E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 10 x64 (64-bit)

04-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #155
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkarot View Post
As per 808AWD325xi, he said disable UIF write in WinKFP. I should have the following 4 UIF Options unchecked in WinKFP?

UIF write after data
UIF write after program
UIF write in expert mode
UIF write in comfort mode
Yes, that's correct.
      05-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #156
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BLack 2008 335i

I have a 6 month old white board K+DCAN cable I bought off of Amazon 6 months ago. I checked the PID and chips and it is supposed to be legit. Pin 7 & 8 are NOT bridged.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit and I am wondering what is the minimum install to test the cable. I was hoping it was d-can and drivers. Every time I run d-can, the red light on the cable goes out and it says cable not found. I need to reset by unplugging.

I ran obdsetup and adjusted the registry key so everything runs perfect. I set com port and latency to 1.

My working theory it is a communication problem between the computer and cable. What is the quickest way to test? Can I run a serial utility and send commands?

How to import a BMW into Canada without getting rear ended
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #157
Daver610
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coup

3 Days and counting.....

Hi All - Thanks for this detailed instruction. This car coding issue is new to me. I've been working on this for days primarily just to change my E92 battery and not pay the dealer/local shop an extra $200+. Anyway, trying really hard to follow the instructions carefully (to avoid the dreaded ) and I'm almost done.

My biggest problem is that all of the images in the post don't display for me and I'm relying solely on the text. Where the picture should be I get, "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting........www. photobucket.com/p500"

Second issue is that I can't find anyway to use cmd.exe in windows 10 64 bit. Hence, I've been using PowerShell. It seems to work fine, but the "/V" command doesn't work and I've just been omitting that code when copying. Are the "/V" and other "/?" commands necessary?

Next issue is this step:

Go to the E89\DATEN directory and execute the LADEN.BAT script.
Code:
C:\>cd /d X:\E89\DATEN
X:\E89\DATEN>laden.bat

Since I can't see the images (Photobucket.com/P500 problem), I'm likely missing something important. "X" has always referenced the location where the rar files were extracted. PowerShell is giving me a "The term "laden.bat" is not recognized......" error? I was able to run Laden.bat inside of File Explorer but the screen flashed so fast that I couldn't see what occurred. Anyway, I when it completed the dialog box closed and never gave me an option to "Continue." I don't really understand what this step is for.....what now?

Lastly, regarding the below coding: The renaming was fine, but I'm having trouble finding these file locations. The entire instructions were rather specific regarding the file paths until I got to this point. i.e. where is the "NCSEXPER.EXE" that I'm supposed to copy to C:\NCSEXPER\BIN?

Where is the source for "copy *.PFL" OR "copy INFO.GER INFO.ENG"

Edit: I think I figured it out. Are these sources from the original saved files to USB from the first install....USB X:\NCSEXPER32 X:\NCS EXPER PROFILES, ETC.?

Example:
Code:
rename C:\NCSEXPER\BIN\NCSEXPER.EXE NCSEXPER.OLD
rename C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT\NCSEXPER.TXT NCSEXPER.GER
copy NCSEXPER.EXE C:\NCSEXPER\BIN /v
copy NCSEXPER.TXT C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT /v

Copy the NCS Expert profiles to the C:\NCSEXPER\PFL folder.

Example:
Code:
copy *.PFL C:\NCSEXPER\PFL /v
Copy the NFS INFO.GER file to avoid a nuisance error in WinKFP.

Example:
Code:
cd C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GDATEN
copy INFO.GER INFO.ENG /v

Anyway, great write-up and very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Daver610; 07-16-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #158
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver610 View Post
Hi All - Thanks for this detailed instruction. This car coding issue is new to me. I've been working on this for days primarily just to change my E92 battery and not pay the dealer/local shop an extra $200+. Anyway, trying really hard to follow the instructions carefully (to avoid the dreaded ) and I'm almost done.

My biggest problem is that all of the images in the post don't display for me and I'm relying solely on the text. Where the picture should be I get, "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting........www. photbucket.com/p500"

Second issue is that I can't find anyway to use cmd.exe in windows 10 64 bit. Hence, I've been using PowerShell. It seems to work fine, but the "/V" command doesn't work and I've just been omitting that code when copying. Are the "/V" and other "/?" commands necessary?

Next issue is this step:

Go to the E89\DATEN directory and execute the LADEN.BAT script.
Code:
C:\>cd /d X:\E89\DATEN
X:\E89\DATEN>laden.bat

Since I can't see the images (Photobucket.com/P500 problem), I'm likely missing something important. "X" has always referenced the location where the rar files were extracted. PowerShell is giving me a "The term "laden.bat" is not recognized......" error?

