E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Dipstick Retrofit?

08-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Oil Dipstick Retrofit?

*** Please avoid posting here if you intend on praising the electronic oil level monitor system on the car. If you like it, enjoy your dipstick-less N54 and don't pollute this thread unless you have helpful technical insight. I would like to maintain this thread free from dipstick vs. electronic level monitor debates. Thank you. ***

Guys,
The lack of dipstick is one of the things that piss me off the most about this car. We've all seen the many debate threads and the pros/cons everyone lists.

I heard the 335d comes with a dipstick. Is this correct?

Am I right to assume that BMW likely used a similar block cast for the N57? Am I right to assume that our block *might* have a blank spot where the N57's dipstick is mounted?

I am sick and tired of the bullshit sensor that our N54s came with. I want to be able to look, smell and lick the oil in my car by popping the hood. I am also sick of getting low oil warnings when I leave the car warming up on an incline for more than 2 minutes.

Please share your knowledge and let's figure out a way to retrofit a dipstick on our cars.

Thanks,

-Walter
      08-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post
*** Please avoid posting here if you intend on praising the electronic oil level monitor system on the car. If you like it, enjoy your dipstick-less N54 and don't pollute this thread unless you have helpful technical insight. I would like to maintain this thread free from dipstick vs. electronic level monitor debates. Thank you. ***

Guys,
The lack of dipstick is one of the things that piss me off the most about this car. We've all seen the many debate threads and the pros/cons everyone lists.

I heard the 335d comes with a dipstick. Is this correct?

Am I right to assume that BMW likely used a similar block cast for the N57? Am I right to assume that our block *might* have a blank spot where the N57's dipstick is mounted?

I am sick and tired of the bullshit sensor that our N54s came with. I want to be able to look, smell and lick the oil in my car by popping the hood. I am also sick of getting low oil warnings when I leave the car warming up on an incline for more than 2 minutes.

Please share your knowledge and let's figure out a way to retrofit a dipstick on our cars.

Thanks,

-Walter
This is actually a very good idea. And yes licking oil is something i like also .

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

There are so many people who agree with you that I'm guessing there is no place to install a dip stick on the N54 or someone would have done it by now. That said, it's still worth investigating and confirming either way. I'm not about to have my block drilled to add a dip stick but I'd certainly add one if it wasn't too much of a hassle and not too expensive. One way to figure this out is to have a look at the diesel block, see where the dipstick is located, and then have a look at the N54 to see if there's a plug in the same location. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede
...I want to be able to look, smell and lick the oil in my car by popping the hood. ...
Although it is a bit of a hassle, you could always unscrew the oil filter and inspect (and lick ) the oil that way. I'll tell you, it gets black surprisingly quickly in the N54.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
One way to figure this out is to have a look at the diesel block, see where the dipstick is located, and then have a look at the N54 to see if there's a plug in the same location.
That was exactly my plan. I was thinking on swinging by the dealer and taking a look under the hood, but I figured I'd ask here first in case someone had already looked and documented.

I am concerned about drilling my block as well. I am not too concerned about metal shavings since I suspect one could drop the oil pan and place a shop-vac hose under the location where the bit is supposed to come through. What concerns me is the way the hole is drilled. It ought to be done in a way that the block doesn't crack/weaken.

This would be too good to be true, but can you imagine how awesome it would be if it turns out our N54s have a plug where the N57's dipstick is mounted and all that was needed to retrofit was the dipstick + guide from BMW? One can only dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimple View Post
Although it is a bit of a hassle, you could always unscrew the oil filter and inspect (and lick ) the oil that way.
I hear you, but I can't tell the oil level that way.

-Walter
      08-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

It looks like the oil dipstick terminates at the oil pan, and the N57 and N54 have entirely different oil pans.

N57:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...09&hg=11&fg=05

N54:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...30&hg=11&fg=05

Treppiede, I would just let this go. There are better things to have your mind on than retrofitting a dipstick. But, good luck if you do follow thru.

Last edited by pimple; 08-16-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Even if you could add a dipstick, it would make the PCV system less effective since you would be adding an atmospheric leak to the motor making the cyclonic oil seperator not work properly, clogging it making for an expensive repair. Plus adding it would make it an emissions leak (open to atmosphere due to design change) and would be illegal. In the next few years all dipstics will be gone on new motors to completley seal against all evaporative emissions types.
      08-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
It looks like the oil dipstick terminates at the oil pan, and the N57 and N54 have entirely different oil pans.
Treppiede, I would just let this go. There are better things to have your mind on than retrofitting a dipstick. But, good luck if you do follow thru.
Pimple, thanks for the information and useful diagrams. I know what you mean and I agree, there are better things to worry about. I feel - however - that the absence of dipstick is negatively affecting my experience as an enthusiast and I would enjoy this car so much more (and have more peace of mind) if I had access to real oil checking means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Even if you could add a dipstick, it would make the PCV system less effective since you would be adding an atmospheric leak to the motor making the cyclonic oil seperator not work properly, clogging it making for an expensive repair. Plus adding it would make it an emissions leak (open to atmosphere due to design change) and would be illegal. In the next few years all dipstics will be gone on new motors to completley seal against all evaporative emissions types.
Thanks David, very insightful. I am not concerned about the illegality, but I do worry about the atmospheric leak and affecting of the oil separator (which I am not familiar with). Does the N57 use a similar oil separation mechanism? I assume the N57's dipstick has a good seal, or could be improved.

