E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY- Rear Power Outlet DIY for US Cars

03-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #243
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

but I could use a new LEATHER interior since it was dealer installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #244
dugedug
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Arktic Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
but I could use a new LEATHER interior since it was dealer installed.
Can you pop the panel off and take pics for us? Also, what dealer did it? Valencia? How much did they charge?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #245
yobouty
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Rear Power Outlet

Hi,

Wanted to do this DIY. Did the part number you mentioned in your thread include all the plugs and cables necessary. My BMW store here in Cincinnati said that it was just a empty trim and that the plugs come separate. I also drive a 2007 335i sedan. Are all cars already prepped for this or is this only possible on other models?

Please help.

Thanks,

Will
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #246
yobouty
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
one part ordered or separates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Ok rear power outlets installed yesterday afternoon...

Thanks once again Calvino for the discovery and DIY. Everything went as per his DIY, no major obstacles.

Also thanks to FrankoQ who helped with the install...

Did you have to order the cover and plugs separately.

Thanks,

Will
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #247
Sinister Stairs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi Sedan

I just ordered/received these from Tischer, and it came with all the necessary hardware: the cover, wiring, plugs, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #248
enforcerman
The Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 328i MSport

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Just received my parts from Tischer.

Just FYI, the insert in the bottom and the rubber mat are two separate pieces and are NOT included in the Console part.

So these pictures are of 3 parts. Total for all 3 was $81.73 including shipping.

51167150157 - Beige Console Part
51167156474 - Beige Partition Insert (Rubber Mat)
51167154483 - Beige Partition

As everyone noted, the Console part comes w/ the plugs installed.

I took a picture of the radio shack part so people would have an idea what they needed to buy.

First thing you need to do is cut off the black connector that came with your NEW part.

Next, removing the console was not as easy as the OP's picture made it out to be. I ended up placing a flat head screwdriver between the console part and the main center console. I then twisted the screwdriver. It took VERY little pressure to break the top free. After this, the bottom was caught. I pushed the bottom part towards the center of the part with my hands. That popped the part free of the holders. After this, I removed the air conditioner plug (VERY firm pull required there) and took the old console out.

Next, I pulled the brown and red wires that are attached to the left side of the middle console to give myself some room to work with. Im not sure how others did their wiring, but I piggytailed the wires from one lighter to the other lighter and then took that single wire and piggytailed it to the car.

Finally, I turned the car on (the plug is powered only when the car is ON) and checked to make sure my angry robot worked. Indeed it did. I then installed the new console. After it was all back in place, I checked to make sure the plugs still worked and they did.

From start to finish it was 28 minutes.
Attached Images

Last edited by enforcerman; 10-03-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #249
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Thanks to the excellent posts on this forum and E90Post I was able to install the rear power outlets in my 2009 M3 E90. After completing the install, the two outlets worked, and the temperature control and air volume controls (this is an E90) also worked fine.

I did have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. In addition to the wire assembly going to the A/C unit in the rear that is mentioned in the various installs, there was also a two-wire cable assembly going to a black flat panel, about 1.5 inches by 6 inches, that was clipped on the back of the ashtray assembly. I could not figure out what those wires connect to; they don't appear to be for an LED or light for the ashtray. The panel feels like it has some metal in it (covered in plastic). Could be an antenna of some kind, or something new added to the '09 LCI models (I have the technology, convenience packages)? I marked up a photo by one of the original posters to show where this panel was located. None of the other installations for the rear power sockets mention this wire (the only one mentioned is the going to the A/C unit).

I'm assuming that the cables running to the A/C unit modulate the temp of the air coming from the vent? Are they also supposed to provide power to light up the red/blue symbols for the A/C vent? Since I have not sat in the back of the car very much, I wasn't sure whether the controls for the temp and air volume for the rear console are supposed to light up, as they do in the dash and it wasn't something I noticed before I did the installation. If someone has a chance to check their rear console to see if it lights up (photo with the areas that I'm asking about attached), please let me know.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by E90M3CDFR; 12-18-2008 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Add second photo
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #250
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

I'm curious as to if anyone has yet found the PN for the Official BMW jumper harness to install the part, and avoid cutting and splicing. (Mine is put together of Radio Shack parts and works fine.)
Attached Images

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #251
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I'm curious as to if anyone has yet found the PN for the Official BMW jumper harness to install the part, and avoid cutting and splicing. (Mine is put together of Radio Shack parts and works fine.)
I'd really like to know this, too.

I'd like to have the rear outlets, but can't bring myself to splice into the factory wiring, so I've been holding off.

Installing a BMW jumper harness, however, would be a different matter....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #252
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

This may sound weak, but I didn't want the power outlets! It was too cluttered with them (I'm OCD). So, I just got rid of the ashtray. To be honest, the ashtray always annoyed me - honestly, why do auto makers keep putting them in cars??? It's not exactly sending a good message. All I ever did was store quarters in it. Besides, I don't allow anyone to smoke in my car, unless it's a hot chick, and I'd let a hot chick get away with a lot more than smoking in my car, believe me.

