E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 320 Sports- Modding

01-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
MyMedia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320 Sports

320 Sports- Modding

Hi guys,

We saw a beautiful white 320i + sports package this weekend, and thinking about purchasing it when my accountant give it an ok.

So the sales guy told me it had a sports suspension, 17"s. I want to know if this is what I should do.
  • Upgrade to 18"s
  • Is it possible to get paddle shift? is it worth it? since it is only a 2.0 NA
  • Active steering
  • Lane change signal mod

And after I got it, I want to know how much more grunt I can add to the car, how much extra KWs will a intake + exhaust provide? Which brand / package do you recommend? Does it void the warrrenty?

Should I get a chip? Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I'd definately go for the 18"s upgrade, active steering is a waste of time, yeah it helps but i feel it makes the driver feedback a little numb at times.
Not sure what lane change signal mod your referring to, but i'd definately replace the tail lights with the OEM blacklines available from your local dealer.
You can get the paddle shifts added on later if you so wish, however i think you have to replace the steering wheel, i think CaptOz or someone else on here change it.
With the 320i if your after a little more performance i'd say get MT instead of AT.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
I'd definately go for the 18"s upgrade...
I would have said atleast 19's...
      01-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

oem blacklines from the dealer? i didnt know bmw aust do that....might check that out next time i go in
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
paddleshifts do not come on any models apart from the 335. there might be an aftermarket mod for it (if you do come across it do let us know) but the dealer won't put it in for you

there aren't any chips for the 320i as well... at least not as far as we've seen so far. also only for the 335i

and finally for the wheels, for an extra $2000 for the 18" are a good idea... however for just slightly more you can get a set of 19s from the US including tires. and there are heaps more choices to choose from.

if you do get the OEM 18s i think you'd find that you'd want to change those run flat tires for non run flats pretty much as soon as you drive out of the dealership. that's my experience anyway.

good luck... i have the exact same car that you're looking at so please feel free to check out my garage for pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyways View Post
oem blacklines from the dealer? i didnt know bmw aust do that....might check that out next time i go in
Yeah they do stock them as oem, my best mate got them, i think they're about $480 or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
MyMedia
Registered
Rep

Sorry guys, what is a OEM blackline? Do you have a picture?

The only reason we are getting an auto is coz my wife wants to drive it, i got mt anyday.

I am thinking about changing the brushed aluminium to a wood panel, I don't know how it would look in a blackish interior, i would prefer white leather + wood interior anyday, but they gave me this option.

So no performance mods? I want a set of exhausts, purely from an audio perspective, doubt it will have much difference. Maybe a turbo? I guess that will void the warrenty.

So, 320, M sports package, ex BMW Aust owned, about 8000 KMs, comfort entry, sun roof, for about $60k, is it a good bargain?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
MyMedia
Registered
Rep

Ok, wood or brushed?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMedia View Post
Sorry guys, what is a OEM blackline? Do you have a picture?

The only reason we are getting an auto is coz my wife wants to drive it, i got mt anyday.

I am thinking about changing the brushed aluminium to a wood panel, I don't know how it would look in a blackish interior, i would prefer white leather + wood interior anyday, but they gave me this option.

So no performance mods? I want a set of exhausts, purely from an audio perspective, doubt it will have much difference. Maybe a turbo? I guess that will void the warrenty.

So, 320, M sports package, ex BMW Aust owned, about 8000 KMs, comfort entry, sun roof, for about $60k, is it a good bargain?
The blacklines are the good looking rear tail lights you can get from you dealer, from the genuine parts range. Check out the tail lights on the the white e90 in the link http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=blacklines

Personally i prefer brushed aluminium, but it's a personal choice thing.

If it's $60k drive away then that's a pretty decent deal, if they'll upgrade the wheels to 18"s for you at no extra charge. Then again, you could always try and wrangle another grand or two out of them, if you can try and get EPP (Executive Preference Plan) pricing on it as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
MyMedia
Registered
Rep

Oh, so the blacklines = darkened tail lights?

Yeah I think the brushed aluminium works better.

EPP = discounted concert tickets and stuff? I just did a quick google. Is there any other noticable goodies?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, so the blacklines = darkened tail lights?

Yeah I think the brushed aluminium works better.

