E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel pump wait a thing of the past?

05-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #23
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
According to whom?

Service Advisor, at my BMW...i guess his sources are pretty accurate

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
treytreyfeva
Puro Pinche Party!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i TiAG

Still waiting for my fuel pump! Cars at Valencia BMW in SOCAL going on 5 weeks and no ETA
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #25
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M335i View Post
My cars been at the dealer for 40 days now because of the fuel pump failure. I was orignally told that they were not going to install any of the old (defective design) pumps into our cars.

I just got a call from my SA saying my car is ready to be picked up and had the updated fuel pump installed. Just wanted to see if there was any truth to this.

Also, because I paid the car in full, supposely they can't compensate me any cash for it. So I asked for them to install an alarm and get me the front lip on the aerokit. I was told the alarm won't be a problem but wasnt sure about the lip. Should I wait until they approve the compensation before I pick up the car or just get it now? I really want to go get it and drive it already.
I would be real interested to know if this is "new" updated version of the pump or the same pump that has been failing. According to sources it is the same Siemens pump with no changes. Anyway glad you got your pump. I can't imagine being without my car for that long. I'll tell you if it happened to me, I might be bring out the lemon law and be making a deal on an M5, or something until they get it straightened out.
You can get them to fill out an IOU when you pick up the car for things promised.
      05-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Just let the words "class action law suit" slip out...and I think you'll get what you want (as long as it's fair). "Lemon law" seems to be working well too, depending on what state you live in...

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
I was told that Siemens has ceased making the pumps and BMW is using up old inventory. Also that all Siemens pumps will be replaced in a recall when Bosch has the new pump in production. My service guy says it is going to be dicey for pumps in the next couple of months as Bosch gets up to speed. I am assuming they are using inventory for current production if this is true. They did order my oil cooler for my 12/06 production, sports pkg., steptronic though. I am knocking on wood till the fuel pump recall.

I asked my CA about this issue last week as I was concerned my car to be built next week would be getting the old or new pump. My CA said he was aware of the problem and that my dealer knew all about it, he firmly stated to me that BMW has changed manuf of the fuel pump and after researching it and calling me back stated that I would be getting the new fuel pump not the faulty one. So it appears current production are getting the new fuel pumps. What date they starting using them on current production cars? That is a good question and probably only inside information from the factory would one know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #28
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
I asked my CA about this issue last week as I was concerned my car to be built next week would be getting the old or new pump. My CA said he was aware of the problem and that my dealer knew all about it, he firmly stated to me that BMW has changed manuf of the fuel pump and after researching it and calling me back stated that I would be getting the new fuel pump not the faulty one. So it appears current production are getting the new fuel pumps. What date they starting using them on current production cars? That is a good question and probably only inside information from the factory would one know for sure.
Hey, we have the same build date! I've been beside myself waiting for this car...hopefully we'll have it by mid-July...

Nice to hear that we have the "new and improved" fuel pump...remains to be seen if it's actually true...

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
All i learned from this thread is that all Service Advisors are just spreading rumors. Who knows which one is right.

Hell my buddy who is a BMW tech says they dont have ANY fuel pump failures at his dealer. They do have steering lock issues but thats mostly on eariler 330s.
      05-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #30
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytreyfeva View Post
Still waiting for my fuel pump! Cars at Valencia BMW in SOCAL going on 5 weeks and no ETA
At least our cars are keeping each other company.

Mine's at Valencia as well.
At the Oil Cooler retrofit is done, while awaiting my fuel pump.

Talked to Rick Cook just an hour ago when I was there..... NO ETA !!!

You got a loaner at least ? I just love the POS Buick I'm in....

L E M O N !!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #31
Viperjp7
Fknfst (if you have to ask you don't need to know)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Does the lemon law have an expriation date?? I got my car back in Sept and I already have alittle over 8k miles on it. I guess the good thing for me is my pump isn't out yet it is just starting to show some symptoms of failure.
      05-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #32
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

it's different in every state.

In Cali, if it's within 18 mos of purchase and in the shop 30+ days.

kj
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #33
sp8w
Always Lurking
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Garage List
2007 M5  [0.00]
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Got my car back today with new pump after waiting 8 weeks. For the past week I was 64th on the backorder list and hadn't moved which is what prompted the Parts Manager to call the Tech Line. That was when they told him there was no more waiting list and to contact his Regional Rep to release a pump for my car.

