E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 06 325i P0444 P0597

04-29-2024, 05:08 PM   #1
yawt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Hello hope everyone is well.

Just recently got a 06 325i (Coming from previously only Chryslers this is all foreign to me)
with a P0444 and a P0597 code.

Just recently before I got it (within the past ~450 miles) got

An oil change with new filter and all o rings replaced
New engine air filter
(Did these myself ^)

Valve cover gasket
Spark plugs
Ignition coils
(Done by a trusted third party ^)

Runs fine 90% of the time but while sitting at idle the rpms will occasionally drop from ~700 to ~500/~450 and will cause the car to shake somewhat agressively as if it’s misfiring for a moment.

Ive been able to find very little information on this code and I’m curious if the purge valve able to cause these symptoms.

With the two codes I’m curious if there’s any potential damage that it can cause the rest of the car.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions and thank you for your time!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:28 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawt View Post
...06 325i... with a P0444 and a P0597 code... Runs fine 90% of the time but while sitting at idle the rpms will
occasionally drop from ~700 to ~500/~450 and will cause the car to shake somewhat agressively...
Welcome to the Forum!
Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definitions of those Codes, with LINK to Fault Info Sheet & Service Notes:
P0444 | 2A19 | DME: Tank-venting valve, activation | MSV70 | Engine electronics
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...MAMgAyADAANAA=

P0597 | 2EF5 | DME: Map thermostat, activation | MSV70 | Engine electronics
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...UANwA4ADAANAA=

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints of Wiring & Fuses related to the two faults. If you would like testing suggestions
using a Multimeter, please advise. When you post back, please indicate Make/Model of any Scan Tool or
diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) available. If you have anything available that can "Activate" or "Trigger" the components,
THAT would be a quick initial test. BOTH faults appear to be caused by "Open Circuit" or fuse/ Lack of Voltage Supply.
The Thermostat has a heating element in the bulb, that heats the "wax bulb" to open T-Stat SOONER than it would if
simply "Mechanical". So that fault appears related to electrical circuit & NOT the T-stat itself, unless heater has failed.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 07:20 PM   #3
yawt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Thank you George for your time and speedy response!

The scan tool I have is a Zurich ZR15s (Harbor Freight brand)

To be completely honest I haven’t much knowledge/experience with the tool other than basic code reading and erasing so I am unaware if it’s able to activate individual components or not. (kind of sad on my part since the tool costs ~300s)

I don’t have access to INPA/ISTA currently I’m going to look into this further since it seems like quite a powerful program.

I also am quite unfamiliar with electrical diagrams but from my understanding of what you sent the fuel vapor vent valve is a 20Amp fuse #3, and the T-stat is a 30Amp fuse #2?

I’m going to take a look at the fuses and report back.
Appreciate 0