E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick Procede Questions...

09-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i & 06 330i

Quick Procede Questions...

Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1. Do the Global User Adjustable Parameters make changes on the fly? IE. If I'm out pulling logs, look at one and make a change, say to OL Fueling, continue driving and pull another log, did that change take effect or do I need to reset the procede or cycle ignition off for 30 sec?

2. At what point in making changes should I reset Adaptations?

How long should I drive after making changes before pulling logs?

(Trying to figure out a Fuel Trim Bank 2 issue... logs to follow in a new post.)

3. With the age of the Procede Manual what exactly does each setting currently do?

Overboost limit: Max Boost

Start Bost in %: ? Manual says its the point that autotuning starts working, but autotune has been off on the aggressive maps for a while.

Start Ign Corr: ? Manual says ignition correction before autotuning.

OL fueling: I understand it to be the fuel pressure maintained by the fuel system. (It has been recommended that if fuel trims are near their 33-34 max that raising the OL setting will bring fuel trims down away from max. Is this true?)

4. Starting settings for 9-10 Aggressive maps: the readme has a section where it says to set map 2 (yes I'm running meth) to 100% start boost & 0% Ign Corr. This was a change to me from 65% & 0%, which is also instructed in a different location in the readme. (I emailed the vishnu guys and was sent back a copy paste response. I see that they are very busy right now, not stressing it.)

I want to have a better understanding of what each setting is supposed to change so that I can better analyze my logs.

Just want to get everything sorted so I can go to the track on Friday. With all the changes and revisions to the Procede it would be great to have a new manual posted with a bit more info on the different settings and their effect on the car.

Thanks for the info
Nate
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

1. On the fly. Change parameters and click apply.

2. Normally when switching firmware and/or maps after uploading via user software. Adaptations are always modifying and will settle more afterward. 3 or so WOT pulls in 3rd gear is enoguh pulls to get a decent indication of how the car is running if you were to log after.

3. Max boost is the boost ceiling the unit will autotune to, if you have autotune enabled. Not sure if new maps have autotuning or not.

Start boost %: the % difference above the 0% boost map up to the 100% boost map. Actual boost = 0% boost + [Start Boost % parameter]x [(100% boost value)-(0% boost value)]

OL fueling: Yes. This is a scaler applied to the OL fueling map. I beleive it has 5% authority in either direction. Someone correct me if this has changed.

4. Not sure what your asking. Why did they switch from 100% to 65% or vice versa? I havnt looked at the 9-10 maps, but if they did that, its likely to give more adjustability for map 2 boost. 60% provides more up and down adjustment where 100% would only allow you to adjust boost down.

There are many threads explaining how this stuff works. Search and you'll find most of your answers.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrguy View Post
Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1. Do the Global User Adjustable Parameters make changes on the fly? IE. If I'm out pulling logs, look at one and make a change, say to OL Fueling, continue driving and pull another log, did that change take effect or do I need to reset the procede or cycle ignition off for 30 sec?
yes
2. At what point in making changes should I reset Adaptations?
never. only when updating firmware maps as stated in the readme file
How long should I drive after making changes before pulling logs?
3-4 3rd gear pulls
(Trying to figure out a Fuel Trim Bank 2 issue... logs to follow in a new post.)

3. With the age of the Procede Manual what exactly does each setting currently

Overboost limit: Max Boost
max boost allowed
Start Bost in %: ? Manual says its the point that autotuning starts working, but autotune has been off on the aggressive maps for a while.
i dont know how the new logic is , before it was easier. the info is here somewhere, search
Start Ign Corr: ? Manual says ignition correction before autotuning.
the less % the more stock like timings you will run = less correction

OL fueling: I understand it to be the fuel pressure maintained by the fuel system. (It has been recommended that if fuel trims are near their 33-34 max that raising the OL setting will bring fuel trims down away from max. Is this true?)
yes basically the higher number the higher pressure
4. Starting settings for 9-10 Aggressive maps: the readme has a section where it says to set map 2 (yes I'm running meth) to 100% start boost & 0% Ign Corr. This was a change to me from 65% & 0%, which is also instructed in a different location in the readme. (I emailed the vishnu guys and was sent back a copy paste response. I see that they are very busy right now, not stressing it.)
no idea just keep predifinded settings
I want to have a better understanding of what each setting is supposed to change so that I can better analyze my logs.