You guys who are still waiting for a HPP might want to press the issue in person at the dealership to see if they get the same result when they call the tech line.

BTW, mine was only the second car ever at the dealership that has had the HPP issue. They are not a huge dealer though.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #34
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there anyone out there who still has a car at the dealers waiting for a fuel pump for a while?
Mine's been in since March 13th. So on June 13th it'll be three months waiting for the pump. My dealer's service director called me in this past Friday to discuss the matter with me. As the time passage clearly makes the California Lemon Law applicable to my car, they have offered me a new car. But I don't want to wait two more months for a car. (Mine only has 6,000 miles on it, and I would prefer to have that one back.) If I wait for them to fix my car, they will offer me a monetary settlement. I would have to waive my Lemon Law rights, but only up to that point in time. And any future mechanical failure would not be waived.

The service director told me the problem with the pumps is that they don't want to put in pumps with the same flaw, and there may be EPA and Customs issues related to new pumps, which would add to the delay.

So my plan at the moment is to wait until the 13th, the three month date. And if my car hasn't been fixed by then, to go ahead and get a new car.

What I'd really like is a convertible, and given my three months waiting, I wonder if they could get me one at cost and structure it so that I have the exact same payment. (I'm on a two-year, 15K mile lease; so three months w/out my car is pretty significant.) Can anyone comment on that possibility?
      05-30-2007, 12:56 AM   #35
Park828
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

any march builds with problems?? i have 1500 miles on mine and it started the long crank start... i was hoping for it to be a fluke but it happened 4 times now . should i call the SA now? man! $52k and all this?
      05-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #36
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

I have a March 07 build with the slow start/long crank issue. Mine has 2,050 miles and it's 5 weeks old.

I started to notice this about 1 week ago. It has a slow crank if it has been sitting for more than 12hrs. If I drive it and park for about 4hrs or so, it will start right up no problems.

I am beginning to dread the next 1,000 miles...
      05-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #37
Viperjp7
Fknfst (if you have to ask you don't need to know)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Well I just called my dealership and they will look at the car to see if the fuel pump is going out even though as of right now I'm not throwing any codes. They will also give me a free rental while mine is being looked at. The S/A was telling me that no car has been reported in to there dealership with this problem. But they also advised me that they would order the part before it actaully fails if they see a problem with it. So the car goes in next week Tuesday
      05-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #38
JustxOnce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535xi

My car has been at the dealer since the 1st of this month (30 days CA) and still no eta on the pump....what to do?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #39
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Just let the words "class action law suit" slip out...and I think you'll get what you want (as long as it's fair). "Lemon law" seems to be working well too, depending on what state you live in...
Since BMW owners are a sophisticated crowd, we must have a lawyer in this forum, don't we?
      05-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #40
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

I don't want to rub it in but I kicked up a fuss and my SA searched the world, found a pump in singapore, had it air-freighted overnight to Melbourne and I was back on the road in a week. BTW the service guys were hopeless. My advice- go through the SA's. After all they are the ones who want to sell you another car in 3 years when your lease expires!!!
      05-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #41
derrick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, i03 i3s, f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Since BMW owners are a sophisticated crowd, we must have a lawyer in this forum, don't we?
i consulted with one lawyer friend.. and this was the response

-------

Thanks for consulting with us regarding your problem with your BMW’s high pressure fuel pump. I discussed this matter with my partners. Our problem with bringing a class action lawsuit on your behalf is that presumably your car is still under warranty, so there are no out of pocket damages. I understand there is extreme inconvenience about the delay in waiting for the part, but that is not an issue that we could litigate on a class wide basis, since everyone with the problem would have had an individual experience. And, it is nearly impossible to quantify damages as a dollar figure for value of inconvenience.

I appreciate your consulting us;

--------
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #42
MBMWTECH
BMW TECH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I SEDAN - 2008 BMW 750

My car is a feb 07 production - fuel pump is on it way out - starting condition is getting worse and worse every day. pretty soon it will take a total dump.

Im pretty sure the reason for the hold up is that they put a freeze on the bad parts and are waiting for a new part number to be produced in sufficient supply. thats why the wait can be 2 months or more
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #43
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I just had a rough shaky start on my new fuel pump.. its only been 2 weeks since i had it replaced... I really hope its not dying again.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #44
335hopefull
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: thinking about 335 sdn auto sp

not a thing of the past
Appreciate 0