E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF Removal ??

01-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
Question DPF Removal ??

Ok my car now has the dreaded DPF error showing up.

I have tried a good run, ie 30-40 miles at 70 ish mph, in 5th gear twice now.

It has not cleared the fault, I also took it out for a good, high revving thrashing to no effect.

The car is 100k+ mileage wise (probably at the end of the DPF's life?), and is not under warranty at all.

I am thinking of taking the opportunity to have it removed, and recoded.

Has anyone any experience of this, and if this is a good move or not ?

I am thinking of taking it to Top Gear - Bridport to get the job done.

Car is a 330d E90, 2006.

If you have any comments on this it would be most appreciated, as I know this is quite a major change, but as its high mileage, not under warranty I do not really mind if its a safe move.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

have a search around for DPF removal, theres a few people that have had it removed and then had an engine map put to cope with its removal.

Don't know if its worth just getting it replaced/cleaned out by a BMW independant
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Problem is a new DPF costs £1297 as a part alone.

For around £600, I can get it removed with a stainless steel hand made pipe added where the DPF was, mapped to tell the ECU its removed and a performance map.

I just want to make sure its a safe option really, as I don't want any future Turbo issues.

I know when the fault shows up its around 70% blocked, so I have a little time, and as its not regenerating / high mileage, is probably due a new one.

Have searched around but can not really find any "reviews" of how people have found it once done. Plenty of companies that do it, but no customer reviews.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It can be removed no prob as you say but if you don't want to go to the expense and are up for getting your hands dirty then if possible you can remove the DPF and get a steam cleaner into either end to clean the carbon out, I've done this on around 4 cars now, 2 being 5 series'. once you've cleaned out as much carbon as you can, refit and run the regen and fingers crossed it will be fine! last one I done was a Skoda which was completely blocked, no regen would work. I removed the DPF, steam cleaned it out (wasn't actually very accesible with the steam cleaner but managed to get it flowing not too bad) refitted it and had a guy come and perform the regen whilst on the rolling road, and it worked perfectly!

But, obviously removing the DPF and having it programmed out of the ECU is the best option, just not the cheapest.

These cars with DPF's don't like being pootled around every day
      01-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

would a removal of the DPF ( my car is a 335d ) would make the car make smoke ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
In theory yes, as the DPF is to remove soot particles, but is it noticeable? I don't know.
      01-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

had dpf removed about 2 months ago (56 reg, 85k - e92 335d)

I never really intended for this to happen but I do mainly short journeys & had a few probs that I ended up at the Stealers (very true expression). After the 2nd time of being fleeced by the B'stards the DPF light started coming on & I couldn't get a regeneration to happen to stop the light coming on so not fancying a 3rd trip to the dealers I made the decision to buy a replacement pipe from eco tune, fit it with the help of my mate & get Simon at emaps to reprog it out of the system.

The replacement part was excellent quality & had all the relevant holes for the various sensors to be re connected back in.

On removal of the DPF ( a right b'satd to remove as it needs lots of things to be moved for the DPF to drop away) we noticed that the dealers had left an electrical connection off the dpf from the recent trip to the garage so on hindsight the replacement part wasnt needed !!!!

Finally got the DPF out (big heavy thing) & was surprised to see that it was actually quite clean. Sooty but not clogged. The new one went back in easily as it is a third of the girth of the DPF.

Car now sounds way more sporty even on tick over which I quite like & the exhaust tips are now black where as before they were spotless & would stay that way for weeks after a quick wipe.

Economy has deffo improved & can get high 40's with ease on the motorway at 70. Seen a high of 53mpg on one trip but thats not really why I bought the car. Makes me wonder what must be wrong with some of these 320d's that cant get over 40mpg.

Cant really say one way or the other wether the car is quicker with it on as it did nothing but snow the day after it was fitted & I have got winter tyres on so not really been in performance mode for quite a while but on the one ocassion I did give it the full monty it did surprise me.

One of the original probs I had with the car was it needed a new ecu (according to the stealers ) so my remap was lost so once I had the dpf removed & I had time I popped over to Cannock to see Simon (Emaps) and he remapped it again & removed all the DPF relevent parts of the software. We took the car for a run after the remap so he could check all the settings & he was surprised just how much cooler the exhaust gas was.

Am I happy so far ? Yes. no regrets so far

I'm finding recently that I can be doing over a ton pulling onto the local dual carridgeway without meaning too & what seems like so little acelleration. I put this down to the "constant" power delivery of the remap, low back pressure due to the DFP off ( just one very smooth delivery from 1.5k ) & the very quiet winter tyres.

