E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW: Supercharged N52 e90 328i - 5/18/12

Closed Thread

08-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #287
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
Because M3 owners have more disposable income and are more "BMW Enthusiasts" than normal 3-series owners?
Really? I dont think so. All I hear around here is bitching from 128/328 and the other mg/al blocked owners who are all ready to plunk down cash for kits that arent available! Just look at this thread we're in right now or take a look at this one. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ess

I'd venture to guess there are more V8 M3 drivers happy with their 414bhp and not strapping on blowers than all the N52 owner dying for more power!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Heres the Scion FR-S. A car that just recently hit the market. Already there are turbo mules running around. Kits will be available for this new model before you know it. The N52 has been out for 8 years and basically....nada.
There are a lot less of these cars on the road than N52 powered cars and they're cheaper than the BMW's. That tells all I think.
Sadly, I think all you guys are waiting for something that isnt coming. Dont wait around for F/I for your cars, there are other ways to make good N/A hp.

Last edited by NYC6; 08-10-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #288
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
Because M3 owners have more disposable income and are more "BMW Enthusiasts" than normal 3-series owners?
Really? I dont think so. All I hear around here is bitching from 128/328 and the other mg/al blocked owners who are all ready to plunk down cash for kits that arent available! Just look at this thread we're in right now or take a look at this one. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...;highlight=ess

I'd venture to guess there are more V8 M3 drivers happy with their 414bhp and not strapping on blowers than all the N52 owner dying for more power!

Heres the Scion FR-S. A car that just recently hit the market. Already there are turbo mules running around. Kits will be available for this new model before you know it. The N52 has been out for 8 years and basically....nada.
There are a lot less of these cars on the road than N52 powered cars and they're cheaper than the BMW's. That tells all I think.
Sadly, I think all you guys are waiting for something that isnt coming. Dont wait around for F/I for your cars, there are other ways to make good N/A hp.
That's because the scion fr-s/brz/gt86 already have literally sold out world wide for the next 18 months

Again, it's a money thing, there are already almost more of them in existance than the n52 lol

Also, it's considered more of a performance car, it was designed from the ground up to be amazing at handling

Ed: within a week of this car existing there were already v8/1jz / rb26 engine swaps

People buying this car are buying it BECAUSE it has modifications and it's fast. Not because it's nice/luxury etc. Not a fair comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #289
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 - SO M4

Per another topic... I think we will have some type of FI for the N52 within the next year (other than MMW). But I'm holding off on getting excited until we hear 'officially'.

From what I gather, we haven't any FI applications for our cars due to the ECU being extremely difficult to crack. We all know once one tuner comes out with FI N52 product, will others try to join the market.
      08-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #290
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvyByNature
Per another topic... I think we will have some type of FI for the N52 within the next year (other than MMW). But I'm holding off on getting excited until we hear 'officially'.

From what I gather, we haven't any FI applications for our cars due to the ECU being extremely difficult to crack. We all know once one tuner comes out with FI N52 product, will others try to join the market.
Yeah, i think it must be easier to tune na like aa/evolve/everyone else... Than to tune for 7lb of positive air pressure. Lol

But what's to stop them just raising the price a bit, including a decent EMS with full installation instructions, and guaranteeing quality tune, with the ability to tune it more later?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #291
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
That's because the scion fr-s/brz/gt86 already have literally sold out world wide for the next 18 months

Again, it's a money thing, there are already almost more of them in existance than the n52 lol

Also, it's considered more of a performance car, it was designed from the ground up to be amazing at handling

Ed: within a week of this car existing there were already v8/1jz / rb26 engine swaps

People buying this car are buying it BECAUSE it has modifications and it's fast. Not because it's nice/luxury etc. Not a fair comparison.
I couldn't disagree anymore with you.
After 8 years of being on the market and nothing but silence and crickets chirping supports my position. Some of you guys refuse to face reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #292
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
The cams aren't ininitely variable at all.. Only the valves are variable and youre better off for power doing lock to max.. You could still have a perfect street car with 27x/27x, standard lift no lope, and you could go higher if you don't mind a rough idle or upgrading springs/removing valvetronic entirely

