Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ordering from Mod Bargains, is it safe?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Ordering from Mod Bargains, is it safe?

I don't mean any disrespect to the company at all, it's just that I'm going to be ordering a set of wheels for roughly $1900 which will be done through a wired transfer (direct debit).

Is it safe to order through these guys using wire paymen?

Has anyone from Melbourne, or Australia, ordered anything from their website and were they reliable, quick, problematic, etc.?

Even if you're from the US or another country, what was the service like?

I'm just nervous about wiring through $1900 without the comfort of PayPal.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
kgemz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego Blue

Recently got my Forgestar F14 from Mod Bargains. Dealt with Alan, amazing customer service! Exchanged a few emails and phone calls about the progress of my order. No complaints whatsoever, will definitely deal with them again.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Mod Bargains is a great place to do business with. I talk to them weekly about customers I send their way for things. I always know people are in great hands when dealing with Alan and the guys over there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

I agree with the above posters. I've ordered a few parts from **********s and I've never had any problems with them. Total confidence in their business!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
They are one of our bigger dealers and we talk to them daily.
      05-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

I had an absolutely horrible experience with them a while back. Ordered some Avant Garde wheels they were advertising for the X5 and had a photo of mounted on an X5. Got them, bought my tires, and then went to get them put on the car. Turns out the center bore doesn't fit the X5, and the wheels were too narrow anyway.

After much emailing, they said that the wheels should have been bored out before being shipped. At no point before ordering or in their description do they mention anything about boring the wheels. Totally dishonest, and I can imagine I'm not the only person who didn't want bored wheels, instead wanting wheels actually designed for the vehicle. The best they could offer is that I could ship the wheels back to them and they'd bore them, or they'd pay for a shop to bore them and I could take them there.

After much, much more fighting, they finally agreed to take them back - but only if no tires had ever been mounted on the wheels. Unbelievable - god forbid someone were to trust a retailer to send what was advertised, and then go ahead and mount the tires! Anyway, I went through the hassle of packing them up and shipping them back, and heard nothing from them and no refund. After a few more calls (and never receiving any of the callbacks they promised), I finally got through. They said they would provide a refund only once an Avant Garde rep came and inspected the wheels.

Again, absolutely ridiculous. What was clearly happening is that they were returning the wheels to Avant Garde (or having them drop shipped), and weren't willing to refund my purchase unless they got their money back. Any professional business would eat the cost when they make a mistake and dishonestly advertise a product, but Mod Bargains is not a professional or honest business. Not by a long shot.

Finally, after more time hassling them and threats of legal action from my end, I finally heard back. They were going to refund my money, but during the inspection they determined one of the wheels to be damaged and used. Completely untrue - I went over the wheels meticulously before sending them back, even polishing them with a microfiber cloth to get rid of finger oils. Then here they were accusing me of damaging the product that they sent me in error and falsely advertised, even making it sound as if they were doing me a favor in giving me a refund ("we don't normally do this, but we've managed to get you a refund"). Unbelievable audacity or perhaps a total lack of self-awareness; I don't know which. A couple weeks later the refund was finally posted.

The moral of the story here is: stay far, far away from Mod Bargains. I've never dealt with such a dishonest company with such horrible customer service.
      05-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Excellent company to do business with. I ordered a set of pedals that they recently stopped carrying and they called me right up, explained the situation, and refunded my money all withing 30 minutes of me clicking "purchase".

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

I've purchased multiple items from them with zero problems. Don't be worried.
      05-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

I will agree that they're great to deal with before the sale - but the real measure of a company is how they treat you after they have your money.
      05-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I only deal with them because they're about 10 miles away so if anything goes wrong I'll go and firebomb the place, jk, not really. 10 miles or like 13km for you UK folk lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Might want to read the following thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708625

Seems they've had issues with credit card fraud too.
      05-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I had an absolutely horrible experience with them a while back. Ordered some Avant Garde wheels they were advertising for the X5 and had a photo of mounted on an X5. Got them, bought my tires, and then went to get them put on the car. Turns out the center bore doesn't fit the X5, and the wheels were too narrow anyway.