Just want to get everything sorted so I can go to the track on Friday. With all the changes and revisions to the Procede it would be great to have a new manual posted with a bit more info on the different settings and their effect on the car.

Thanks for the info
Nate
see above. you need to learn a lot before starting doing changes. stick to stock settings till you are confident.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Lurker...

enrita,

Thanks for the answers. Please see the pics below of a couple of my logs. I'm actually trying to learn through the process of fixing my problem which is why I didnt want to do the whole, "here is my log, whats wrong with it" type post. I've been lurking this board for over 6 years. I assure you that I have read every search result about meth, missfire, OL fueling and Logs* (*written or updated in the last couple of years). I see the value of these boards, but with something like the Procede, or JB4, they have been updated so much, settings change and things start to get confusing for the new user, like myself. Even though these questions may have been answered in the past, changes to the software might have made those old answers incorrect.

As you can see from my logs, I have a Bank 2 Fuel Trim problem...
(I'm FBO +Meth, 93 Oct) All injectors installed and coded correctly, plugs < 1000 Miles and no codes.

My 6th pull of the day. It is either a 3rd or 4th gear pull on Map 1. Scary high fuel trims. Could this be due to me driving 20 miles post adaptation reset doing hard pulls to redline on meth, then a quick change to map 1 and doing another pull?
Name:  Log 6.png
Views: 272
Size:  63.3 KB

My 7th pull of the day, Map 4. You can see meth is flowing. Map 2 OL was set to either 90 or 95.
Name:  Log 7.png
Views: 254
Size:  63.9 KB

8th pull, map 4. Lowered OL back to 75. Fuel trims really didnt move with any of my adjustments of OL on any of my 8 logs.
Name:  log 8.png
Views: 274
Size:  62.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

Since you can code injectors, what's your current adaption value across your injectors

Give the 1-6 values plz kthx.

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter View Post
Since you can code injectors, what's your current adaption value across your injectors

Give the 1-6 values plz kthx.
I will gladly give you these numbers. I'm using vasillalovs DIY with INPA for coding. I've never looked at those menus but I'll gladly give it a shot tonight. If you can give me specific instructions it might help. (Just F4 > F9 > Shift F5.. if you know it.)

Is there a chance this will reveal that one of my injectors is maxed out and at its pulse limit, causing my problem?

Rian
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You said you're running meth, right? Could this be the problem with the bank 2 AFRs? Supposedly the meth doesn't distribute evenly, causing 5 & 6 to run lean. You may have to move your meth bungs to the hot side of the IC or at least down to the cold side of the IC.

I'm running the Vishnu PWM meth, and I noticed cyl 5 and 6 ports and valves were gummier than the other cylinders. They all had about the same amount of carbon buildup after 15k miles (cleaned last year). I will pull a log to see, but I don't remember having bad trims on bank 2 versus 1 in the past...
      09-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Whats your nozzle size and mix? its normal to have banks differences with meth. without they are the same its just not scaled properly.
you just need more fuel in there.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Whats your nozzle size and mix? its normal to have banks differences with meth. without they are the same its just not scaled properly. you just need more fuel in there.

AFRs are scaled from 8 to 20. Fuel Trims and Ign Adv -10 to 40. I do have the seperation of bank 2 when not on meth. The log above shows max trims for both banks when not on meth, this is the first time I have see this happen. I'm running 2x 1mm 75/25 mix.
Appreciate 0