E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

02-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #8361
raptor335
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i convertible 2007

Garage List
Cobb Tuning for sale

Used it once for tune and once to return to factory settings. Asking $500

I used it for N54 E92:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #8362
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor335 View Post
Used it once for tune and once to return to factory settings. Asking $500

I used it for N54 E92:
You might be better off posting this in the
turbo engine for sale section. GLWS!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #8363
alwayseuro
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Xdrive

just did a data log. I did a pull in 2nd n 3rd. cobb said in hit 21.6 psi. Is this correct for a stage 1 aggressive tune??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #8364
Allen@MOTIV
Rep
Drives: 135i

Post the log. If you can; use datazap.me because it makes it much easier to view the log.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #8365
alwayseuro
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
Post the log. If you can; use datazap.me because it makes it much easier to view the log.
http://datazap.me/u/alwayseuro/stage1-2nd-n-3rd-gear

please lmk if I did it right its my first time doing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #8366
Allen@MOTIV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayseuro View Post
http://datazap.me/u/alwayseuro/stage1-2nd-n-3rd-gear

please lmk if I did it right its my first time doing it.
There is definitely some boost overshoot going on here. Quite severe, actually. However, the only time there is a huge spike is during the shift. Which is to be expected.

Other then the overboost issue the log looks pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #8367
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3N View Post
Flashed a new map (from PTF) onto the car today, and all appeared well. When i took it for a drive i noticed the transmission would start off in D2, then shift to D3 at a standstill and take off in D3. Sport mode would also start in S2 then S3. I have the Alpina TCU flash. I flashed other maps and it did the same thing. Eventually, i flashed back to the new map and took it for a drive.

Decided to drive in manual mode, 5 minutes into my drive the engine started to rev freely until about 3k rpm then settle back down and it was selecting gears as per normal.

Anyone experienced this or similar before? Its working fine now, but have concerns as to what may have caused this behaviour.
I have the 6AT/Alpina Flash and have noticed that if I drive the car immediately after flashing the car to a new map, that the trans incorrectly goes through the gears and then will randomly downshift. Usually after flashing, I try to wait 10-15 minutes (100% off) and this issue doesn't occur.

Results >
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #8368
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
I have the 6AT/Alpina Flash and have noticed that if I drive the car immediately after flashing the car to a new map, that the trans incorrectly goes through the gears and then will randomly downshift. Usually after flashing, I try to wait 10-15 minutes (100% off) and this issue doesn't occur.
In a sense, it is a relief that I am not alone in experiencing this. Anyone else? Although I haven't really noticed this on other occassions. But since my post until now, the transmission isn't acting up again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #8369
Allen@MOTIV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3N View Post
In a sense, it is a relief that I am not alone in experiencing this. Anyone else? Although I haven't really noticed this on other occassions. But since my post until now, the transmission isn't acting up again.
There has been some unusual activity reported immediately post flashing. There has been no longterm negative performance to the best of my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #8370
lfpontes
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 - AMS DP, COBB, BOV

HELP!

Hello,

I own a 335i E90 N54 auto here in Brazil.. It has AMS DP, K&N inbox, COBB, and AA BOV .

Everytime I change my current map with the cobb system, the car seems to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear for a while, and suddenly it drops to 1st after a few ft of driving and everything stays normal.
This only happens right after I switch the map, when I turn on the car. And only one time every time the map is switched.

Also, if I select Reverse before the car has dropped to 1st, there is a big CLUNK noise coming from the transmission.

Why does this happen? I cant seem to find any plausible answers on Google or any other source. Also, the car missfires a little bit in its first start in the morning.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #8371
33FAF
bimmzz35
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfpontes View Post
HELP!

Hello,

I own a 335i E90 N54 auto here in Brazil.. It has AMS DP, K&N inbox, COBB, and AA BOV .

Everytime I change my current map with the cobb system, the car seems to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear for a while, and suddenly it drops to 1st after a few ft of driving and everything stays normal.
This only happens right after I switch the map, when I turn on the car. And only one time every time the map is switched.

Also, if I select Reverse before the car has dropped to 1st, there is a big CLUNK noise coming from the transmission.

Why does this happen? I cant seem to find any plausible answers on Google or any other source. Also, the car missfires a little bit in its first start in the morning.

Thanks guys!
I am not sure but it Seems like its a transmission problem. Does it ever happen when you are on stock map? Does it happen when the car is cold more importantly when the transmission is still cold and things go back to normal after you've driven the car for a while? if so then i guess the valve body/tcu has a problem, i think its best to check if the transmission has stored any faults. Again i might be wrong just asking for clarifications.
      02-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #8372
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Smile

Quote:
HELP!

Hello,

Thanks guys!
Sounds normal for somebody with Cobb and Alpina TCU flash. I have it too and that is how it behaves. It goes away and acts fine in a few minutes.
MHD Self-Tuned Scaled FlexFuel Map | M-Boost | N20 Tmap | Helix IC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | BMS DCI | BMS Thermostat Delete | CP-E Charge Pipe | Tial-Q BOV | Apex Arc-8 Hyper Silver | Michelin PSS | Cool Carbon Brake Pads R/T | SS Brakelines | ECS 2-Piece Rotors F/R | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | KW-V1 Coilovers | Turner Strut Brace | Lux Angel Eyes | CF Kidneys | Scoops
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #8373
lfpontes
Rep

Also, someone mentioned here about a certain Turbo lag witht eh Cobb Stock maps, and that definently happens with my car.
Drove a friend´s 335i with a custom map, but considered Stage 1, and it was a LOT stronger down the rev band, while my car only wakes up mid-top the rev band.
It does not even feel like a TT car with that behaviour.