EPP = discounted concert tickets and stuff? I just did a quick google. Is there any other noticable goodies?
I wouldn't call them darkened, just not those ugly orange colour indicators.
With EPP you get circa 2% off the price of the car and 2 years free servicing.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
KillDork
First Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberzombie View Post
paddleshifts do not come on any models apart from the 335. there might be an aftermarket mod for it (if you do come across it do let us know) but the dealer won't put it in for you

there aren't any chips for the 320i as well... at least not as far as we've seen so far. also only for the 335i

and finally for the wheels, for an extra $2000 for the 18" are a good idea... however for just slightly more you can get a set of 19s from the US including tires. and there are heaps more choices to choose from.

if you do get the OEM 18s i think you'd find that you'd want to change those run flat tires for non run flats pretty much as soon as you drive out of the dealership. that's my experience anyway.

good luck... i have the exact same car that you're looking at so please feel free to check out my garage for pics!
All six-cylinder 3-series can be delivered with paddle shifts, at least here in the Nordics. If it can be retrofitted, that I don't know...
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Hi .... and welcome to the forum

Harding Performance in Brisbane can do an ECU reflash for the 320i that will give you an extra 16kw and 20nm torque for A$1895. www.hp.net.au

Filter and exhaust "might" give you a couple more.

Blacklines on AW looks hot. Tell them you are in a BMW car club and you automaticly get 10% discount.

Wheels is a very subjective area. I purchased my M-sport with the 17" but within a few months I knew I sould have got the 18" for the extra $1000 as I was offered. Anyway that's history as Ive gone 19" now with wheels from Velosity Mororing in the USA. (see my garage on the forum).

The ride in the car with 19" standard tyres is heaps better than 17" run flats.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, wood or brushed?

Neither, go for that very dark grey wood, or some kind of piano black/gloss black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
With EPP you get circa 2% off the price of the car and 2 years free servicing.
Sounds a little like what Lexus does, minus the free parking and opera tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillDork View Post
All six-cylinder 3-series can be delivered with paddle shifts, at least here in the Nordics. If it can be retrofitted, that I don't know...
It can, CaptOz did it
      01-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

I don't like any of the brown wood colours on a black interior. Like ASTRA said, the dark grey woods look good but my preference is aluminium trim. It's all personal preference in the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #16
AnthonyB
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 20d, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberzombie View Post
They're not standard no, but THEY ARE available as an option - I know because I have them factory fit on my 325i Sport. It's not in the brochure, but the Sales Manager had an update with it in - $400. Well worth it too in my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
They're not standard no, but THEY ARE available as an option - I know because I have them factory fit on my 325i Sport. It's not in the brochure, but the Sales Manager had an update with it in - $400. Well worth it too in my opinion...

oops

yes i stand corrected. HOWEVER, according to the brochure it is NOT an option for the 4-cyclinder model (ie the 320i) which is what this guy is after.

unless someone HAS done it on a 4-cylinder? would there be any difference between the 4 and 6 cyc?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #18
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I wouldnt bother with paddle shifters, seems like a waste of dough. Id get manual transmission but as you are looking at a BMW Australia car, you havent exactly got much choice when it comes to cars on the yard. I would opt for at least the 18's like what I have. You can always go up to 19's but mind you the ride on 18's is hard enough, let alone 19's on runflats. But you could put standard tyres on, but organize that either at the dealer or soon after when your tyres are still new.
Definitely get an aftermarket exhaust. You could go quads like i did, or at least put a dual tip exhaust system in. It will sound so much nicer.

P/s go the bursh aluminium look, it suits a MSports much nicer than an old man's woodgrain.
      01-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #19
e93
open air motoring at its best
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Ex BMW Australia car hey. Wonder if it was one of those cars that I was thrashing around the facination course at Eastern Creek?
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
^^ Probably... I wouldn't be too worried about it though, it's not like they are left out to rust and run dry on oil
      01-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post
Ex BMW Australia car hey. Wonder if it was one of those cars that I was thrashing around the facination course at Eastern Creek?
I was thinking that too however I don't recall a white 320i sport being used on the facination event. Anyway .... have you seen how many BMW executive cars there are parked at their Springvale road HQ ???. I would think they would turn those around every 6 months hence no shortage of BMW Exec driven cars on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I drove 2 different white sports at the BMW facination event! they churn over cars so often, i wouldnt stress. They are good bargains those fleet cars