E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got Called an A-hole This Morning

07-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #89
Zaky56
Must Stop the Fuel Pump Epidemic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
You must be picturing some little old man in your scenario. Up here in norcal, that sort of behavior might just get you your ass handed to ya.
Why because someone lashes at at u and instead of over reacting and feeding into the bitterness of others, we decide to laugh and take it lightly. . Cuz in the end it really is a joke. SHARE THE ROAD!! Keyword SHARE!!

Or do u like to play safety patrol?? We got Cops for that.
      07-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #90
Zaky56
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0asis View Post
it's a good sign you admit some of your aggressiveness. you should listen to him (and yourself), and slow down. no matter how good you think you are.. you're not. no one is. especially with children in the backseat.. take it easy. It's better to be 1 minute late vs the alternative of being seriously hurt.
I honestly just think if people would share the road as to being greedy there would be less road rage, and accidents. If someone is coming up fast just get outta the way. . Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

And above all of this is safety of course.. U need to know how to drive to drive fast.
      07-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #91
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crutch 325i View Post
My friend said the breaking was rather impressive.
What'd he break?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #92
Zaky56
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
What'd he break?
ohhh man the BRAKES are great on these cars. They stop on a dime! lol
      07-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #93
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

that's what I'd like to know, so many people mix brake with break
Quote:
What'd he break?
      07-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #94
E90Russ
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (E90)

Just slow down for your own sake.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #95
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucas730 View Post
Do you have a reference for your supposed story because quite frankly, I doubt it. The law IS, in no uncertain terms, that you need to stay to the right if you are not keeping up with the normal speed of traffic. Period. This is precisely to cut down on left lane vigilantes, a form of road rage.

There was a video floating around a while back of a group driving side by side holding up traffic around Atlanta, but no one was ever charged in that incident.
This happened back in 1993/1994 so the main source for the information (Baltimore sun) doesn't have the information for free on the net and blogs weren't prevalent back then. I have searched for any reference to it, but there isn't anything. I saw the story on WJZ-13 back when it happened. BTW - Maryland does NOT have a law requiring you to stay right (they considered it about 2 years ago but never passed it) MD raised the speed limit to 65 in 94/95 with the justification of "The roads are safer when the speed limit is closer to the speeds actually traveled on the road"

Anyway, it is a paradox, because if you write someone a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic by driving the speed limit, you are therefor ENDORSING speeding, and once that person gets convicted of impeding the flow of traffic while driving the speed limit, they now have a solid argument for defense of speeding tickets (and I mean minor, like 10 over) by citing precedent that driving the speed limit is impeding the flow of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #96
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What'd he break?
Brain fart....I have been having severe headaches the last couple weeks that can make it hard to concentrate at times. Fioricet isn't even helping some times
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #97
DamnitDavid
Chocolate Wasted 24/7 365
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R and '09 M3 AW

90mph + narrow roads = Darwinism?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #98
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I ask you to show us the law that says this. As far as I know, this is not legal or required in any state. Even in Germany on the Autobaum, get caught flashing the headlights will get you a ticket. The German law is that slower cars must move to the right if a faster car is approaching them if they do not then they get a ticket, assuming you have an officer around.
California Vehicle Code Section 21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

Source: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21753.htm
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #99
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
You must be picturing some little old man in your scenario. Up here in norcal, that sort of behavior might just get you your ass handed to ya.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #100
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
I swear, one day when some a$$hole doesnt move to the right from the far left lane, I will do something really bad to him/her, so I can be in the news, and all other shitheads can see what will happen to them if they do not move to the right when clearly they are not the fastest on the road.
Just typoing this makes me mad, and you can call me phyco or whatever you want, but one day my nerves will snap, and I will brake someone's head, especially if he/she steps on the brakes when I am trying to pass in the far left lane....ughhhhh ughhhhh\

Sorry but I had to VENT
I hope you got THAT out of your system. It will be interesting when you make the news and all other sensible people get to see what happens to a$$holes like you as you're "sent up the river".
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #101
Bram335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 AW

My thoughts on your story is that you deserve to be called an "asshole." The guy is giving you valid reasons and you are admiting that he is probably right and you may even go up to 90mph on this twisty road.

There are a lot of people that get killed out there due to speeding and poor judgement. You may think that you only pass when you see the clear road. But one of these days you may make a false move that can cost you your life. You shall be thankful for the things you have - be a role model you to your child and act like a responsible adult. I have respect for the guy who came up to tell you and warn you about the risks of speeding and to remind you that people have died on the road due to speeding. He seems to be concerned about other people like yourself getting killed. I hope the next time you act in such manner - he or someone else does turn you in. If you are not thankful for your own life - please don't risk other innocent lives on the road.

