E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Wastegate Ticking Noise Found*

Closed Thread

06-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #177
lablueboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Had the "rattling or ticking" problem for a couple months. Finally brought my car to the dealer last week. They fixed it, replaced some parts near the wastegate and reprogrammed my car. everything works fine, except the exhaust is very loud now.. It drones at low rev (2K-3K) very unpleasant to hear. Just made an appointment with my SA to bring it back in next week. Not sure if anyone here is having the same issue after fixed the rattling problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #178
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

wow....i wonder if this is my problem since my ticking is exact to the videos. I replaced both turbos with no warranty through bmw and the ticking was still there. SO lesson is dont listen to your dealer all the time.

They told me the ticking noise i had was the wastegate and that my modifications were cooking the wastegate and only repair is to replace both turbos...well 7 thousand dollars later and the ticking remains unchanged. going to take this thread to my performance shop to have them check it out. I kept both core turbos thats the dealer replaced and the wastegates look fine. expensive mess i know
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #179
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablueboy View Post
Had the "rattling or ticking" problem for a couple months. Finally brought my car to the dealer last week. They fixed it, replaced some parts near the wastegate and reprogrammed my car. everything works fine, except the exhaust is very loud now.. It drones at low rev (2K-3K) very unpleasant to hear. Just made an appointment with my SA to bring it back in next week. Not sure if anyone here is having the same issue after fixed the rattling problem.
I never had a problem with teh droning but remember that my software did not get updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramano View Post
wow....i wonder if this is my problem since my ticking is exact to the videos. I replaced both turbos with no warranty through bmw and the ticking was still there. SO lesson is dont listen to your dealer all the time.

They told me the ticking noise i had was the wastegate and that my modifications were cooking the wastegate and only repair is to replace both turbos...well 7 thousand dollars later and the ticking remains unchanged. going to take this thread to my performance shop to have them check it out. I kept both core turbos thats the dealer replaced and the wastegates look fine. expensive mess i know
This is why hanving the knowledge of the SIB is important. BMW would not have an SIB for the wastegate issue if modifications were the cause of the problem. It's too bad you paid for nothing.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #180
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablueboy View Post
Please report what they tell you is causing the drone and louder exhaust. I had the software update and it did not make the rattling go away completely.

However, it does seem to rattle less often. My rattle was more noticeable, but now after the software update, it does seem to rattle more when the engine is cold. After I drive the car pretty hard, it rattles little or not at all. Not sure why, anybody have an idea why that might happen??

My dealer wants to order the waste gate actuators, but I am not sure I want to replace the parts right away.

I am really worried about my car running bad after the dealer messes with it. I was frustrated after I picked my car up after the software update, all the shortcuts on the i-drive were erased, all the settings on the stereo equalizer were back to default, logic 7 was off, and they moved my seats and mirrors. Now my driver's seat makes a creaking sound when I accelerate. Uggh!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #181
weiher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335Xi

I have this ticking or rattling noise as the engine decelerates.

When I took mine in for an oil change last week on Thursday, I mentioned to them to look that over and gave them a copy of the SIB. Later that day after looking everything over they came back with the opinion that the software update or an actuator replacement wouldn't resolve this and instead decided on a plan to replace both turbos as per the discussion they had with BMW.

I looked at the removed turbos which has the shaft sticking out which moves the wastegate. This shaft is loose in all directions and when you shake it, produces the noise I was hearing. It appears to have as much as 2mm of play in all directions.

The new turbos apparently have a new part number and the one they had seems to have heavier hardware connecting the actuator rod to the wastegate shaft and lever. I'm not sure if there are any other diffences between the new and the old part numbers. There is play in this shaft as well but axially confined and no more than 1 mm in and out.

They're waiting on the 2nd turbo to arrive so they can put everything back together again.

I can see how taking the play out between the actuator arm and the wastegate shaft lever might reduce the noise coming from the shaft, but in my case, the noise really appears to come entirely from the wastegate shaft itself which suffers from an excessive amount of play.

I may know as early as today if the turbo replacement plan was successful or not.

