E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Flashers---Quick question

06-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Dinan Flashers---Quick question

Hey guys,

Just wondering, if my HPFP is going to be replaced, will the dealer have to flash back to stock in order to replace it, and then reflash?

If so, then tomo when my HPFP is changed, I can get the updated DME before reflash and I shouldn't have to pay for it ($375!)

Please let me know as soon as you can peeps...

Thanks!
      06-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

seriously, no reply? I know it might be a noob question, but seriously?
      06-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
damn these cats are cold blooded. not even a smart ass remark or anything. ill venture a guess and say if they replace it theyll update you with the newest bmw software and dinan will give you the reflash for free. let me know who picks up the tab for the new hpfp
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

+1 on above.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

hey thanks for the response! Ya, lol, not even a sarcastic remark!

With regards to the HPFP, Dinan is replacing it under warranty......if you must know the details.....

Last week, I went in for an oil change, and I also wanted to have the car flashed to stock, updated with latest DME, and reflashed with DSII.....

While I was there, in light of the "Dinan SII...major power losses, etc" thread, I asked them to check the HPFP again, cause a few months previously I noticed some slightly longer cranks and had it checked out. At that time, they said there was a "low pressure fault", but the hpfp tested fine, and they "reset the adaptation", whatever that means.....

I still had some slightly long cranks (really only 2.5 secs), but I felt a bit of lag on my butt dyno, and felt like my performance wasn't like it was the first couple of weeks after having the flash, and my dyno post-flash was kind of weird.....respectible gains of 50hp/60tq, but there was this dip between 2-3k rpm in the tq curve down to stock values, and then back up....and I can feel this dip when I drive....and it was definitely more noticeable as time has worn on.....so I told them, my cranks are still slightly long, and asked them to run the pressure test on the hpfp....

They tried to do the flash first, but if failed....it required some "product code", and they tried entering 2 diff codes, but it still didn't work.....eventually they decided they're going to have to take out the actual DME to read the code, and by that time, I had waited like 7 hours, and all they had done was the oil change, and I had an appt to have my new rims (VS8s) mounted on my new tires.....I don't even think they tested the hpfp.....the tech test drove the car, I saw him, but I think that's all they did....

When I read the invoice, it said "client complains of excessively long cranks", and that "tested car, excessively long cranks noted, change hpfp as per SIB- blah blah".....I know my car wasn't giving EXCESSIVELY long cranks.....so I think that they felt bad that I had waited so long and I got nothing but an oil change, plus my complaints of long cranks, plus the fault thrown at the last visit, + it's such a known problem, that they decided just to fix it under warranty! I'm gonna try to go out back tomo and talk to the Service Tech working on my car tomo to see exactly what prompted them to do this, cause I really wasn't expecting it....

That's why my question.....I was supposed to get the reflash, updated dme, etc this appt, but I just thought to myself, if they replace the hpfp, will they have to flash to stock anyways? If so, then I shouldn't have to pay for the update and flash back to DSII.....

But I know they're gonna try to charge me for it, if they can, so I wanna be SURE that they will have to flash back to stock for HPFP replacement, that way I can stick it to them......

Anyways, that's my story, will update you further tomo....

Thanks for responding!
      06-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Nice thanks for the write up. I'm going in Friday to have my steering looked at and I want them to check the hpfp. Sometimes when I'm cruising at 40 or 70 it feels a little jerky. So was it seamless when it came to dinan paying for the pump? No hassle or anything? I know orb said be had to pay for his out of pocket. I'm wondering if that's because it was before the official extented hpfp warranty came out
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
Hey guys,

Just wondering, if my HPFP is going to be replaced, will the dealer have to flash back to stock in order to replace it, and then reflash?

If so, then tomo when my HPFP is changed, I can get the updated DME before reflash and I shouldn't have to pay for it ($375!)

Please let me know as soon as you can peeps...

Thanks!

