E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede CANbus Activation directions (with video)

04-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #67
adrock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [9.58]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Shiv I am really excited about the possibility of clearing tuner codes if needed. But will the goal with these maps going forward, still be to maintain diagnostic invisibility? I personally would rather not have to clear codes if possible.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #68
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just returned from a two week vacation with no internet access.
I have RevII but non CANbus version.
Can I order the upgrade? I saw some CANbus review threads, but I can't find where I can order the wires.

P.S. What makes me a bit upset is that Shiv wrote this 4 months ago:
Quote:
I'm sure we'll have an update or two but they will all be software-based which you can do yourself with any home/laptop computer. We don't expect to change any hardware for at least 2 years.

If I knew that, I would have waited a bit (I'm planning to install my RevII next week). And now I have to order the wires, wait till they arrive (2-3 weeks), go to customs, install (I'm not an "engineer")...

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #69
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock View Post
Shiv I am really excited about the possibility of clearing tuner codes if needed. But will the goal with these maps going forward, still be to maintain diagnostic invisibility? I personally would rather not have to clear codes if possible.

Thanks!
Right now, the goal is to make the safest and most consistent power possible. That is going to require doing things that could possible trip the tuner manipulation code. We have a few other systems in place that make that less likely to happen but it honestly isn't the first priority If you trip it, clear it before you take it to the dealership. Takes 4 seconds to do and doesn't require a laptop

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #70
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Can I order the upgrade? I saw some CANbus review threads, but I can't find where I can order the wires.

If I knew that, I would have waited a bit (I'm planning to install my RevII next week). And now I have to order the wires, wait till they arrive (2-3 weeks), go to customs, install (I'm not an "engineer")...
I'm sorry but 4 months ago, the CANbus functionality was hardly a twinkle in my eye. I didn't even want to talk/think about it until we determined that it was feasible. I can't apologize for not mentioning something that wasn't mentionable at that time. I just want to provide the best possible tuning solution to you guys.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #71
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
pm'd
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #72
MkLV_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Yep... we have the wire pack kits in stock. Just waiting for our web guy to put up the online order link. He's in Europe on te vacation but I'm sending smoke signals
Any idea on when we can order the CANbus retrofit kits?
      04-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #73
adrock
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [9.58]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Right now, the goal is to make the safest and most consistent power possible. That is going to require doing things that could possible trip the tuner manipulation code. We have a few other systems in place that make that less likely to happen but it honestly isn't the first priority If you trip it, clear it before you take it to the dealership. Takes 4 seconds to do and doesn't require a laptop

Shiv
I get that, and I think that is AMAZING that it is even possible. But if a tech hooks up and sees absolutely no codes, is that a dead give away that the ECU fault logs have been tampered with? Or is it perfectly fine to erase your own codes (i.e. independent service shop would reset brake light's etc)

Thanks Shiv!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #74
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I'm sorry but 4 months ago, the CANbus functionality was hardly a twinkle in my eye. I didn't even want to talk/think about it until we determined that it was feasible. I can't apologize for not mentioning something that wasn't mentionable at that time. I just want to provide the best possible tuning solution to you guys.

Shiv
It's OK, Shiv. I understand that and you don't have to apologize for making the tune superior. I just want to order the upgrade asap and install it.
Will there be a new installation video that was promised several times? I really don't want to do something wrong.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #75
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
I get that, and I think that is AMAZING that it is even possible. But if a tech hooks up and sees absolutely no codes, is that a dead give away that the ECU fault logs have been tampered with? Or is it perfectly fine to erase your own codes (i.e. independent service shop would reset brake light's etc)

Thanks Shiv!
It is perfectly normal not to see any codes in the engine control, whihc is the only thing being reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #76
adrock
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [9.58]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
It is perfectly normal not to see any codes in the engine control, whihc is the only thing being reset.
Good to know. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #77
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:

Thanks Shiv!
Your logic is a little off by the way.. If you had the infamous tail light problem or any othert problem for that matter, once you reset the codes and took the Procede out, then drive to the dealer these codes would show up again..