Is that normal for cobb map?
Im running Stage 2 agressive Without FMIC.
My car has the Alpina TCU, Downpipes, and BOV/chargepipe.

Any input on that would be very helpful!

Is there a way to download new Cobb maps, sort of updated ones?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #8374
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Also, someone mentioned here about a certain Turbo lag witht eh Cobb Stock maps, and that definently happens with my car.
Drove a friend´s 335i with a custom map, but considered Stage 1, and it was a LOT stronger down the rev band, while my car only wakes up mid-top the rev band.
It does not even feel like a TT car with that behaviour.

Is that normal for cobb map?
Im running Stage 2 agressive Without FMIC.
My car has the Alpina TCU, Downpipes, and BOV/chargepipe.

Any input on that would be very helpful!

Is there a way to download new Cobb maps, sort of updated ones?

Thanks!
Look at logs... There's a good chance that the car is still on boost & more powerful, it just feels (which is very subjective) "not as powerful". There's also a possibility that the PROtuner your friend used doesn't like to use lots of boost downlow, which logs once again would prove.

Not for nothing, it shouldn't be surprising that more lag exists vs. the OEM tune which peaks at 8-9 psi, when I believe even the Stage 1 Maps go to ~12 psi. You've raised the target, it will naturally take a little longer. By no means the N54 with stock turbos is laggy though, cause if you think it is just go for a ride in a big turbo EVO that probably won't go on boost until 5K.

Results >
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #8375
lfpontes
Rep

I understand, I own a Porsche 930 Turbo with Black Forest Racing engine, strocked to 3.5 liters and 1.5 kg boost on the bigger Turbo, while the stock car peaks at 0.8.
Now thats what I call a Turbo lag. Up until 4, 4.5K RPM, there no virtually no boost. Then, all hell brakes loose.

How can I measure data log, boost etc on Cobb? I am really a newbie with the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #8376
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

hey guys i have a question! on my log my req boost seems way high but my actual boost seems to be where it needs is this something normal on cobb? its my first log just trying to get a better understanding http://datazap.me/u/chepy24/log-1-ag?log=0&data=1-8-20
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #8377
Allen@MOTIV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepy24 View Post
hey guys i have a question! on my log my req boost seems way high but my actual boost seems to be where it needs is this something normal on cobb? its my first log just trying to get a better understanding http://datazap.me/u/chepy24/log-1-ag?log=0&data=1-8-20
There is two different boost measurements taken by the AP. There is absolute PSI which is what the DME uses for boost targets and then there is "boost" which is basically just for display purposes and is dispalyed in PSIg. Which is where your confusion is coming from. Compare boost mean abs and req boost abs NOT boost(psi).

PSIg + atmospheric = absolute PSI

As far as your log is concerned it looks pretty good aside from the boost oscillations you're having down low.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #8378
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
There is two different boost measurements taken by the AP. There is absolute PSI which is what the DME uses for boost targets and then there is "boost" which is basically just for display purposes and is dispalyed in PSIg. Which is where your confusion is coming from. Compare boost mean abs and req boost abs NOT boost(psi).

PSIg + atmospheric = absolute PSI

As far as your log is concerned it looks pretty good aside from the boost oscillations you're having down low.
ohhhhhh ok got it! thanks still learning but that is why i love these forums! on that boost oscillations is that something that is normal? i was told could be wastegates??? iv also heard those can be fixed when i get my custom map is that right?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #8379
Allen@MOTIV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepy24 View Post
ohhhhhh ok got it! thanks still learning but that is why i love these forums! on that boost oscillations is that something that is normal? i was told could be wastegates??? iv also heard those can be fixed when i get my custom map is that right?
In this case it appears it's an issue with the PID tables and should be resolved easily by a good tuner that is familiar with the N54.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #8380
dghits26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
HELP!

Hello,

Thanks guys!

that clunk is not your transmission. Its your floating brakes ,,,its a common issue with our cars .
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #8381
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman View Post
Sounds normal for somebody with Cobb and Alpina TCU flash. I have it too and that is how it behaves. It goes away and acts fine in a few minutes.
I've flashed Cobb maps with a variety of TCU flashes already in place (not just Alpina). I don't have any clunks or anything like that.

However, right after I flash a map and drive off the car seems to stay in 3rd gear until I get going fast enough for it to up shift to 4th. I see this behavior regardless of TCU flash. After it completes the first up shift to 4th then it reverts back to normal shifting behavior from there on out. I have a feeling this is standard behavior right after a new map is flashed. I have an 09 AT x drive.
      03-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #8382
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
How can I measure data log, boost etc on Cobb? I am really a newbie with the system.
Double check the default data log list, but here's a video done by COBB

Results >
Appreciate 0