One thing is for sure: having the dipstick on the oilpan sure makes things easier by taking block-drilling out of the picture.

-Walter
      03-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Looks to me like the pan might be the same but the electronic sensor now takes the place of the dipstick tube. What about replacing the sensor with the tube and fooling the sensor to keep the computer happy ?

Quote:

N57:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...09&hg=11&fg=05

N54:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...30&hg=11&fg=05

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Tj Hunter
S54 Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
Looks to me like the pan might be the same but the electronic sensor now takes the place of the dipstick tube. What about replacing the sensor with the tube and fooling the sensor to keep the computer happy ?
I have not taken a look at these engines personally, but looking on RealOEM, it does look like there is a sensor/plug in the dipstick location, and all you would have to do to trick the system is jump the wires to make a closed circuit, but you would not have a sensor for low oil level so you would HAVE to check your oil from the dipstick, which is not too big of a deal, but if you sold the car that is something that I would disclose to potential buyer.

OP et al - the engine for the 335d is M57 no N57.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

I would probably restore it back to use the sensor if/when I sold the car.

I'm going to investigate further and see if I can acquire a dipstick and tube.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

LOL Lick...

I can agree with the OP on all counts.

Dealer told me the other day they were going to "check the oil condition" to see if it needed oil changed.

I was thinking in my head, what the hell is he going to do, stick his midget head in the engine and peak around?

Classic SA BS. Like I'm dumb.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

you know i thought the same thing when an advisor told me that the CBS checks "oil condition" -- i yelled BS!!

then i looked up the docs on the 4Gen CBS and ate my words. at that point i had to check myself cause he had just be to training class.

several routines have been added to the diagnostic test plans on the some of the later ISTA/P/D which include oil condition and fuel octane ..

cant read it off of key data -- but ISTA can .. helps to monitor folks that may not want to take advantage of the maint program while under a lease, or busy high mileage drivers

ill see if i can find the bulletin on CBS data, and ill post the SIB
SIB 00 07 02
dated Feb 2009

Last edited by shifterboy45; 03-03-2011 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I'm interested in this too. I use a oil extractor to do my oil changes and I usually suction the oil out through dipstick. Out of all the cars in the house this is the only car that I cannot do that with. We have a Mercedes that doesn't have a dipstick either but it's got a "service port" which is basically a dipstick tube with a plug on top simply used for oil extraction at the dealer.

BTW, let's not turn this into a debate about how well oil extractors work or don't work. In my experience, I can jack a car up, extract all the oil out, and pull the drain plug and get drops out of it. So to me, it's negligible. I understand if people don't like this approach, but the convenience of having this is enough for me to add a dipstick to the N54 if it isn't insanely difficult.
      02-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
megaguirius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i convertible

OP: I fully agree. As for those who didn't bother reading your request to not sing the praises of the dipstickless design... and especially the idea that a dipstick adds atmospheric leaks... piffle!

A good dipstick has a narrow tube and a snug-fitting stick handle with a rubber o-ring to seal off 100%. Personally, I think betting an entire engine and possible oil starvation on something electronic that can and DOES fail, is unacceptable.

Can someone figure this out so we can tap and instal a dipstick please? Bonus points because you don't have to modify the block, just the pan.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You know what? I have some spare time this afternoon, I'll throw the car up on a lift and see where we can put a dipstick in the pan. This will only require removal/modification of the pan, and only be mildly more work than changing the pan gasket. I did it on a steel oil pan on the N52 Grand Am car we had, and we ended up needing to run a Kinetic Motorsports baffled oil pan with 9-11 liters of oil in it. That car had so much grip we ended up filling it with oil until it smoked lightly on hard left had turns. The Motec dash kept recording oil pressure drops with no less than 9 liters of oil in it, and a 2.5hr race meant at least one quart of oil consumption even with a perfectly working oil separator system.
      02-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
megaguirius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i convertible

James you da man!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Good luck.... Kinda funny thread ...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

OK, you can see the angled side of the pan from the left side near the steering shaft (for us LHD cars). This means that we have a couple of options:

1) A cheap universal dipstick commonly available at places like Summit Racing and Jegs. Requires drilling and tapping the oil pan for a 1/4" NPT or similar in the right spot, draining and refilling the sump with 7 liters of oil, and marking your dipstick. I don't know how interested others would be in knowing what is 1 liter low / 1 liter high / etc.

2) Using an E36 or E46 dipstick, machining a receiver to accept the o-ring seal on the dipstick tube, drilling the oil pan - hopefully in the right spot, welding the receiver onto the pan, and mounting the dipstick, hoping that you got the depth and position correct that 7 liters comes up to the high mark. This has the added difficulties of cutting and repositioning the dipstick tube receiver if you get it wrong the first time. Of course this must also be done outside the car. Unless someone has an N54 on a stand set at the correct angle, this will be a time consuming affair.

So it's possible, but I don't have that kind of free time on my hands. If you REALLY want a dipstick, the easiest solution is to drill and tap for a universal dipstick. You of course end up with shavings in the pan that *may* be flushed out the drain, but I wouldn't bet on it. The best way is to pull the pan and drill/tap outside the car, install universal dipstick, reinstall pan, then calibrate from there.
      05-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #21
N1k
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i, 2005 Chev Tahoe

Did anyone end up following James' suggestion with a universal dipstick, I think I will probably go this route if and when I finally pull the engine... Please feel free to DM me if you want to share details to long for a post.
Appreciate 0