In any case, having no codes present is not proof of any kind of tampering, you have the right to use independent shops or your own device that can clear codes..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #78
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Your logic is a little off by the way.. If you had the infamous tail light problem or any othert problem for that matter, once you reset the codes and took the Procede out, then drive to the dealer these codes would show up again..

In any case, having no codes present is not proof of any kind of tampering, you have the right to use independent shops or your own device that can clear codes..
What is the infamous brake light problem? Mine just started giving me errors intermittently...
      04-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #79
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
What is the infamous brake light problem? Mine just started giving me errors intermittently...
kinda but yea... i had intermittent errors on the left side for a while, they have gone away though.... (no DME updates either) ... my dad's xi has been giving him intermittent errors as well on the right side... not sure of current status...

so +1 .... i didn't know i was infamous ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #80
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Quote:
When you go over speed bumps the brake light wouldnt go on because of some faulty cabling or something. I just went in and go it re-done.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #81
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:

See this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229824
My posts are #12 and #14

Basically there are dual lights to illuminate for the brakes, one can be out (with a warning light showing up on the dash each time you start and shutdown the car - annoying) and you won't be able to tell by looking from the outside. You have to look into the housing by sticking your head in the trunk to see the burnt out bulb. The bulbs are cheap at any auto parts store and they are easy to replace. It is a waste of time to go to the dealer. You can do a replacement in less than 30 minutes. Now if you replace the bulbs and still have an electronic short then take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #82
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
kinda but yea... i had intermittent errors on the left side for a while, they have gone away though.... (no DME updates either) ... my dad's xi has been giving him intermittent errors as well on the right side... not sure of current status...

so +1 .... i didn't know i was infamous ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
When you go over speed bumps the brake light wouldnt go on because of some faulty cabling or something. I just went in and go it re-done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
See this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229824
My posts are #12 and #14

Basically there are dual lights to illuminate for the brakes, one can be out (with a warning light showing up on the dash each time you start and shutdown the car - annoying) and you won't be able to tell by looking from the outside. You have to look into the housing by sticking your head in the trunk to see the burnt out bulb. The bulbs are cheap at any auto parts store and they are easy to replace. It is a waste of time to go to the dealer. You can do a replacement in less than 30 minutes. Now if you replace the bulbs and still have an electronic short then take it to the dealer.

Perfect, thanks guys! That's the exact issue I've been having, intermittent left side failure. Noticed the outside bulb was out, but it's since come back.

I'll keep an eye on it and go to the dealer if I have to. Thanks!

/threadjack
      04-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #83
JReddy335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E93 335i

can anyone explain the differences between the original V3 and what rev 1 and rev 2 mean and what they are?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #84
kartracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe, 2017 M240ix

Subscribed. I'd like to know this too.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #85
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReddy335i View Post
can anyone explain the differences between the original V3 and what rev 1 and rev 2 mean and what they are?
v3 denotes a Plug n Play procede system. This includes a PROcedes computer and a PnP harness. There are two versions of the PROcede Computer: Rev.1 and Rev.2.

Rev.1 is the original design with the larger waterproof black plastic enclosure. It's associated PnP harness also incorporates boost control ballasts and a DPPT relay. We no longer sell the Rev.1 PROcede. But we still sell its PnP harness for those who have the original PROcede and want to upgrade to v3.

Rev.2 is the newer re-designed unit. It is smaller and has more functionality. It's associated harness is also smaller and simpler since the harness electronics have been moved to the PROcede circuit board. The major functionality difference between the Rev.1 PROcede and the Rev.2 PROcede is that the Rev.2 has CANbus functionality.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #86
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post

thats why its better wait and then u get all in one piece, if you wait maybe more Shiv will produce even something again on REV II keep up the good work Shiv
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #87
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
thats why its better wait and then u get all in one piece, if you wait maybe more Shiv will produce even something again on REV II keep up the good work Shiv
You bet....................next will be, removing the wireless remote map switcher from the expansion port and plugging in the methanol control circuit (for methanol freaks), but first he will have to assign map switching via Canbus using an existing dash factory button.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #88
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

How about one of the steering wheel buttons? Everyone is got those right? Or maybe allow the feature to be programmed into one of the 6 programmable buttons below the entertainment system in the middle of the dash?