E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > My new E91 LCI LED Angel Eyes from JuicedUp Tuning

06-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
chanlon1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i M sport

My new E91 LCI LED Angel Eyes from JuicedUp Tuning

After a long time of searching online, looking for the right LED's, I ended up buying the following from Neil at JuicedUp Tuning:
http://www.juiceduptuning.co.uk/shop...duct.asp?ID=39

Got them very quickly via Next Day Special Delivery

As my car is a 2010 touring E91 LCI, I was concerned that the connection to the angel eyes, would cause a problem, but Neil confirmed that the kit came with the correct connectors to fit.

Here's a pic of what came in the box:
2 7000K LED's
4 new screws
T15 torx screwdriver
8mm & 10mm socket set
2 new connectors

After using the torx and sockets to remove the wheel arches and existing angel eye bulbs, I connected the new LEd's up to make sure they worked:

The packaged kit came with everything needed to do this.

Due to the design of the bulbs, the existing T15 screws could be reused, but they would only be holding the new LED's by a few threads. The screws that come with the kit, are a bit longer and screw into the existing holes.
I also confirmed that the existing T15 screws would screw back in again ok in the event I needed to put them back on again.

Apologies for my crap iphone4 photo skills.......

Standard Halogen:

One LED installed:

LED close up:

Both LED's installed:

LED's at night:

No errors/strange things have appeared/happened, and the Check Control system is reporting no problems

Overall thoughts......
Very pleased with both product and JuicedUp Tuning.
I'm aware that during daytime, the LED's can sometimes be difficult to see if they are actually on or not, but certainly at dusk/evening, they appear fine.
To be honest, it was more for looks that actually lighting!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
ab2pcs
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport plus

Garage List
looking very good ....and that's my mind made up ,its me next I'd say
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

They do look good

Think I'd only upgrade if they were bright in daylight though like on the new Bimmers. Is there no solution for this?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
robreed27
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M SPORT 2012

Looks good you dont have any pics in day just to give me an idea i have a 2006 e90 with lci halogen headlights tempted to get the kit you instaled looks good. Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
chanlon1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreed27 View Post
Looks good you dont have any pics in day just to give me an idea i have a 2006 e90 with lci halogen headlights tempted to get the kit you instaled looks good. Rob
The pic titled "both LEDs installed" was taken at around 3.30pm on quite a bright day.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
PJJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330D

They look pretty decent to me. I've been going round in circles too, looking at different threads to upgrade my pre LCI E91 xenons.

Could you summarise your research and say why you chose these.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

they look good, I've been searching around trying to find a solution to the dull yellow angel eyes on the LCI halogens, and it seems that we might just have to live with the fact that they wont ever be as bright as the ones like on the new bmw's

Did you fit these OK without removing bumper? Im getting repair work done sometime this week on my bumper so was hoping to get these ordered in time so I can fit them while my bumper is off at the body shop

Also... I thought about putting more suitable (whiter light) bulbs in the fogs while the bumper is off to match the colour of these, think i've seen gp thunder mentioned sumwhere for replacement fog bulbs? if anyone can offer me any advice regarding fog lamp bulbs.. my cars a e90 SE pre LCI btw, with LCI Halogens obviously
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
chanlon1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJJ View Post
They look pretty decent to me. I've been going round in circles too, looking at different threads to upgrade my pre LCI E91 xenons.

Could you summarise your research and say why you chose these.
Research:
Scoured the lots of different 3 series forums etc to see what other people had been doing/trying.
Looked at a lot of UK based companys that deal in HID, Xenon and LED's.

Why JuicedUp?
The wiring on the LCI lights has a strange plastic connector, and more often than not, the photos/products on websites don't show or indicate that you need a special adaptor to connect to the existing wiring loom - even though most of them say "direct plug n play"
Having emailed lots of companies asking if they were direct plug n play, the majority got back to me saying "yes". Some didnt bother.
On further questioning about the special connector, not one single company confirmed - they all just said "they connect directly".

Neil from JuicedUp was the only one that actually physically stated there was a connector that wasnt shown in the photo on their website.

Also, with JuicedUp being approved by e90post, I didnt see any issues dealing with them.

E90liv
I didnt have to remove the bumper, just the plastic arches behind the wheels.
The only reason for doing this was to gain easier access to the bulbs.
Its possible that you could do the passenger side without removing the arch, but the space is really tight. The drivers side would be impossible.

My recommendation, spend an hour taking the arches off beforehand so you get a feel of what need done. Jack the car up, unscrew about 8 screws, and your done. Hardest part is getting the arch back on!

As you have a preLCI, I'm not sure if you can get away with the above or you would have to remove the bumper....mine is a 2010 LCI
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

placed my order

well im going to try fit them while the my bumper is getting repaired later on in the week, if not I will try fitting them through the flap in the arch, I don't have a car jack so can't remove the wheel/wheel arch trim so easy. I have removed the bumper before when fitting the LCI halogens, not too bad a job actually just want to avoid if possible
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
ab2pcs
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport plus

Garage List
Placed an order also ...great post Chanlon1.....let there be light !!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Can we have some updates on how easy it was fitting to a pre lci,please?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Guys, it been a bit manic since this post and we have 0 stock. New stock has been ordered and expected in 7-10 days.

If you've ordered and not got an email then stock has been allocated to your order so no need to worry.