Lastly, regarding the below coding: The renaming was fine, but I'm having trouble finding these file locations. The entire instructions were rather specific regarding the file paths until I got to this point. i.e. where is the "NCSEXPER.EXE" that I'm supposed to copy to C:\NCSEXPER\BIN?

Where is the source for "copy *.PFL" OR "copy INFO.GER INFO.ENG"

Example:
Code:
rename C:\NCSEXPER\BIN\NCSEXPER.EXE NCSEXPER.OLD
rename C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT\NCSEXPER.TXT NCSEXPER.GER
copy NCSEXPER.EXE C:\NCSEXPER\BIN /v
copy NCSEXPER.TXT C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT /v

Copy the NCS Expert profiles to the C:\NCSEXPER\PFL folder.

Example:
Code:
copy *.PFL C:\NCSEXPER\PFL /v
Copy the NFS INFO.GER file to avoid a nuisance error in WinKFP.

Example:
Code:
cd C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GDATEN
copy INFO.GER INFO.ENG /v

Anyway, great write-up and very much appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Unfortunately, unless photo scum bucket changes their policies...

I don't know anything about it or its functionality, but a virtual machine image is available here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220039
      07-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #159
Daver610
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coup

Not totally worthless

Many, many thanks. It's all working and I never did get the images in the instruction figured out. Thank goodness for some old DOS coding memories which I haven't used in 30 years. These instruction were so good that a relative newbie could successfully complete getting INPA running with only the text instructions.....WELL DONE! Thank you
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #160
ss109
'Ringer
Rep
Drives: 1990 325i, 2007 335i

Is it possible to move the images in the original post to a new host?

Brilliant write-up; thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #161
esberelias
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

OP should of just made a PDF File version just upload it to google drive and share here... that's pretty silly we can't view the pics because of stupid photo bucket policy (or what ever photo client it was uploaded to)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #162
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Can u update this thread with new pictures?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #163
Pichuks
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 530d 2006

Hello!
So i`m trying to code folding mirrors,but with no sucess,with my bmw 530d e61 2006.
My NCS expert FOLDER is downloaded from link,where guys from another forum told,that it is working fine. (already tried diffrent version,same error appears).
My steps are:Open NCS expert,load profile (revtor,or expertmode) ,press F1,then F3,choose CAS,and get error : "FOLLOWiNG FEATURE IS INVALID FOR: FA$510 "
So basicly i cant read my car,cant make FSW file,can anyone know whats the problem?
INPA is working fine.
NCS version is: 3.1.0 Daten is updated to V60,my car have V53.5
The TRC and MAN files in "work" folder are empty,and the size of them is 0 bytes
Can someone help me?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #164
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichuks View Post
Hello!
So i`m trying to code folding mirrors,but with no sucess,with my bmw 530d e61 2006.
My NCS expert FOLDER is downloaded from link,where guys from another forum told,that it is working fine. (already tried diffrent version,same error appears).
My steps are:Open NCS expert,load profile (revtor,or expertmode) ,press F1,then F3,choose CAS,and get error : "FOLLOWiNG FEATURE IS INVALID FOR: FA$510 "
So basicly i cant read my car,cant make FSW file,can anyone know whats the problem?
INPA is working fine.
NCS version is: 3.1.0 Daten is updated to V60,my car have V53.5
The TRC and MAN files in "work" folder are empty,and the size of them is 0 bytes
Can someone help me?
Try reading from another module that's listed in the beginning. If it is "FA$510" that's listed in the FA, that needs to be changed to "$510". You can also try opening up the FA.TRC file in C:\NCSEXPER\BIN folder (while NCS is open), remove that option manually and see if that will let you continue.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #165
Pichuks
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 530d 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Try reading from another module that's listed in the beginning. If it is "FA$510" that's listed in the FA, that needs to be changed to "$510". You can also try opening up the FA.TRC file in C:\NCSEXPER\BIN folder (while NCS is open), remove that option manually and see if that will let you continue.
the error appears in any ECU,the same error.
Now i updated the NCS version,the error is litle bit diffrent. But anyways,i cant read VO,create my cars FSW file. The error now is like this,and if i press OK,therte is only my FG,the FA is blank
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #166
sandman15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

not sure if there is an easy fix to this

Thank you so much for the help on this post. I have one issue holding me up and was hoping that there is a fix for it. I installed everything as instructed but when I get into NCS Expert and read my car the F4 button to Process ECU is not available. If anyone has an idea that would address this issue any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #167
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

This is a PDF of the original install process (working pictures),
Attached Images
File Type: pdf How to setup BMW standard tools 2.12 Windows 10 x64.pdf (6.77 MB, 1168 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #168
Knerve
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

Everything works perfectly for my e92 but how would I add another chassis on the same computer? I'm trying to work on an e46 also so would I just redo the whole second part of the tutorial (After you reinstall windows again) with the spdaten files for the e46? Or will that mess up all the files I already have for my e92?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:02 AM   #169
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009-335D Pack M

Adding my 2 cent: if you want to also use NFS (WinKFP correctly configured before) just choose in Tab + Properties Windows 7 compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #170
530D13
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 530D 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
Here my answers to some Frequently Asked Questions, in no particular order. I will update this FAQ over time. This is not intended to replace, but rather augment official BMW Group documentation.

