E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help me decide...

06-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Help me decide...

Heres my dilema,

I am setting aside about $1400 for my car over the next few weeks.

Should I buy the BMW performance exhaust?

Wheels and new tires?

Kw V1 suspension?

Exhaust- my car will sound great.
Wheels- it will look a decent amount better.
Suspension- handle much better.

What would you do and why?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
jaguar36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Depends, what sort of roads do you drive on mostly? Are they in good shape or pretty beat up? I wouldn't go with a stiffer suspension with the condition of the roads out here. How much tire tread do you have left? I'm not a big fan of the stock wheels for the 335xi, but it seems a bit of a waste to get rid of perfectly good tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

suspension will drastically improve both performance and looks.

furthermore... your car's suspension will be setup to handle additional power mods if you go that direction.

go with the coilovers.
      06-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I would sign up for three weekend driving events. It will be the most fun you ever had and it will be the best performance enhancement you can make. It may also give you the track bug which will require putting aside that much monthly for events, tires and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

SUSPENSION! /End thread.

Car is a totally different animal. Love it. You'll seriously wonder why you've gone so long on the sloppy stock 4x4 suspension.

Exhaust is hit and miss. Dang, you'll want to hang yourself if you get the dreaded cabin drone with the wrong exhaust.
      06-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

id get rims, tires+lowering springs. When shocks are dead, throw on some coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. KW is known for their reinforced and durable suspension components. KW's coilovers have been carefully crafted and designed by studying the flaws of competitors and improving on them. In addition KW coilovers can go lower than just about any other brand and allow you to set your car to a "slammed look", "sporty look", or anywhere in between. In the unfortunate event that anything should happen to your coilovers, KW's warranty backs all their products from manufacturer's defect.

A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I'll sent you a pm with more details
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
BlackHot
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi Wagon

Suspension, definitely. There's nothing like being able to feel the car under you and know that it's going to take whatever you throw at it while feeling like it's on rails. Plus like other said it's a good base to start with.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Well, I have all three of those mods on my xi, and here's what I think you should do:

Exhaust.

Why? Because out of the those three mods, my BMW performance exhaust is what I like the best. There is NO drone (I DO have 6AT), and the exhaust sound much more exotic than it should (this is a good thing). I get more compliments on the sound of my exhaust than anything else on my car, and it has a full body kit, rims and tires, and a slew of other performance and cosmetic mods.

Make no mistake, I will definitely advise suspension as the runner up, but you need to be willing to give up a lot of that ride comfort that comes with an xi. I had the same setup, and I am still not yet satisfied with the ride on my kw v3's. I find the car to be pretty harsh over ruts in the highway, and potholes are very bad. Also, they were AWFUL on stock rft's. Never again will I run RFT's on an aftermarket suspension.

If you do suspension, great! You will love the handling and stability, just as I do, but I simply cannot advise doing coilovers without a set of non rft tires.

GL man! Let us know what you decide on!

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Dinan Stage 2 suspension with stock run-flats FTW
      07-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP/E92/M3

Get the exhaust

I also have all three of these mods, and I can tell you that the BMW Perf Exhaust is an absolute must! No drone what-so-ever and sounds fantastic! Get it from Tischer (free shipping, cheap price).

I then went for the Forgeline ZX3 wheels wrapped in Michelin PS2s Summer performance, and the KW V3s were after the tire/wheel package. Have fun!