Currently, I have about 46,000 km on it. No problems until this came up.
      06-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #182
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Interesting about the new turbo you're getting...wonder if they've already started putting these into their production cars...when was your produced? Any chance you could find out from the dealer if they've started getting new cars with this turbo in them?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #183
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Are you absolutely positively sure that they are reaplacing the complete turbo?
If so then your dealer did not read that SIB correctly.
All they need to do is replace the actuators and the problem is solved.
I understand that your linkage is very loose but so was mine.
Once the correctly operating acutaors are in place then the linkage will not be loose anymore since the actuators are doing their job by making everything tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiher View Post
I have this ticking or rattling noise as the engine decelerates.

When I took mine in for an oil change last week on Thursday, I mentioned to them to look that over and gave them a copy of the SIB. Later that day after looking everything over they came back with the opinion that the software update or an actuator replacement wouldn't resolve this and instead decided on a plan to replace both turbos as per the discussion they had with BMW.

I looked at the removed turbos which has the shaft sticking out which moves the wastegate. This shaft is loose in all directions and when you shake it, produces the noise I was hearing. It appears to have as much as 2mm of play in all directions.

The new turbos apparently have a new part number and the one they had seems to have heavier hardware connecting the actuator rod to the wastegate shaft and lever. I'm not sure if there are any other diffences between the new and the old part numbers. There is play in this shaft as well but axially confined and no more than 1 mm in and out.

They're waiting on the 2nd turbo to arrive so they can put everything back together again.

I can see how taking the play out between the actuator arm and the wastegate shaft lever might reduce the noise coming from the shaft, but in my case, the noise really appears to come entirely from the wastegate shaft itself which suffers from an excessive amount of play.

I may know as early as today if the turbo replacement plan was successful or not.

Currently, I have about 46,000 km on it. No problems until this came up.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #184
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Once the correctly operating acutaors are in place then the linkage will not be loose anymore since the actuators are doing their job by making everything tight.
Thats weird too. I had BOTH my actuators replaced and the noise is still there. My dealership has ordered for me a pair of new turbos and I am sending the car in on Monday to get it fixed. I can confirm if the new turbos actually solve my problem. BTW, they inspected my car and stated the turbos were fine but the wastegate actuator linkage is severely loose. Even after changing the actuators, I still have the sound. Recently, i got a CEL upon accelerating and I dont know if it could be the wastegate. Hopefully the new turbos solve everything. My car is stock except for my exhuast.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 06-19-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #185
lablueboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
Please report what they tell you is causing the drone and louder exhaust. I had the software update and it did not make the rattling go away completely.

However, it does seem to rattle less often. My rattle was more noticeable, but now after the software update, it does seem to rattle more when the engine is cold. After I drive the car pretty hard, it rattles little or not at all. Not sure why, anybody have an idea why that might happen??

My dealer wants to order the waste gate actuators, but I am not sure I want to replace the parts right away.

I am really worried about my car running bad after the dealer messes with it. I was frustrated after I picked my car up after the software update, all the shortcuts on the i-drive were erased, all the settings on the stereo equalizer were back to default, logic 7 was off, and they moved my seats and mirrors. Now my driver's seat makes a creaking sound when I accelerate. Uggh!!
Looks like they reprogrammed your car too. Yeah my navi presets were reset. I got the car back two days ago. They found the rattling were still there. To "fix" it, the paperwork says "Removed Catalystic converter", "remove wastegate actuator", "adjust lash to 0".. not sure what the last item is. The car seems to work fine now. no more rattling or droning.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #186
weiher
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post

Howdy Mr. 5 - good work on your part tracking down and disecting this issue - it was very helpful and insightful.

In my case, Yup - they replaced both turbos which seems to have included the actuators and connecting hardware. There's not a rattle, tap, click or anything to be heard except what's supposed to be heard. Absolutley perfect.

When they originally told me the plan, I told them to stop everything and we'd go over this SIB again but they said they had been on and off the phone all morning with BMW and this is what they collectively came up with. When I went there and actually saw how bad the wastegate shaft was - where it goes thru the turbo/wastegate housing, quite frankly I didn't want that back on the car. It was completely loose like it was ready to fall out. Of course, the valve inside keeps the shaft from falling out along with whatever retaining hardware is in there, but the point is there was so much play in the shaft that I couldn't see how it could possibly function properly. This isn't the hardware that runs between the actuator and the lever connected to the shaft, this is the actual shaft.