1. What are integration levels? (Also referred to as I-level, I-step, and I-stage)

During development of a given chassis (i.e. E90) and subsequent upgrades and/or fixes, integration levels are defined. An integration level is a defined vehicle configuration from an electrical standpoint (hardware and software) that is validated by BMW. There are three integration level states:
  • Plant -- the integration level of the vehicle when it left the factory
  • Dealer -- the current integration level
  • Backup -- the last integration level
The integration level designation is comprised of the system reference, SOP date (SOP=Start Of Production) and the I-level.

Example: "E89X-13-07-501"

E89X: System reference
13: Year of introduction
07: Month of introduction
501: I-level of the system reference

2. How do I determine the current integration level of my vehicle?

You can display your current (dealer) integration level with INPA...E90 -> Select E90 -> Functional Jobs -> <Shift> + <F2> Vehicle data:

3. Do I need a newer SP Daten to code my vehicle?

That depends upon your current integration level. Integration levels correlate to Progman (older) and ISTA/P software versions (current.) Your integration level tells you the minimum SP Daten needed to code your car. Google bmw group ista/p version and i-level overview and examine a chart. Here is an example from ISTA/P P3.57.0:

Example: If your integration level is "E89X-13-07-501" you would need SP Daten 50.0 at a minimum to code your vehicle. You can always use a newer SP Daten if you wish, but it's not necessary.

4. I'm not sure which SP Daten I have. How I can determine which integration level it supports?

The supported integration level can be found in the KMM database. With Windows Notepad, open the file E89\kmmData\kmm_ETM.txt. This is an example from SP Daten 51.1:
Code:
#$This file has been signed. Do not edit.$#
# Erstellt und freigegeben durch VT-T-1 \ Produktmanagement Teile
# KMM Datei E89X zur Datenfreizeichnung E89X-13-07-505_45 Version  Stand 02.09.2013, 10:07:18 / HO
5. How do I determine the part number of an installed module?

You can display the part numbers of all installed modules (and lots of other useful information) with INPA...E90 -> Select E90 -> Functional Jobs -> <F2> Identification:

In some instances, if you search for the part number on RealOEM, it will provide the complete BMW part number.

Example: The part number for my MSD81 DME is 7616431. RealOEM shows that the full part number is 12-14-7-616-431.

6. I want to flash reprogram a module in comfort mode with the WinKFP tool. After pressing <F2> Choose ZUSB or <F3> Update ZUSB, I don't know which ECU family to select. I don't see my module listed...HELP!

Determine the part number of the module you want to flash with WinKFP and then open the file C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GDATEN\HWNR.DA2 with Windows Notepad and search (Ctrl-F) for the part number. The ECU family name will be in the last column under SG type.

Example: The part number for my EGS module is 7591971. When I search the HWNR.DA2 file, I see that the ECU family name is GKE215:
Code:
7591971,0000000,0000000,GKE215
Now when I highlight the GKE215 ECU family in WinKFP, I can see that I have the 2009 & 2010 Alpina B3 flashes available; ZB numbers 7603537 and 7615835:

7. How do I determine the ZB number of the software that my module is currently programmed with?

Display the UIF (User Information Field) data for all installed modules with INPA...E90 -> Select E90 -> Functional Jobs -> <F3> User information field:

The UIF data is only accurate IF UIF writes were enabled in WinKFP when the module was last flashed. If UIF writes were not enabled, then the UIF data is stale.

8. When flash reprogramming a module with WinKFP, do you recommend enabling UIF writes?

No, absolutely not. The UIF data is used by various BMW tools to validate the vehicles integration level. If you flash various modules on an ad-hoc basis with UIF writes enabled, the vehicles configuration will no longer align with any defined integration levels as validated by BMW. This could create a myriad of problems should you ever need to have the vehicles software updated by a BMW dealership.

9. I was told that if I disable UIF writes in WinKFP prior to performing the Alpina B3 transmission flash BMW won't know that I flashed the transmission. Is that true?