They're 255/263 degrees static, n52 owners alreay have shown gains with custom cams

Also, the stroker kit is still available you realize? The producer is 'noelle' and yeah 302hp without any other mods, impressive!!

http://www.noellemotors.de/3_2l_engi...B30.262.0.html

Oh and who is rmp? I can't google them, want to sendthem an email if they do actually do cams
Sorry it took me so long to respond: http://www.rmpmotors.com/

BTW: That was Schrick's statement, not mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #293
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Really? I dont think so. All I hear around here is bitching from 128/328 and the other mg/al blocked owners who are all ready to plunk down cash for kits that arent available! Just look at this thread we're in right now or take a look at this one. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ess

Sorry, but I've spoken directly to VF Engineering and ESS and that is the exact reason they produce the M3 system and not ours. The M3 owners are more likely to add these kits than a 325, 328 or 330 owner.
I know for a fact that VAC in Philly sells a ton of superchargers for new M3s. As in they will order 20 kits at a time.

What you say is true though, there are a ton of people waiting for a quality kit from a quality provider. There's also six years worth of cars out there waiting for this.

Things are in the works. We just have to hope things work out.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #294
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

That scion sounds like shit idc how much HP it has lol. Plus it's still cheap plastic inside. I'll take a n52 over an Asian import any day. Supercharged or not I will love my car just the same. Girls train of thought anyways "hmmm BMW>Scion" lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #295
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
That scion sounds like shit idc how much HP it has lol. Plus it's still cheap plastic inside. I'll take a n52 over an Asian import any day. Supercharged or not I will love my car just the same. Girls train of thought anyways "hmmm BMW>Scion" lol
hahahha agreed. I mean it does look like a fun little car but damn for 25k... I got my e90 CPO'ed for that much with 19k miles on it... BMW> Scion any day.
      08-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #296
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Are we still feeding this thread?
      08-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #297
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 / 18'F82

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Why Gavin stops undating for so long time?
Let us know sth like "I'm running the S/C for x month and over xxxx miles, everything goes well" or just "my engin exploded at xxxx miles, forget it!!!"
LOL, just joking... but really wanna know how is it going..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #298
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

How about an update!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #299
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

He's way too busy to check this thread guys
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #300
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
hahahha agreed. I mean it does look like a fun little car but damn for 25k... I got my e90 CPO'ed for that much with 19k miles on it... BMW> Scion any day.
25k no shit? On road a base model here is only 35k, tax and all.. Gts (toyota here) is $40k. 25 is a bit of a ripoff

Ed: its actually pretty nice leathery interior btw, and the driving ability is 10/10
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #301
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Heres an interesting article by Wards(a much respected name in the game). Talking about the current I6 BMW engines. In this article, Andreas Welter, the production manager of all BMW I6 engines states, and I quote,

"In the case of the magnesium-aluminum block, Welter says, “Right now, the crankcase-stress of the turbocharged engine is above the limit of the aluminum/magnesium crankcase.”

I think the head I6 engine guy at BMW, the last word in the engines abilities knows what hes talking about. And he confirms my position 100%. Thats the reason why you're all waiting forever for F/I for your cars.

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...bo-pay-bmw-i-6
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #302
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think this has less to do with the engine construction and more to do with the cost vs other options available . Not worth it to most for the potential gains / issues
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #303
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
Heres an interesting article by Wards(a much respected name in the game). Talking about the current I6 BMW engines. In this article, Andreas Welter, the production manager of all BMW I6 engines states, and I quote,

"In the case of the magnesium-aluminum block, Welter says, “Right now, the crankcase-stress of the turbocharged engine is above the limit of the aluminum/magnesium crankcase.”

I think the head I6 engine guy at BMW, the last word in the engines abilities knows what hes talking about. And he confirms my position 100%. Thats the reason why you're all waiting forever for F/I for your cars.

