E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > HELP: previous owner owes finance!!!

06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

What have the police said?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
What have the police said?
This - Call da popo
      06-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
This - Call da popo
You would think after one month £9k missing cash and a Merc somebody would have.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MSPORT

[QUOTE=Kerr;12105611]Just to clarify then,

You sister bought a car off someone she did not know. She did not even meet the person selling the car, it was a person on her behalf.

She trusted this person who was selling the car on behalf of someone else enough to hand over £9k cash without doing any simple checks.

Suddenly after a month you find out the car has finance on it.

In that month she went bankrupt and the boyfriend done a runner with the cash and did not bother to report it.

The woman has obviously not reported it stolen as the police would come around to your door. It is stolen though as the guy had no consent to take the money for the item.

It's part of a crime no matter how you view it.

That is a pretty far fetched set of circumstances.

As I also said you error was pretty glaring too.[/QUOTE

Ok Mr Holmes.

Yes she bought the car off the guy not the woman. I have also sold cars on behalf of my partner and also my father without them present. I have also bought a car like this too. Nothing out of the norm really.

Yes like an idiot she didn't do an hpi, hence why I was quick to do one as soon as she told me she didn't even know what one was.

Yes she has gone bankrupt. I'm not saying it don't sound dodgy but don't wanna lose both the money and car. Just wanna know where we stand.

Scams aren't as easy as abc. These circumstances are created for loopholes to wiggle your way out of things. She obviously didn't want to declare the money so could've made it up. Either way It don't help us.

The idea of stripping it sound good right now
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #27
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASPA View Post
I appreciate your help but pointing fingers at me is a bit out of order. I originally wrote he sold the car and took off without her knowing. My mistake as she wanted to sell but obviously expected the money too.

When you hpi a car the finance details all show up. The cars in my sisters name so is not just an anybody. Like I also said the women is more then cooperative.
That's not what you typed at all.

You said he sold the car without her knowing. That was pretty clear in your post. The doing a runner with the cash came afterwards.

I'm sure as soon as she got home from work it would have been clear he had done a runner.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
This - Call da popo
The police have said to get legal advice as it is a matter between Lombard, the owner and my sister.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

What did the finance company and the police say to you?

Surely at these times these are the two main people to speak with?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
That's not what you typed at all.

You said he sold the car without her knowing. That was pretty clear in your post. The doing a runner with the cash came afterwards.

I'm sure as soon as she got home from work it would have been clear he had done a runner.

YES and it was a mistake. If instead of helping you wanna make matters worse then there's no point contributing. I asked for help not interrogations.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Haven't told finance company yet as It could make matters worse quicker as they will probably send the repos down
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Strip the car to pieces, sell them on eBay, pretend it never happened - tell the finance company to chase the owner, cut your losses.

Honestly dude, there is sometimes just no advice for stuff -crime happens, there are victims and it sounds like your sister is one.

Matt

I was going to suggest similar,but I have my halo to consider

There was a very similar thread running on PH fairly recently,suggestions ranged from:

selling it on (doing to others,whats been done to you)
Hiding the car in a garage somewhere
Taking the car across the channel,selling it on
Stripping down (as Matt suggested)

It's a tough one Kaspa,you could always consider handing yourself into the Police,and taking your sis with you,Kerr already has you down as being guilty!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
YES and it was a mistake. If instead of helping you wanna make matters worse then there's no point contributing. I asked for help not interrogations.
Not a problem.

I'm only pointing out as I see it and asking obvious question.

If it does turn up in court I'm sure they will look at the circumstances and might be concerned if witnesses make glaring errors.

I hope the solution gets found.

The position has already been answered as far as I can see.

The finance company still own the car and will obviously want their cash or car back.

Likewise I can't understand how the police don't view this as a crime?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

It's a tough one Kaspa,you could always consider handing yourself into the Police,and taking your sis with you,Kerr already has you down as being guilty!
I've not.

I asked some obvious questions.

If you read his first post which he later retracted some of my posts would have made more sense to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #35
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

I was going to suggest similar,but I have my halo to consider

There was a very similar thread running on PH fairly recently,suggestions ranged from:

selling it on (doing to others,whats been done to you)
Hiding the car in a garage somewhere
Taking the car across the channel,selling it on
Stripping down (as Matt suggested)

Ye I've been reading the PH thread and it does help in more ways then one. I'm just hoping that seeing as the woman is bankrupt the debt has been written off and she can keep the car. Optimistic I know.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Break it and you will end up in jail. Do not do this. It's unfortunate your in this situation but currently your a victim, you don't want to be classed as a criminal. Just because something illegal has been done to you does not make it ok to go and behave illegally,

Do not panic. You have been ripped off. Hopefully some good may come out of this awful situation.

I have read the thread but still unaware to how you know finance is owed?! Just your HPI or has the finance company written to you?
      06-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Break it and you will end up in jail. Do not do this. It's unfortunate your in this situation but currently your a victim, you don't want to be classed as a criminal. Just because something illegal has been done to you does not make it ok to go and behave illegally,

Do not panic. You have been ripped off. Hopefully some good may come out of this awful situation.

I have read the thread but still unaware to how you know finance is owed?! Just your HPI or has the finance company written to you?
Ye did a hpi from AA and the finance details came up. Had the woman's number from the car advert so got the rest of the details from her.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #38
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
So ATM no one is actually chasing you up?

Speak to the finance company.
      06-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
So ATM no one is actually chasing you up?

Speak to the finance company.
Nope, no chasing as of yet. This is why I'm kind of staying away from ringing them yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #40
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

hmmm, time to write ur car off in a safe but definate accident. im thinking the car can be reclaimed by the finance company but the payout to you cant be touched by them. your not liable for this other womans debt but they can take the car back. As you never knowingly entered into a contract with lombard so you dont have to abid by its t&c's, the main one being fixing any damage to the car. Ur insurance will see u as the owner of the car as u will have v5 and hopeful a receipt of purchase for the 9k.

This sounds too simple to me, sure someone will point out why it wont work. Only pitfalls are lossing ncb and insurance goin up i can see. cheaper than 9k though....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #41
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
hmmm, time to write ur car off in a safe but definate accident. im thinking the car can be reclaimed by the finance company but the payout to you cant be touched by them. your not liable for this other womans debt but they can take the car back. As you never knowingly entered into a contract with lombard so you dont have to abid by its t&c's, the main one being fixing any damage to the car. Ur insurance will see u as the owner of the car as u will have v5 and hopeful a receipt of purchase for the 9k.

This sounds too simple to me, sure someone will point out why it wont work. Only pitfalls are lossing ncb and insurance goin up i can see. cheaper than 9k though....
Staging an accident and claiming insurance is still a criminal offence too.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #42
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I think he meant just writing it off without involving another car.

Sounds like an interesting plan. I've never had a car on finance so don't know much about the claim process. Doesnt the insurance pay off the finance company instead of the vehicle owner?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #43
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I think he meant just writing it off without involving another car.

Sounds like an interesting plan. I've never had a car on finance so don't know much about the claim process. Doesnt the insurance pay off the finance company instead of the vehicle owner?
I'm 100% sure that is still illegal too.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #44
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:

I did not want to comment on this thread as there was no definite answer.
But I second what Carl wrote up.
Bad luck Kaspa!