, then you went and made a warranty claim.

Use your head. Your car is fixable for less than $15k, possibly (based on some responses to this thread) MUCH less, but even if it wasn't... engaging in fraudulent behavior has the very real possibility of putting you in a NON-FIXABLE situation, with a felony conviction for a crime of moral turpitude and dishonesty. Getting jobs after that will be... a really fun and interesting experience!

Of course, it's impossible to state the odds that you'll get caught, prosecuted, and convicted -- perhaps none of those will happen. I know I wouldn't take the risk, though.

On a less utilitarian note: When do people forget basic lessons like "it isn't cool to rip people off," and "you should do the right thing"? What the fuck is wrong with you? Were your parents complete assholes, or did you pick it up independently? I'm trying to get my head around what made you think it would be "ok" to buy an extended warranty for an ALREADY BROKEN CAR and then go and make a warranty claim. Irrespective of the strict legality (again, if you're confused: it's illegal), didn't that jump out at you as an obviously immoral thing to do?
How about BMW selling me a lemon of a car. FUCK THEM!!!

Alpine White BMW 335i coupe (sports package)/M3 Rear spoiler/M3 Side Skirts/M-tech front bumper/Mtech Rear Bumper/Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Here is the service report[/IMG]
You might want to blur or black out your name/address/telephone/email info. Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
So the report says overdue oil change, [...] It further states 9942 miles, as though that's too long of an oil change interval, but the warranty/maintenance schedule says 15,000 miles is a normal interval. Might want to get them to clarify that one.
Rememver the OCI is 15,000 or one year (if I remember right) - so it can be overdue if over 12 months regardless of number of miles.

Though the way I interpret "overdue 9942miles" is that it was overdue by that number of miles, not that it was the number of miles since the last change. Could go either way I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #40
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
How about BMW selling me a lemon of a car. FUCK THEM!!!
So you have rationalized your decision to defraud some completely random third party warranty provider, by suggesting that BMW sold you a lemon. Never mind that there are lemon laws, and if your car truly was a lemon they'd probably afford you some avenue of relief (it wasn't, they don't).

This is like saying "Bob stole from me, so to make it even I'm gonna steal from Sally." Is that morally acceptable in your world? As long as you are made whole, it the means of getting there don't matter?

Finally, you didn't answer my question: were your parents also immoral assholes who taught you to be the same, or did you pick that up on your own?
      10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #41
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Call BMWNA

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #42
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

I too had to change my motor @ 59k. Cost me $9k for a 38k miles motor. The #6 cylinder liner developed a crack which allowed water seep into cylinder. Motor cost $5.2k and $3.8k for the install.

That's the short story. There's more to it than stated. I felt I was being taken at the time. But what recourse do I use, use the California automotive complaint resolution program? Time and cost is limited. So I was cornered to pay the man. Checkmate.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #43
Zysos617
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
I too had to change my motor @ 59k. Cost me $9k for a 38k miles motor. The #6 cylinder liner developed a crack which allowed water seep into cylinder. Motor cost $5.2k and $3.8k for the install.

That's the short story. There's more to it than stated.
may i hear the rest?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #44
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Might want to edit out your name and details.

Your car is an 07' with 45k? how the fuck does that happen with your shit blowing up? is the car a salvage vehicle?

You can buy an 07 335i with 70k for $15k if you look...then part out the car and let it pay for itself...

If the block is bad, go on ebay there is a guy selling a brand new block and head without parts for $400 I believe.
Appreciate 0