If Dinan is paying for the repair, you should not require a BMW software update.
      06-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

If the bmw dealer is replacing the HPFP, the SIB states they should update the software.
9/10 the dealer will update the software = more money for them.

more then likely let them do their work, update the dme. drive it for a couple of weeks to ensure everything is ok... then go back to dinan and get the flash done @ no charge.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

they just told me that they don't need to update the dme to change the hpfp....do you have the SIB???

I'm gonna end up paying!!!
      06-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

if your paying for the HPFP replacement... they DONT NEED TO UPDATE THE DME. you are the customer , you tell them what you want.

putting a new HPFP in the car doesnt need the software reprogrammed to work with the new pump.

i'll find the SIB.. i know its floating around here...

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Fuck that. Charging you, tell them to keep the old software then. Guess potty is right you don't need a software upgrade, I would of thought they just would of updated it for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not getting the software update for the HPFP, I thought I would get it cause my ISTP version was 31.x, and others running DSII on here posted that if you get 33.x the car would run MUCH better, with less lag, akin to the "classic DSII" flash....that was my plan at my last visit, and while I was here at the dealer, I decided to have them check the HPFP again, which showed another "fault" asking the ST to reset the adaptation values, but given it's a known problem, they decided to change the HPFP (under warranty). I just realized in the last few days that with the HPFP change, perhaps they would have to flash back to stock anyways, so maybe I could get the updated software and reflash for free...

But they're telling me at the dealer that to change the HPFP, they don't have to flash back to stock, it's a straight switch! So to get the flash to stock, and then update the DME and reflash ("for no required reason", so to speak), they charge their standard $375!

If you guys know the SIB for HPFP change, and it requires them to update the DME, then I shouldn't have to pay for it, right?

They're already reprogramming the car as we speak!

Sheisse!
      06-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

I'm in the same situation, I have the Dinan stg 2 flash(supposedly), they won't ever confirm it when I ask them to make sure. I had long cranks then one day on an onramp going WOT the car felt like it hit fuel cut and I got the SES light and engine malfunction reduced power notification. Stopped on the freeway, restarted the car and the light went away. Later that week I took the car in because it was misfiring on idle, very small hiccups that would shake the car. I told them my HPFP was going and I should have my software updated since I have v28.0.2 or something with the dinan flash. They replaced the fuel pump and the long cranks went away. They said they couldnt update the software unless something else was wrong with the car prompting them to. Well after getting new tires and really getting to drive the car again I noticed the hiccuping/misfiring still occurring after being warmed up intermittently, and very often. I'm guessing this has to do with the other TISs open about the injectors,coils, or spark plugs. If they just updated me to 33.x, reflashed Dinan, and check the coils plugs and injectors as per the TIS I'm sure my car would be back to full power but they don't seem to understand. The car is going in again next week so we'll see what happens, but as far as I know, they won't update your software if your fuel pump fails.

also: i just checked the fuel pump TIS and it does not include software update, but all the other TIS about injectors,coils, and plugs DO indicate a software update, and these are all problems related to the HPFP
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
keep us updated on whats going on. sooner or later i feel like ill be on the same boat with you guys. altho i so have the new flash 32.2
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 View Post
I'm in the same situation, I have the Dinan stg 2 flash(supposedly), they won't ever confirm it when I ask them to make sure. I had long cranks then one day on an onramp going WOT the car felt like it hit fuel cut and I got the SES light and engine malfunction reduced power notification. Stopped on the freeway, restarted the car and the light went away. Later that week I took the car in because it was misfiring on idle, very small hiccups that would shake the car. I told them my HPFP was going and I should have my software updated since I have v28.0.2 or something with the dinan flash. They replaced the fuel pump and the long cranks went away. They said they couldnt update the software unless something else was wrong with the car prompting them to. Well after getting new tires and really getting to drive the car again I noticed the hiccuping/misfiring still occurring after being warmed up intermittently, and very often. I'm guessing this has to do with the other TISs open about the injectors,coils, or spark plugs. If they just updated me to 33.x, reflashed Dinan, and check the coils plugs and injectors as per the TIS I'm sure my car would be back to full power but they don't seem to understand. The car is going in again next week so we'll see what happens, but as far as I know, they won't update your software if your fuel pump fails.

also: i just checked the fuel pump TIS and it does not include software update, but all the other TIS about injectors,coils, and plugs DO indicate a software update, and these are all problems related to the HPFP
Thanks for the info man, appreciate it....., looks like I'll be shelling out the cash....well, I paid 2700CAD for the tune, I guess my 15% discount will go towards this.....well, in the end, if my car leaves here feeling faster than when I walked in, I'll be happy.....

