E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Handbrake / Parking Brake Light not working

06-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
///Marshy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

Unhappy Handbrake / Parking Brake Light not working

The handbrake light on my 2005 E90 does not illuminate on the dash when the handbrake is engaged, nor does it work if I pull the handbrake up whilst moving (I would have thought the car has a warning light/tone for this?)

I know the dash is okay as when I switch the ignition on before starting the engine, the brake warning light illuminates amber and then red before going out.

Any ideas on what to check first?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E46, E91, F21

Garage List
Check the little grounding switch and wires to see if there is any disconnections or damage. Just pop off the e-brake boot by pulling it gently, with a little bit of force, away from the center console. You should see a copper connector near the rear of the handbrake assembly.(I just going by memory right now, so forgive me if it's not at the rear) Sometimes the wires get pinched or severed.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
ianprice000
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 2005

Similar Hand brake issue

I have the issue with my handbrake. The lights work when the ignition goes on but the light does not come on when the handbrake is applied.

I have removed the boot as per the previous answer and I can see a wire has been removed and capped off. I am guessing this should go to the little brass switch but i can not find where it attaches anywhere online.

I have attached an image ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8hfswopcj...witch.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by ianprice000; 09-08-2018 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: trying to get the image to show
Appreciate 0