E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod USB Interface for iDrive

12-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Question iPod USB Interface for iDrive

Has anyone installed this after the fact? The dealer is telling me "oh there is a whole kit that includes some module and the kit and install costs $800" yet on the accessories section on bmwusa.com the "kit" costs just $319.95!!!!!! So my guess is it really is just the cable and I can get it done at some good quality BMW shop. Anyone else done this AFTER getting their car? I think I've seen it called 6fl option?? This is the cable on ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130179037060 FYI, the car has iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

The kit that the dealer is talking about is ONLY for the iPod and does NOT have USB. It is different from the 6FL factory option that includes USB. The dealer price probably includes installation although that price is very high (500-600 is more like it). Even if that kit is installed by a non-dealer shop, the dealer has to program the car to accept it.

The cable on eBay is for use with the 6FL only and requires that you already have 6FL. However, it is included with the 6FL option in the US.

Currently USB (6FL) cannot be retrofitted.

Oh, and do a search. There are many posts on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep

Then what option is this: http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templa...ACHEHINT=Guest

It says you can control the iPod through the iDrive and that it is a dealer installed option. So is this more than just the cable? It seems like it gives you all the functionality from the factory installed option. I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
The one on the link is the ipod MOST adapter. It has a dock connector in the dash and costs 400-500 installed from most dealers.

The USB connecter is different and cannot be installed after the car leaves the factory. It is a USB jack in the armrest that works with not just ipods (using standard ipod cable), but any device that works as a usb mass storage device including flashdrives/harddisks any many other mp3 players.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
The one on the link is the ipod MOST adapter. It has a dock connector in the dash and costs 400-500 installed from most dealers.

The USB connecter is different and cannot be installed after the car leaves the factory. It is a USB jack in the armrest that works with not just ipods (using standard ipod cable), but any device that works as a usb mass storage device including flashdrives/harddisks any many other mp3 players.

THANK YOU! That definitely clears things up for me. So can this MOST adapter be DIY or do you NEED the dealership to do it? Is that cable on ebay the MOST adapter?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post

THANK YOU! That definitely clears things up for me. So can this MOST adapter be DIY or do you NEED the dealership to do it? Is that cable on ebay the MOST adapter?
Installing the MOST adapter is a major effort that involves removing the dash (among other things). Even if it were done DIY the dealer would have to program it. That part cannot be done DIY. So, yes, you need the dealer to do it.

The cable on eBay has NOTHING to do with the MOST adapter. It is of NO use by itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Installing the MOST adapter is a major effort that involves removing the dash (among other things). Even if it were done DIY the dealer would have to program it. That part cannot be done DIY. So, yes, you need the dealer to do it.

The cable on eBay has NOTHING to do with the MOST adapter. It is of NO use by itself.
Got it. I guess I'm going to have to start getting quotes from dealerships in my area because $800 just seems overkill to me but at least you saved me from that ebay BS. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

I paid about $600 a few months ago for it. I had to bring the car back because they screwed up the electronic glovebox lock installing it. And yes, I saw the entire dash disassembled during the install.

Remember, anything other than playlists take a while to load. And any list goes back to "A" when you go back.
      12-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post
Remember, anything other than playlists take a while to load. And any list goes back to "A" when you go back.
I'm sure it's better than some crappy FM transmitter though? As long as I can manipulate the iPod through the iDrive, search songs, playlists and artists it's gotta be better than any possible aftermarket option out there am I right?
Appreciate 0