E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > SickO

12-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #45
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
I've just finished watching Sicko and wanted to cry. Some of the stories in there were just sad. It made me sick to my stomach at the same time. I think America's health system is so fucked up it's not even funny.

There was a story in there in which a little girl (4 years old I think) had a 104* fever. She was insured with Kaiser Permanante. Her mom called 911 and she was taken to the nearest hospital. The people there checked with the insurance company and denied treatment for the little girl because it wasnt a hospital that's within the Kaiser's network. The mother begged the doctors to help her little girl out but was removed from the hospital because she was deemed a threat. After 4 hours of delay they were transported to another hospital, just in time for the little girl to go into cardiac arrest. They worked on her for about 30 minutes when a doctor walked in to announce she's expired.

I wanted to start this thread to see what you guys think about the system we live in.

For those who are interested in seeing the movie, here's a free link.
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/9/4667
The healthcare system in the US is still the best in the world, but it does have room for improvement. The Canadian system would be a huge step backward. There are travesties in every health system. There are no perfect systems. Yes it's sad what happened to the little girl, but we all have a responsibility to ourselves and our children to manage our own health care. Why didn't mom get the kid to the right hospital for the insurance she bought?

I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but health care is a business just like anything else. The land, buildings, equipment, nurses, doctors, janitors, staff, meds, equipment - they all cost money. Add to that the ridiculous law suits, and the cost is rising fast. Don't like the healthcare system here? Fix tort reform, and you'll see costs come down.

Before you start flaming me, tell me one other business where you can walk in the door and the business owner will provide goods or services to you knowing full well they will most likely not get paid?

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #46
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuzpeed View Post
that's bs! You are required by law to treat anybody in need of emergent care regardless of coverage. That hospital just insured that it will be liable for the death of that child.
The little girl was not an emergent case. Law states that everyone who walks in and registers in the ED gets a medical screening exam. That does not mean that every ailment is treated.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #47
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

The funny thing is when Michael Moore showed that magazine of USA being in 27th on the countries that provided health care you see CUBA right below it in 28th place!!! And then he ends up going to Cuba and giving it plaudits for its health care!! Sure i would love to see universal health care but I have a feeling the hypochandriacs may abuse it. I think it's seriously time for experimenting...

I also heard America spends the most on healthcare than any other nation but I attribute that to our rather large population.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #48
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

1. We spend a lot, but a lot is wasted. We spend ridiculous amounts of money just to cover our backsides in the event of a lawsuit. If you really dig in deep to the economics, understand what the doctors do on a daily basis and why, you'll see where the costs are. Fix tort reform, then you can start fixing the parts of medicine that don't correct themselves automatically. Look at the states that have done something about tort reform - it's a more hospitable work environment, malpractice premiums are lower, and more doctors are willing to practice there lowering prices with more competition.

Anyone here from Philly with a wife in need of an OB? Pretty hard to find one, as Philly has some of the worst malpractice laws for OB in the country. The costs are through the roof because of this.

2. Michael Moore is a lier who can't tell the whole truth because it wouldn't sell movies. He tells half truths, and/or omits relevant information becuase it doesn't support his shock tactics.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #49
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
isnt this an old ass thread?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #50
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
isnt this an old ass thread?
no thread here ever dies....it's like bad chineese food - always coming back to haunt you.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #51
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaultOne View Post
I also heard America spends the most on healthcare than any other nation but I attribute that to our rather large population.
Statisticians figured out the answer to this one long ago. It's called per capita.
Appreciate 0