Can't think of any other car that combines the performance with economy in the way that this does.

edit - meant to say it still doesnt smoke.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Not seen many articles on BMW DPF removal, but it is a common thing on VW Transporter vans. A thread I saw involved removing the PDF, knocking all the contents of it out and refitting and remapping to remove the DPF software. All looks original and you don't need a new exhaust section.

More info here -

http://www.pendleperformance.com/VWDPFOFF.html
      01-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the comments, due to not really doing big drives a lot in this car, I reckon its removal is a good option.

Not too fussed about the black tips, will just have to keep a cloth handy and clean it more often.

I spoke to a pal the other night who has had his removed from an Audi, and he said the car runs a lot better now, with better performance and MPG, and hardly any noticeable smoke.

Will let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Really interested in this too, be interested to see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #11
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Just finished on the phone with Top Gear - Bridport, who can do the Job for me (Have used them before)

1. Physical Removal of DPF, and fitting of Stainless steel replacement downpipe, specific to my car
2. ECU Recode to remove all DPF Functions
3. Choice of Economy or Performance tune Re-Map, with warranty and free removal / replacements as long as I own the vehicle.

£600 all in

3-4 hours work.

Think I will book this in for the end of the month.

Pipe used:

Constructed from 304 grade stainless, fully mandrel bent and TIG welded 3″ off the turbo steped down to 2.5″.

In regards to the "Performance" tune, what would be a reasonable & safe map I should look for ?

Last edited by craig2859; 01-07-2011 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

One thing i would advise is keep the old dpf. If m.o.t's change you could be looking at the car failing without the dpf being on & aiding emission results.

You can always clean the old one & re fit if things change & I'm 99% sure if you cleaned the old one it will give you another 50k miles.

I was thinking of putting mine on ebay but I will just hang on to it as I don't think mine is anywhere near blocked. Would have been just my luck to flog it then find out the rules have changed & I have to buy a new one..........

£600 fitted with a tune & dpf software removal is a good price. (having taken mine off with the help of my mate who is a mechanic & has his own workshop) I paid £350 for the pipe so that would only leave £250 for labour & remap.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'll 2nd ecotune's work, he operates not far from me and does a good job and very helpfull!

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/
      01-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylad View Post
One thing i would advise is keep the old dpf. If m.o.t's change you could be looking at the car failing without the dpf being on & aiding emission results.
Excellent point, I would never have thought of that ....... Thanks Jimmy
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
streetos
England
Rep
Drives: 325d coupe

Have you had it done yet, Craig? I'm thinking of having the same thing done and will be very interested to see how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

This is great info

i also wanted to remove the DPF,,, after reading this, i,m not afraid to do so

greets
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Does anyone know if DPF removal will fuck up your emissions test at MOT time?

If not right now, I imagine it may become a problem in the future...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Does anyone know if DPF removal will fuck up your emissions test at MOT time?

If not right now, I imagine it may become a problem in the future...

No I have checked and double checked, the answer is No - it is not mandatory for a Diesel Car to have a DPF, as its emissions they are checking, not soot particles.

(I was advised on here however to keep hold of the DPF, just in case it does become a legal requirement in the future, which is good advise I suppose)

I have mine booked in for next week.

Report to follow
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #19
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2859 View Post
No I have checked and double checked, the answer is No - it is not mandatory for a Diesel Car to have a DPF, as its emissions they are checking, not soot particles.

(I was advised on here however to keep hold of the DPF, just in case it does become a legal requirement in the future, which is good advise I suppose)

I have mine booked in for next week.

Report to follow
Awesome.

It makes sense, the emissions test is to test for gases not particulates.

As you say, keeping it so you can slap it on if/when needed is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2859 View Post

Even if it does become a legal requirement in future, they wouldn't apply it retrospectively, it would only apply to new cars built some time after the new law.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Booked in for an all day Job Thursday am.

The Guys told me they will remove DPF, fit the stainless down pipe, and clear the DPF from the ECU 100%.

I can then take it for a spin, and see what the difference is like.

Then I will return it and they will remap it from 231BHP - 273BHP (I forget the Torque change ?)

That way I get to feel the difference at both stages.

I can't wait

Goodbye Rear Tyres ..........
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

good post

so the only downside to dpf removal is more smoke from exhaust?
will it just dump it at certain times or will it be smokey most of the time in comparison?

for those looking at a remap the above quote with the dpf pipe all in is good