Anyway, here are the pics. (Sorry for the crappy pics, they're off my iphone.) Thanks to Calvino, because I never would have thought to do this without his DIY. Calvino kicks ass.
Attached Images

Last edited by bmw-hoya; 01-28-2009 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: It may not look like it, but it's actually a good amount of space that the tray provides.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #253
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
This may sound weak, but I didn't want the power outlets! It was too cluttered with them (I'm OCD). So, I just got rid of the ashtray.
I've considered doing the same thing. I agree somewhat with the "clutter" issue, I really have no actual need for the power plugs, and I hate the idea of splicing into the factory wiring. This counters somewhat my OCD-like desire to have every possible cool option installed onto the car - particularly ones that are normally available in the US.

Like you I've considered replacing just the ashtray - mainly out of principle. At least the rear ashtry seems somewhat like a storage compartment, and it does look very clean when closed. But, I still can't get over the fact that it's for cigarette ashes, which would never be in my car.... In my E39 there was a useless cupholder set in that same spot - I replaced that with a similar tiny and semi-useless open storage compartment and never ended up using it for anything. Again, the main goal was simply to remove the cupholders from the car....

Thanks for the pics. Even though I've got a black interior this gives me some idea of how it looks. If I decided to replace just the ashtray.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #254
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Is there any way to do this retrofit without splicing any wiring in the car?

I'm going to replace my front dash ashtray/cigarette lighter with the sunglass holder. It occurred to me that after I unplug the current front cigarette lighter, that wire and plug would now be free to power rear console outlets. Is there a harness that can be used to run the power from the front cigarette lighter power cord (which will now be unused) to the rear console to power the dual rear power adapters?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #255
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino View Post
Here is a little retrofit that you can do to add the rear power outlets that don't come with the US cars
Thanks for very concise and clear description.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #256
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
Is there any way to do this retrofit without splicing any wiring in the car?

I'm going to replace my front dash ashtray/cigarette lighter with the sunglass holder. It occurred to me that after I unplug the current front cigarette lighter, that wire and plug would now be free to power rear console outlets. Is there a harness that can be used to run the power from the front cigarette lighter power cord (which will now be unused) to the rear console to power the dual rear power adapters?
Sure! I constructed a "jumper" harness for the rear outlets using Radio Shack connectors. The connectors required a little bit of whittling to fit, but they work fine. It would be even easier to construct an extension cable to plug into the front ashtray power connector.

I kept my front power outlet for the Garmin and used the ashtray space to mount the V-1 display. I don't smoke but on occasion I do speed.

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #257
Synikal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

I'm planning on doing this mod very soon and I'm also interested in method where you don't have to splice the wires; any news on this? The OP's DIY is great! but the pictures aren't so well organized with the writing and the colors.
      09-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #258
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
Would the Instructions here, be the same for a Euro (Brit) E90 too ?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #259
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Real real late to the party, but I did the same thing, no happy face for me, I wanted a slightly less useless compartment than a useless ashtray. I want all black color, is this correct part #'s?

I ordered:
Storage partition (Part# 51 16 7 154 481)
Foam Tray Insert (Part# 51 16 7 156 472)
black interior the part with sockets (I mean fot $60 they better come with them!) (Part #51167150155)

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc View Post
I installed my panel today. I did things a little different than the DIY, but it was very easy and took only 20 minutes to complete.

Since I traded the ashtray for the sunglass tray I connected my power outlets to the vacant ash tray power connections in the front of the center console. My connection did not require the quick connectors or tapping into the center console power adapter or cutting any wires. I used some Radio Shack connectors (see Pics) and 16 guage wire to connect to the plug that comes with the cover part (the one with the outlets), ran the wires to the front (under the console compartment and around the gear shift) and connected to the ashtray power plug. The Radio Shack connector shown did not work with the ashtray plug so I just put the female metal connectors on the ends of the wires, wrapped them in electrical tape, and plugged into the ashtray power without the plastic connector plug (3 pins Left Brown, Center Red, Right unused - sorry I didn't snap pictures of this).

The other thing I did different was order the Storage Partition part that is installed in place of the rear ashtray. As you can see from the pictures it does not result in the cute robot face but I feel like it is a little more useful since it provides a compartment to put cables or a phone. This option requires two parts:

Storage partition (Part# 51 16 7 154 481) List $20.25
Foam Tray Insert (Part# 51 16 7 156 472) List $8.32
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #260
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Actually ordered these:

COVERING REAR $59.45 Status: On Order

Console, Rear console, Storage compartment, Black, Black $13.09 Status:On Order FOAM INSERT $4.36 Status: On Order PARTITION, REAR, BOTTOM $13.31

Gotta wait for it...

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box

Last edited by HRC; 11-14-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #261
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

anybody found a factory wiring harness for this project? Or at least factory plugs for a clean install?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #262
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

harness

Anybody? Anybody found a factory plug or harness anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #263
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Nope...the 3M connectors are a clean install, maybe not as "clean as a plug in" but by no means it a mess of twisted semi-exposed wires with sticky electrical tape...

Danny
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #264
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

3m connectors

3M connectors? Not sure what you are referring to about them>
Appreciate 0