Cheers

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Tredvesone
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Ordered (And waiting...) hehe... looking forward to it tho!

Great support Neil

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

great job there, looks well
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #15
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just arrived :-D 

I'm going to have a go at fitting them via the flap in the wheel arch. I will post pics up later

Just to clarify to anyone reading this thread, my car is a pre-LCI e90 - However my headlights are LCI Halogens!

I think my earlier post may have caused some confusion 
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #16
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Looks great Colin ! (Didnt know you had a E91 LCI now! )

I'd like to change mine, I have Xenons though so I'll have a look at the juicedup packages....... hmmmm Cant find an LCI Xenon package http://www.juiceduptuning.co.uk/exterior_lighting.asp Or is it just the H8 bulbs I require? Didnt know you could get H8 options, thought it was all LED?

Does your LCI have DRL's? Are the LED's any brighter in DRL mode compared to side lights?

Last edited by Dizzle; 06-07-2011 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #17
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Have they affected radio reception at all - I have had 2 different sets in the M3 and both have been removed due to the loss of FM stations, and interference on the ones that remained tuneable!

The do look great however and the looks did win me over for a while, but a car without a radio made no sense!

All the ones I have tried have also been plug and play and fitted via the snap on covers on the top of the headlight. Mine has the non Lci- E92 lights tho' so might be different to the usual E90 LCi light units?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #18
chanlon1
United Kingdom
Rep

neil@JuicedUpTuning
Out of stock now...I should have been on commission

Dizzle
Yep - got rid of the 335i - was fed up on giving the petrol station so much money each week!
Check with neil@JuicedUpTuning to see if there is anything he can help with regarding what you need.
I do have DRL's, but havent confirmed if they are brighter or not when they are activated, the problem with the E91 LCI is that the DRLs are the halos and the low beam together - not just the halos, so its difficult to tell.

M3-FAST
I actaully havent checked the radio out as I dont really listen to it - normally just have the iphone playing instead.
I'll try to remember to check the radio reception on the way home tonight
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well they arrived this morning, and I took some pictures to show the installation process - once again my car is a pre-LCI E90, with LCI Halogens…

So the stock LCI Halgoens look like this:

I was going to try fitting these through the access flaps that are in the front wheel arches, however the flaps are kind of in the wrong place to give access to where I needed to get too.. The passenger side of the engine bay has lots of room, no need to remove the wheel arch liner or anything else!

Passenger side of the car:

Rear of the light cluter:

Pull down the metal retainer clip, to release and remove the plastic cover:

This the the OEM angel eye bulb holder:

And the connector that clips onto the OEM angel eye bulb:

This picture shows the new LED unit, connected to the OEM power connector using the adaptor that is included with the product mentioned at the top of this thread:

Testing the LEDs work:

Removing the OEM angel eye bulb unit:

The OEM angel eye bulb close up:

you can see here where the OEM one lived, and where the new LED unit will go:

now this is the OEM screw that holds the OEM angel eye bulb unit in place, its a torx? use the green screwdriver that comes with the kit to unscrew this:

this is the one of the four new screws that came with the product, as you can see its not a torx screw. not a big issue, but I couldn't find a screwdriver small enough at home to fit in the tight space of the drivers side of the car/engine bay:

the new led unit plumbed in:

some pictures of the new LED angel eyes:

comparison of the OEM angel eye (LEFT) and new LED unit (RIGHT):

angel eyes switched off:

the drivers side angel eye is switched off (power disconnected to it), the passenger side is the LED unit:

This is the driver side of the engine bay. A lot less space! But still possible to change the angel eye light unit over without removing any wheel arch trim. Once again the flap thats inside the wheel arch is of no use:

here is the flap inside the wheel arch by the way, just for reference only:

Now the black container (brake fluid?) was getting in my way, so using the 10mm socket that was included in the pack, I simply removed the nuts, and moved it over to make more room:

Removing the plastic cover from the rear of the headlight cluster:

The angel eye light unit can now be seen, in the fairly tight space:

Both LED angel eyes now fitted:

So I hope these pics and the write up helps, I would advise before you start that you find a philips screwdriver thats of a similar length to the green torx screwdriver was was included in the pack - as space is tight on the drivers side of the car

my other tip would be that the plastic wheel are covers can be pushed out the way (they sort of bend), as my philips screwdriver was double the length of the torx screwdriver I had to force/persuade the wheel arch liner to bend out my way

good luck guys, I will get some pictures later when it gets dark. It was overcast today when these pictures where taken, but was quite a fairly bright overcast day, so the angel eyes are visible when looking at them, but obviously not ultra bright like the new BM angel eyes / audi DRL lights Im happy though!

Oh and just one more picture: My car outside the Moscow State Circus, with the OEM angel eyes on. Taken last week ;-)

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
chanlon1
United Kingdom
Rep

E90liv
Looks good and glad you're happy.

Defo agree that they arent as bright as the new ones or Audi type LED's, but I believe that is symptomatic of all of these LED type add-ons
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
chanlon1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Have they affected radio reception at all
I checked the reception of FM tonight coming home, and it appeared fine - no crackling, perfectly normal
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #22
Tredvesone
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

"Likes" E90Livīs post!

@chanlon1: Thanks for the reception info. Good to know
Appreciate 0