I'll post my thoughts about the car's performance post HPFP + Updated DME + Reflash tonight after I rip the car around a bit.....

Thanks!
      06-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

I am also getting horrible gas mileage (19mpg city avg ALWAYS ripping thru 1st and 2nd off stoplights vs 12-13mpg avg city and highway mixed driving more conservatively after the HPFP replacement). So if you have anything else wrong with the car like gas mileage, idrive lagging issues, power loss, misfiring, then you have reason for them to update the software, so you shouldn't have to pay. Hopefully the other issues I still have will prompt them to update.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

Whoa wait. I went into my dealer to ask for an update to my Dinan Stg.2 (I had 29.2 or something) and they updated for free to 32.X (I think) and newest Dinan flash. I thought they did this for free?

Edit: If you ask for the newest Dinan flash, wouldn't it already include the newest BMW flash?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

So, I just had my HPFP replaced, and the DME updated and reflash.....end result on butt dyno:

No change.......in fact, it feels a bit slower.....but I'm not sure if it's because psychologically I was hoping/expecting to have the crap squeezed out of me or if it's the real deal.....I'm gonna dyno again to compare with my previous one post flash.....however, variables have changed....I have new (lighter) wheels--Morr VS8s, and the temp outside is now 20C, much warmer than my original dynos......so we'll see....I'll keep u posted!
      06-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

The more I read threads like this, the more I wonder if I should have kept my Lexus. This doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I really don't like this now.
      06-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
The more I read threads like this, the more I wonder if I should have kept my Lexus. This doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I really don't like this now.
life is too short... some of us knew what we were getting into buying bmw... and expect it. If you wanted a troublefree boring ride then you should have kept the is350. for me if the car breaks from 2007 - 2015 its covered under warranty. If those breaks are enough to cause concern or a 2nd morgage ...the car will be sold in 2015.

ppp
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
So, I just had my HPFP replaced, and the DME updated and reflash.....end result on butt dyno:

No change.......in fact, it feels a bit slower.....but I'm not sure if it's because psychologically I was hoping/expecting to have the crap squeezed out of me or if it's the real deal.....I'm gonna dyno again to compare with my previous one post flash.....however, variables have changed....I have new (lighter) wheels--Morr VS8s, and the temp outside is now 20C, much warmer than my original dynos......so we'll see....I'll keep u posted!
I found that having a boost gauge helps with stuff like this. At least you'll know if the car is making boost. Also try some high octane (race) gas and do some WOT runs as the tune loves the stuff and it may help it adapt.
      06-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #22
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
I found that having a boost gauge helps with stuff like this. At least you'll know if the car is making boost. Also try some high octane (race) gas and do some WOT runs as the tune loves the stuff and it may help it adapt.
+1. I do wanna try some race gas to see how it performs......hmmmm boost gauge.....I've thought about it, but I don't like the idea of hardwiring some electrical stuff into the car.....just for "warranty" reasons....another buddy of mine told me about something called a "G-tech" or something? It's basically a GPS device that can track your speeds and quarter mile times in real time.....would be an indirect way of seeing how the car performs, etc....

After driving around a little bit, the car seems to have adapted, and feels more like it's tuned again....however, I haven't really noticed any stark gains in power if any......I have noticed that my starts are IMMEDIATE again.....no delay, not even 2 sec cranks like previously.......

I'm dyno'ing again next week, so I'll let you know what happens....