E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Just bought a used e90. First thing I'll do, CIC retrofit.

02-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Yakamota
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Just bought a used e90. First thing I'll do, CIC retrofit.

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to the forum. I bought a 2006 325i with Idrive last month. It was a pretty good deal, so I had some cash to spare from the money I set aside to purchase the car. I wanted to familiarize my self with the Idrive, so I looked online and the first thing that caught my attention was the cic retrofit. I had not played enough with the ccc in my car to understand why so many people choose to do the upgrade, but it became apparent very quickly. My car is an 06', although it has the idrive navigation, satellite radio and bluetooth phone pairing, It doesn't have the usb input and that's basically what I use to listen to music. A usb stick. Sure, there's always the option of "why not just get a new car with NBT evo?" but come on, I bought 12 year old car. A brand new car is not within my budget. I really like this car so I'm going to keep if for as long as I can, and I like to think of this as an investment rather than frivolous spending if I'm going to keep for a while. I wish I had gotten a manual, but at least I still have my E36 328is for that. I guess I'll document my experience doing the retrofit. There is plenty of info online, but it doesn't hurt to have more. Thank you for your time. I'll follow up when my stuff gets here.

Something that needs to be noted. Some instructions say the controller connector needs to be re-pinned from 6 to 4. My IDrive controller used the same 4 pin connector as my Aux-In cable in the center console.

Last edited by Yakamota; 03-17-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
lab_rat394.50
      02-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

Small update. My friend gave me these tools. Said he got 'em for about 5 dollars but never used them. Tried them out and they are easy to use. I removed a couple of pieces of inner trim in no time. I think this will save me some time when I get my parts.

Name:  WIN_20180221_19_47_28_Pro.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  137.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the CIC system is better in every regard, but unless you got a killer deal on stuff it's expensive.

you have idrive, so you should be able to retrofit the USB port.
I have the USB/aux jacks in my 07, it will recognize a 128gb flash drive if you format it in exfat with a specific cluster size.

no, I can't remember that cluster size.

just another option.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=62
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you can get oem usb audio retrofit from used parts for a $250 or less and there is many diy topic how to fit that
      02-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

If you watch and wait and know what you want to buy for the CiC retrofit, you can easily put everything together for under $600. If you are in good with a salvage yard you may be able to do it cheaper than that.

But from what I understand, you will need to update the existing TCU to a MULF2 to get the USB port in the console. That will require some cables and around ~$130 for the MULF2.
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
      02-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I will look into those things.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
If you watch and wait and know what you want to buy for the CiC retrofit, you can easily put everything together for under $600. If you are in good with a salvage yard you may be able to do it cheaper than that.

But from what I understand, you will need to update the existing TCU to a MULF2 to get the USB port in the console. That will require some cables and around ~$130 for the MULF2.
Yeah, thanks for the info. I've been reading the forums and saw a lot of information. I want to familiarize myself with all these things and the coding involved. I don't mind using the CIC's HDD to store music when I install it, so the center console USB isn't really a priority for me. I still mainly get around in my e36 and that has an aftermarket stereo and I noticed I only listen to a few dozen songs at a time. Don't have a big collection of music.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
Zaíne92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina White 325i E92 '06

I'm in same boat as the OP honestly I'm thinking about instal gateway 500 what you guys think? Is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

So my stuff got here today. I started taking trim apart and swapping out the parts. I ran into a bit of a problem. I hope I get some help.

My glove box looks like this. I can't figure out a place to put the USB. Most of the images I see online have a little notch that can be removed and have the usb connector fit right in. I haven't seen many with the flashlight in the way. Where can I put the USB?
Attached Images

Last edited by Yakamota; 03-12-2018 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

I'm not sure but I think theres a cut out on the back of the glovebox
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z View Post
I'm not sure but I think theres a cut out on the back of the glovebox
I was looking for it. Could not find it. If I can't find a place to put it, I'm thinking of reroute it to the center console where there's plenty of room to put it and not have to deal with opening the glovebox to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #12
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakamota View Post
So my stuff got here today. I started taking trim apart and swapping out the parts. I ran into a bit of a problem. I hope I get some help.

My glove box looks like this. I can't figure out a place to put the USB. Most of the images I see online have a little notch that can be removed and have the usb connector fit right in. I haven't seen many with the flashlight in the way. Where can I put the USB?
You have the flashlight instead of the USB socket. The glovebox flashlight was discontinued at some point in MY2007. Later glove boxes have the hole precut for USB however if the vehicle is without CIC they have the hole plugged with a small piece of plastic.

You can easily dremel your own hole somewhere in the glovebox or if you are that bothered buy a new glovebox of eBay with the hole.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
You have the flashlight instead of the USB socket. The glovebox flashlight was discontinued at some point in MY2007. Later glove boxes have the hole precut for USB however if the vehicle is without CIC they have the hole plugged with a small piece of plastic.

You can easily dremel your own hole somewhere in the glovebox or if you are that bothered buy a new glovebox of eBay with the hole.
Okay. I understand the different gloveboxes now. I just wonder if anyone with that particular one has installed the USB and where would be a convenient way to put it. I don't think buying a whole new one would be worth the trouble though.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

I thought of something. Would this socket work if I route the USB cable to the center console? I only have the aux-in plug at the moment, and I understand It wouldn't work like one that was routed with a combox installed or the 6FL option. It would work like a glovebox USB only in the center console compartment. I might just do that for convenience. See how it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #15
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

but we do not know what you plan to install
did you bought full cic retrofit ?
because hsd port of the cic and hsd port of the usb audio module have different pinout and you have to rewire you hsd connector to connect this socket to cic
      03-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
but we do not know what you plan to install
did you bought full cic retrofit ?
because hsd port of the cic and hsd port of the usb audio module have different pinout and you have to rewire you hsd connector to connect this socket to cic
hmm. Interesting. I already did the cic retrofit. It didn't take very long. I was looking for a place to put the USB port. My glovebox is older with the flashlight so no place to put it. I decided to put it in the center console. I didn't have to do all that you're saying. I went to the salvage yard this morning and found the USB/Aux port. (84109237654) they just gifted it to me. Didn't charge me. Tested the port and it worked fine importing music from Flash Drive. This has the 6 pin aux connector. My car has the 4 pin 3 wire connector. Did a quick search on newTIS for the wiring diagram. changed the pins to the new connector. Aux audio works. Now that I know the USB and the Aux are working. I'm running the wire to the center console.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakamota View Post
hmm. Interesting. I already did the cic retrofit. It didn't take very long. I was looking for a place to put the USB port. My glovebox is older with the flashlight so no place to put it. I decided to put it in the center console. I didn't have to do all that you're saying. I went to the salvage yard this morning and found the USB/Aux port. (84109237654) they just gifted it to me. Didn't charge me. Tested the port and it worked fine importing music from Flash Drive. This has the 6 pin aux connector. My car has the 4 pin 3 wire connector. Did a quick search on newTIS for the wiring diagram. changed the pins to the new connector. Aux audio works. Now that I know the USB and the Aux are working. I'm running the wire to the center console.
sorry if my words hurt you in any way, i simply reread your posts above few times and didn't find you if you already installed cic
      03-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #18
Yakamota
United_States
Rep

So Everything's up and running. I have navigation working. Only thing is I think I have a cic unit that has different DVD Region as my DVDs say "Format Unreadable" when I put them in the drive. I tried following along this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388877

I think I may be missing some steps. Will try again, unless there's a simpler method to get Region 1 on the DVD player.
Appreciate 0