No, BMW can easily identify the fact that you flashed the transmission. Even if UIF writes were disabled. When you flashed the transmission with WinKFP, reference data was written to the TCU. Run Tool32 and open the SGDB file C:\EDIABAS\ECU\GS19D.PRG. Execute the job daten_referenz_lesen to display the reference data:

ZB numbers map to WinKFP .0PA files (data set files for program) and .0DA files (data set files for data.) The programming data and logistics files for the TCU are stored in the C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GKE215 folder. The .0DA file that correlates with your ZB number contains the reference data. Open the GKE215.DAT logistics file with Windows Notepad and search (Ctrl-F) for the ZB number that you used to flash the transmission.

Example: The transmission was flashed with ZB 7603537. Here is an excerpt from the GKE215.DAT file:
Code:
7603537,0000000,7591971,A,7603538DA,0FFFFFFFFFD,000,1 8
We see that the .0DA file used to flash the transmission was A7603538.0DA. Open the .0DA file in Windows Notepad to display the reference data.

Here are the first few lines from the A7603538.0DA file:
Code:
;============================================
;Austausch-Datei Daten
;============================================
;
;;ZL_System:        GS19.11.0
;;ZL_Projekt:       HZ
;;ZL_Referenz:      0479SA0T641Z1HZ57
;
Notice that the reference data matches what was displayed in Tool32. It is conclusive evidence that the transmission was flashed with ZB 7603537.

10. Why are the various data files collectively referred to as a SP Daten?

SP is an acronym for Servicepakets, which translates to Service Package in English. Daten is German for Data.

11. What programming language are INPA scripts written in?

PABS, an acronym for Prüfablaufbeschreibungssprache, which is German for test sequence description language. PABS is a proprietary, C-like language.

Use of the term script is a misnomer. PABS is not a scripting language, it is a programming language. The compiled source code (IPO file) is executed by the INPA runtime environment and is not interpreted.
Good evening,

I am French so forgive me for my mediocre English, this is a Google translation!

I read with great attention and interest your post because I was hoping to finally find an answer to my problem, maybe you can help me!

I have a BMW E39 530D touring 7/2002 with automatic gearbox, I was forced to replace the electronic part of my ABS / ASC because the former was HS, now I have to code with the VIN of my car ! It's been a month since I browse the forums, tutorials, videos, whether on French sites, English and German, alas I still have not been able to solve my problem, certainly I understand some things better, but I do not did not find the solution because when I use INPA and I choose E39, I do not have the menu "functionals jobs" as if it was an E90, so I can not read the data AIF / UIF

I have tried all the solutions that you quote in your post, but I do not have access to some because I have an E39.

My BMW VIN is WBADP81010GW41446.

I tried with INPA, NCS expert, WnKfp, NCS Dummy, Tools 32 ... nothing to do I can not find the number ZB, the part number that INPA gave me is 6756342 but impossible to find in SP DATEN that I have, I tried several versions of DATEN, nothing to do

I think the module is "ASC5_7.C09", that the IPO file is "A_ASC5.IPO" and that the program is "C_ASC5.PRG", I think 2 ECU are concerned "G832 or 10G832" and " MG526 or 10MD526 ", but even with all this information, I can not code the second hand module with my VIN number.

The help that I ask you is: How can I do to find the number ZB?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #171
Nafy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 328i sedan

Does anyone know if it is ok to run both ISTA-D and NCS expert at the same time? And how? Many Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #172
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

I followed and completed the installation steps to the letter. I was able to connect to the car with INPA, i selected shift+f8 for E89 then selected engine MSS60 for s65 (M3) for my car then a popup warned me in german that said something about versions did not pass. Then the next menu was ALL in german. It seemed to work but the selections seemed to be completely different than an another user bmw E90 demo youtube video. I initially wanted to access the PM -IBS menu (F5) under status (F5) that i saw in the youtube video but the german looked nothing like everything seemed different. But i was able to recognize 'fehler lesen' read codes so it's communicating with the car. I have SP Daten 50-2 from the tutorial.. Is this a failure of this tutorial that only the first menu was in english ?? I thought i went through the extra pain so the menus would be in english.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #173
BMW335is
Rep
Drives: 335is

Thanks OP. Very Genius. Following the steps now.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #174
vuqle123
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320D 2008 model

Thanks alot for the useful infos, i will try to fix the problem with my cas, as i'm unable to clear the ELV counter with tool32.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #175
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Your PM box is FULL!!
      12-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #176
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Get this outdated POS install off the forum.

BMW Standard Tools: https://mega.nz/#F!zw5V0IrD!08GgdgH0AtxZcWh62_76xA

Follow the instructions in the folder. It takes me 10 minutes to install this.
Appreciate 4