On the new one I looked at, like I mentioned before, there was play in the shaft but only slightly along the direction of the shaft axis. Much tighter. No sideways or angular slop.

There's currently no arguing with success - so far they seemed to have nailed it. Only time will tell.
      06-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #187
weiher
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Thats weird too. I had BOTH my actuators replaced and the noise is still there. My dealership has ordered for me a pair of new turbos and I am sending the car in on Monday to get it fixed. I can confirm if the new turbos actually solve my problem. BTW, they inspected my car and stated the turbos were fine but the wastegate actuator linkage is severely loose. Even after changing the actuators, I still have the sound. Recently, i got a CEL upon accelerating and I dont know if it could be the wastegate. Hopefully the new turbos solve everything. My car is stock except for my exhuast.
After 24 hrs so far, that very repair has completely removed any tap, rattle or whatever from my car. I am absolutely delighted the way it sounds.

If your wastegate valve shaft has the amount of slop mine did, then it seems reasonable to me that you'd probably see excessive play in that linkage assembly that is attached to it.
      06-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #188
john335
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

I got my wastegates replaced 4 months ago and now the noise is back.....not happy!!
      06-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #189
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john335 View Post
I got my wastegates replaced 4 months ago and now the noise is back.....not happy!!
Did you get the wastegates replaces or the actuators replaced?
If the actuators, then you most likely have to get the new software, and that will most likely suck, since many are complaining about the lag.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #190
brusso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92

Mr.5... have you ever heard about a actuator arm moving at idle.
      06-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #191
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Someone mentioned that one way of knowing that you have 29.2 is that the main menu color on the i-drive/Nav is now silver and not brown. Well, I just had a complete reprogram of my car car 11 days ago, and the color of the main menu is still brown. They did not tell me what version number of software I have now.

They did the software update to try and rid my car of the rattle caused by the waste gate actuators, it did not work. They now want to replace both turbo waste gate actuators. My car was reprogrammed for hours at the dealer, an absolute waste of time.

I called my SA to ask him what version of software I have on my car after their failed software fix for waste gate noise. I wanted to know the PROGMAN version but he didn't know. Huh??

He said I previously had software version E89X0703516 and I now have E89X0803530. What PROGMAN version is that?? Anybody know?

There is no way in hell that I have 300 lb ft of torque at 1500 rpm!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #192
JonnyBoost
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

so i need some advice i have had my car in and out of the shop the last 3 weeks due to the wast gate. after 2 new wastgates 1 new turbo and 3 weeks the problem is still present and now the dealer is telling me that thers nothing more they can do for me so i call bmw na and they tell me the same thing. they say the bmw techs car which is also n54
is louder then mine. so i guess that makes it ok WTF.
NEED SOME HELP THX JON
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #193
JonnyBoost
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

oh ya im 100% stock
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #194
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Dealership replaced both my turbochargers with the new improved ones which apparently has a thicker wastegate rod. The sound is completely gone. It sounds and feel so damn tight. Like a virgin pussy i'd say!!!

The problem was with the internal wastegate valve which had alot of freeplay. Changing the actuator arm once for both the turbos did not solve the problem. Now it is ok with 2 completely new turbos with the improved actuators.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 06-24-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #195
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I just figured out that that "gap" you have found is there on purpose.
Pull the wastegate rod all the way back and you understand why I'm saying this
elmariachi, please update us for a long term review
      07-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #196
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

maybe she was just rode hard and put away wet too many times

like a spoon in a big mason jar lucey
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #197
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
I just figured out that that "gap" you have found is there on purpose.
Pull the wastegate rod all the way back and you understand why I'm saying this
elmariachi, please update us for a long term review
So far so good. Sometimes i do hear the rattling but it goes off. Maybe i am just being too attentive. The newwastegate together with the turbos definitely improved my part throttle feel and I get on boost much faster. The one with the wastegate problem was so sluggish.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #198
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
So far so good. Sometimes i do hear the rattling but it goes off. Maybe i am just being too attentive. The newwastegate together with the turbos definitely improved my part throttle feel and I get on boost much faster. The one with the wastegate problem was so sluggish.
now I don't have that sluggish problem
.......knock on wood
I hear it......but it goes goes away too
so maybe this isss normal?