As i said in the other thread - i'm sure within even the next 6mths we'll have actual evidence of whether the n52 can handle boost
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #304
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post

Turbo is WAY different than supercharging. Yes Turbo puts an extreme amount of low end torque to the engine components which is why you need a more solid block. Supercharging gradually increasing power and does not add a bunch of torque like a turbo setup so it is not nearly as hard on the engine. It is essentially like putting a bigger engine or a stroker in the car. It simply builds more power with revs and keeps the general power delivery of the stock car.

I used to have an n52. Loved it but I think you need to enjoy it for what it is. It never was and never will be a fast car. It sounds great, is smooth and in the right trim (330/530) it revved right to 7k and pulled until the last second. Unfortunately in the 328 version they choked it at 6400 and it fell off in power after that which was too bad since hitting 7k was most of the fun.

You guys are fooling yourself by making excuses like the ecu is too hard to crack or the valvetronic is too hard etc. The new N55 and all the new turbo V8's have valvetronic and have already been cracked and tuned within weeks of release. The only reason why is simply there is no market. Sure, a few enthusiasts come to this board and probably would put down 4-5 grand for a supercharger but in the scheme of things 99 percent of owners would not. They also can charge way higher prices if they market towards cars like the m3. Just like exhausts cost 2500 for an m3, for piping which would cost 400-700 for the 330. Simply put owners of a 328 are not financially able to pay 10k for a supercharger, and if they are they are the exception. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense-why in the world would you invest in huge Rand D for an extremely limited market and at a price point where you need a huge market, not a small market to recoup costs.

Gavin was around 3 years ago when I had my car and he has been talking about this same thing for 3 years. Its never going to happen in any kind of production form to you guys. He may run some frankenstein supercharger on his own car but anyone that would trust Gavin with the first ever supercharger and tune on their own car would have to be insane and it will never happen anyway.

Really at this point there is no need to do this. The 335 is old enough now where selling the 328 and getting a 335 would be a minimal cost and would get you the performance you want. A used m3 is not even that much at this point
He is my personal option, why don't you take you happy trolling ass back to the M3 forum. Really after reading all your BS, all i heard from you was blah blah blah. Us 328i people have heard all this shit from the 335i trolling people before. If I wanted a fu&king 335i or M3 I would go buy one. What part of that don't you 335i and M3 fuc&ers don't understand. We are not dumb I know I can buy a 335i or M3. I know they are there, I love my car I have done so much to it and I enjoy driving it everyday. So like I said so back to you own forums. If we want to spend 5-6k on a supercharger let us. I'm a big boy I don't need a fu&king dad on the BMW forum saying i don't like seeing people getting take advantage of. We can handle our selves and if we want to bitch let us it's our god damn forum.

You don't see us coming over saying anything on your forum, so I will say it again go back to you own forum and talk, no one wants to listen to you here.

Honestly are you that bored on your own forum that you have to come to our forum and bug us. You must be bored there, I guess is nothing exciting in your own forum.

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #305
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
Turbo is WAY different than supercharging. Yes Turbo puts an extreme amount of low end torque to the engine components which is why you need a more solid block. Supercharging gradually increasing power and does not add a bunch of torque like a turbo setup so it is not nearly as hard on the engine. It is essentially like putting a bigger engine or a stroker in the car. It simply builds more power with revs and keeps the general power delivery of the stock car.

I used to have an n52. Loved it but I think you need to enjoy it for what it is. It never was and never will be a fast car. It sounds great, is smooth and in the right trim (330/530) it revved right to 7k and pulled until the last second. Unfortunately in the 328 version they choked it at 6400 and it fell off in power after that which was too bad since hitting 7k was most of the fun.