After much emailing, they said that the wheels should have been bored out before being shipped. At no point before ordering or in their description do they mention anything about boring the wheels. Totally dishonest, and I can imagine I'm not the only person who didn't want bored wheels, instead wanting wheels actually designed for the vehicle. The best they could offer is that I could ship the wheels back to them and they'd bore them, or they'd pay for a shop to bore them and I could take them there.

After much, much more fighting, they finally agreed to take them back - but only if no tires had ever been mounted on the wheels. Unbelievable - god forbid someone were to trust a retailer to send what was advertised, and then go ahead and mount the tires! Anyway, I went through the hassle of packing them up and shipping them back, and heard nothing from them and no refund. After a few more calls (and never receiving any of the callbacks they promised), I finally got through. They said they would provide a refund only once an Avant Garde rep came and inspected the wheels.

Again, absolutely ridiculous. What was clearly happening is that they were returning the wheels to Avant Garde (or having them drop shipped), and weren't willing to refund my purchase unless they got their money back. Any professional business would eat the cost when they make a mistake and dishonestly advertise a product, but Mod Bargains is not a professional or honest business. Not by a long shot.

Finally, after more time hassling them and threats of legal action from my end, I finally heard back. They were going to refund my money, but during the inspection they determined one of the wheels to be damaged and used. Completely untrue - I went over the wheels meticulously before sending them back, even polishing them with a microfiber cloth to get rid of finger oils. Then here they were accusing me of damaging the product that they sent me in error and falsely advertised, even making it sound as if they were doing me a favor in giving me a refund ("we don't normally do this, but we've managed to get you a refund"). Unbelievable audacity or perhaps a total lack of self-awareness; I don't know which. A couple weeks later the refund was finally posted.

The moral of the story here is: stay far, far away from Mod Bargains. I've never dealt with such a dishonest company with such horrible customer service.
Reading this worries me now...
You would've paid through direct transfer, no? Not Paypal?

The product I want is Linea Corse LC818 and they should, from factory, be ready to mount.
Bugger, you've scared the crap out of me now lol.
      05-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaa93 View Post
Reading this worries me now...
You would've paid through direct transfer, no? Not Paypal?

The product I want is Linea Corse LC818 and they should, from factory, be ready to mount.
Bugger, you've scared the crap out of me now lol.
I don't believe they use PayPal, which is why alot of people refuse to deal with them.
      05-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I don't believe they use PayPal, which is why alot of people refuse to deal with them.
That's honestly where the problem is though, MB have ZERO risk in the whole transaction since money is directly into their account, while we have no PayPal security and we also become out of pocket.

I'm thinking of not buying wheels from MB, seems too risky.
      05-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Service is exceptional! I ordered some F14s from them and they should be getting here in a few more weeks. I frequently e-mail them on the status of my order and get a timely response each time.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
Lafatherealtor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, M3 next year

Have never had a issue with mod bargains , have dealt with Alan and also Ron ever since I had my e46.. so i have dealt with them for roughly 4yrs, have made various purchases and will definitely buy again.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

They don't take credit cards? That and the fact that their name is auto blocked out of posts on the forum should tell you to look for another vendor.

(unless I am the only one who sees a series of asterisks instead of their name when the words are written together. Mod Bargains **********s)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

They've been decent to deal with. That being said, never wire anyone who isn't family money. Always use credit card or Paypal.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
e92mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i coupe 2010

Everything you see on my car is os mod bargains. I had not issues at all. Have sent around 8k with them and never had a problem. All my friends also purchase from them, best customer service and quality products. Now stop listening to that 1 guy that had a bad experience and go for what the other 100 tell you.

Good luck, trust me you wont regret ordering from them.
      05-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

They don't take credit cards? Haha no thanks.

You're outta luck if anything goes wrong in that case.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
They don't take credit cards? Haha no thanks.

You're outta luck if anything goes wrong in that case.
Bingo.

Ordered a set of wheels from local shop instead, sure it cost me $2600 (inc. tyres) but better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
They've been decent to deal with. That being said, never wire anyone who isn't family money. Always use credit card or Paypal.
100%. They don't accept credit card or PayPal.
      05-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
They don't take credit cards? That and the fact that their name is auto blocked out of posts on the forum should tell you to look for another vendor.

(unless I am the only one who sees a series of asterisks instead of their name when the words are written together. Mod Bargains **********s)
Mmm I realised, read above post, bought a set of 20" concave wheels from local store.