People like yourself give us BMW driver a bad name.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #102
Zaky56
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
+1.
Ohh yea cuz its sooooooooo much more different in NorCal. We got those wanna be tough guys down here too. In the end drive like an a$$ get treated like one. and that goes both ways.

Learn how to drive (high speeds and low), be safe and shut it.

Most importantly enjoy the awesomeness of BMW.
The End.
      07-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #103
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
California Vehicle Code Section 21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

Source: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21753.htm
I stand corrected
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #104
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What's the big deal going fast with or w/o a child in the car? Do those that make comments like that drive 65mph with a child in the car? Follow ALL traffic laws? Cmon...just use common sense and be careful. That's all that can be said. The risk taker is the one gambling.
________
Website Design
________
SR50R

Last edited by HappyG; 05-17-2011 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #105
Geoff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan

some bimmer drivers need to stop perpetuating that bimmer drivers are assholes, I see them too often

I just drove into work and saw a brand new e92 335 (with dealer paper plate) pulled over by a cop, what an idiot haha.
2007 328i Sedan | Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum Trim | Steptronic | Premium | Sport | Comfort Access | Xenon | Logic 7 | Clear Bra | Alarm | Chrome Tips | Black Lines | PIAA 6500K Angel Eyes | Nokya 7000K DRLs
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #106
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I appreciate all the comments both for positive and negative. Like I said, it has made me think, and I found myself very conscience of my speed all day. I plan to keep that up. I did want to clear some things up though.

- I was not doing 90. 70-75 at the fastest. I mentioned this earlier. It is not possible to do 90 on this road between the turns, especially in traffic. At least not with my 330. Even if it was, I’m not that stupid. The guy said I was doing 90. Hell even 55 seems fast on these roads. That’s how he was able to follow me. If I going that fast I’d have been long gone. That’s not to say I never do 90+ or pass people going that fast, but not on that road.

- I was not cutting anyone off. I was passing in a legal passing zone when there was not oncoming traffic.

- I was not pushing anyone off the road. It is a back road but it is a two lane.

- The guy did not have any kids with him. He was alone.

- By German law, unless you are in a village or there is otherwise a posted limit you drive to fit the road and weather conditions. The road is twisty, but in good shape, and it was clear and dry.

But like I said. I see where the guy was coming from and will be more considerate and less aggressive from now on.

Anyway, good feedback from everyone, and I will defiantly take it all to heart. Obviously I have room for improvement.
      07-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #107
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

well said, croaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker View Post
I appreciate all the comments both for positive and negative. Like I said, it has made me think, and I found myself very conscience of my speed all day. I plan to keep that up. I did want to clear some things up though.

- I was not doing 90. 70-75 at the fastest. I mentioned this earlier. It is not possible to do 90 on this road between the turns, especially in traffic. At least not with my 330. Even if it was, I’m not that stupid. The guy said I was doing 90. Hell even 55 seems fast on these roads. That’s how he was able to follow me. If I going that fast I’d have been long gone. That’s not to say I never do 90+ or pass people going that fast, but not on that road.

- I was not cutting anyone off. I was passing in a legal passing zone when there was not oncoming traffic.

- I was not pushing anyone off the road. It is a back road but it is a two lane.

- By German law, unless you are in a village or there is otherwise a posted limit you drive to fit the road and weather conditions. The road is twisty, but in good shape, and it was clear and dry.

But like I said. I see where the guy was coming from and will be more considerate and less aggressive from now on.

- The guy did not have any kids with him. He was alone.

Anyway, good feedback from everyone, and I will defiantly take it all to heart. Obviously I have room for improvement.
      07-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #108
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker View Post
Actually, when you are outside "city limits" (or town, or village) and there isn't a posted speed limit and you are on something other than an autobahn, the speed limit is 100km/h unless otherwise marked. SO, 100km/h (62mph) is the speed limit on that road unless otherwise posted. Only on the autobahn does no posted speed limit mean "drive to fit the road and weather (AND TRAFFIC) conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #109
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Ahhhh. Noted.
      07-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #110
Roundelman
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335 (pending)

I read/hear 'asshole' and 'BMW' synonomous with one another more than any other related car brand, ie, Acura, Lexus, Audi. Except for maybe Porsche.
Why do assholes like BMW's so much? It's a great car that's getting such a bad rep from it's buyers. "There goes another a-hole BMW driver" is just too common. It's making me have doubts about buying one because I love the car, but who the hell wants that stigma posed on him? Wish there was some imperical data on this somewhere. An Asshole:BMW ratio metric maybe....
Appreciate 0