You guys are fooling yourself by making excuses like the ecu is too hard to crack or the valvetronic is too hard etc. The new N55 and all the new turbo V8's have valvetronic and have already been cracked and tuned within weeks of release. The only reason why is simply there is no market. Sure, a few enthusiasts come to this board and probably would put down 4-5 grand for a supercharger but in the scheme of things 99 percent of owners would not. They also can charge way higher prices if they market towards cars like the m3. Just like exhausts cost 2500 for an m3, for piping which would cost 400-700 for the 330. Simply put owners of a 328 are not financially able to pay 10k for a supercharger, and if they are they are the exception. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense-why in the world would you invest in huge Rand D for an extremely limited market and at a price point where you need a huge market, not a small market to recoup costs.

Gavin was around 3 years ago when I had my car and he has been talking about this same thing for 3 years. Its never going to happen in any kind of production form to you guys. He may run some frankenstein supercharger on his own car but anyone that would trust Gavin with the first ever supercharger and tune on their own car would have to be insane and it will never happen anyway.

Really at this point there is no need to do this. The 335 is old enough now where selling the 328 and getting a 335 would be a minimal cost and would get you the performance you want. A used m3 is not even that much at this point
335 = played out. See them everywhere. Now see some of you guys are infamous for being the typical 335 douche. Not even the m3 board is that bad, only because you guys share e90post with the 320, 325, 328, and 330 SOME of you get too big-headed. Get over yourselves, honestly. Now the 325 and 328 might be slower COMPARED to the rest but regardless they aren't slow cars. And who do you think you are boasting, ALMOST EVERYONE on the forum does EXTERIOR MODS anyways..flash stuff around just because you guys splurged on a higher trim...And don't think you guys are all that special, anyone can have a 335 now with BMWs lease steals. Heck, I see old women driving 335. My friends aunt who knows nothing about cars has a 335. Truth is...your still not as unique as a M3 if you think your on their level. Anyone who has a 325i or a 328i and keeps their badge on, with all their mods and everything..I have respect for. Take your badge off...than I will think you don't appreciate your BMW. Other day I saw a 328i trying to pull off the m3 look...do something different like distant quads. Don't try to be something your not. But to every man his own. You can't stop ALL the douches...especially SOME of the 335 guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #306
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

The 335 is a great car and most likely I will be picking up a coupe next year. Now with that said I do agree that the 335 is NOT a super car like some here make it out to be. I have a 3-stage intake manifold, Eurocharged tune, perf exhaust, a eurointake box and I can pretty much keep up with a stock E90 335Xi. As far as mods go, the 335 does give you more bang for your buck. The supercharger would be nice but I don't know how reliable the N52 motor and tranny would be after lets say 20k miles. This is why I rather go with the 335 option.

e90330xiSG I do get what you're saying though there is quite a bit of douchebaggery going on here with the some 335 drivers. Although they make up are very small section of the BMW community, they are annoying as hell. They are almost always guys in their early 20s who constantly crave attention. These are the same fuckers that I see at the gym loading up a bar and then doing half reps or have their friend spot them by pretty much pulling the bar off their body. They feel a constant need to brag and show off even if they really have nothing to show. And believe me this problem is not just in the BMW community. The event I'm about to describe actually came from a Civic SI driver. One time I was parking my car at a mini-mall near my house and what I saw next blew my mind. I'm pulling into a spot and I saw this kid that looked to be around 20 or so watch me park. I get out of my car and start walking and he gets into his Civic, starts it up, and revs the shit out of it then turns it off and gets back out the car. I seriously looked back and said "wow!!" then I just started laughing. That right there just blew my mind. Same kind of shit goes on with some of the younger BMW drivers. Having a nice car is a bit of an accomplishment and when you’re young and haven’t really achieved shit in your life, yet, a moded Bimmer will be the equivalent of an Olympic gold medal for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #307
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
He's way too busy to check this thread guys
Way too busy to take 5 minutes to check a thread he started putting out feelers to see who would buy his companies potential product? Some of you guys are seriously in full blown denial!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #308
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^agreed. Some of these guys get a little too butthurt.

Just give it time and all of these pipe dreamers will eventually be in a 335 or the new N20 328.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread