E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW smoking issues on deceleration VIDEO

02-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #45
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRhodes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCon View Post
I'm a bit confused I thought this only happened for you on decel. I thought we had the same problem but I never smoke while accelerating. Should I try this and see if it happens to me as well?
Absolutely. Initially thats what happened. Only would smoke when it would shift into 1st (<5 mph) and then I ran this test that I saw and it smoked like crazy. So I would give it a shot and see what happens. Mine is getting worse every day. I actually found a deal of a set of used turbos (350.00) for the set. So might buy them and get them rebuilt and throw them on. Hoping my total cost for everything is around 2K which I would be happy with at this point as long as it fixes this irritating issue.
Just tried it. Yup it smokes when I hold it at 1k rpm. We definitely have the exact same problem.
      02-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #46
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just tried it. Yup it smokes when I hold it at 1k rpm. We definitely have the exact same problem.
I'm talking to a garage now. I believe I'm going to get the BMW factory turbos (625 a piece) and just get them put on. I was thinking of doing a stage 2 upgrade from Pure but I'm not sure if 170K on the car is worth it. Even though that would be fun.

Turbos: 1250.00
Labor: 1100.00
Total: 2350.00 (Excluding shop charge for fluids and gaskets)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #47
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm talking to a garage now. I believe I'm going to get the BMW factory turbos (625 a piece) and just get them put on. I was thinking of doing a stage 2 upgrade from Pure but I'm not sure if 170K on the car is worth it. Even though that would be fun.

Turbos: 1250.00
Labor: 1100.00
Total: 2350.00 (Excluding shop charge for fluids and gaskets)
I'm sure that will fix the problem. If so I'm going either Pure or RB. Keep me posted!
      02-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #48
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure that will fix the problem. If so I'm going either Pure or RB. Keep me posted!
if you do it, i'll do it
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #49
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any updates from anyone?

Having same issue smoke on Decel coming to a stop.

I wish it could be a pcv valve or valve cover but it looks like its turbo seals leaking oil to the exhaust or a clogged drain.

Has anyone taken the oil drains out and cleaned them? I read drains are a problem in this turbos.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #50
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
Any updates from anyone?

Having same issue smoke on Decel coming to a stop.

I wish it could be a pcv valve or valve cover but it looks like its turbo seals leaking oil to the exhaust or a clogged drain.

Has anyone taken the oil drains out and cleaned them? I read drains are a problem in this turbos.
Taking my car into the shop tonight for them to verify the issue. I should know tomorrow afternoon if it is in deed the turbos. Quoted 4900 for new turbos and installation.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #51
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Taking my car into the shop tonight for them to verify the issue. I should know tomorrow afternoon if it is in deed the turbos. Quoted 4900 for new turbos and installation.
Awesome plz post ur findings. Im sure if you shoo around you can get oem installed for under 3k
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #52
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
Awesome plz post ur findings. Im sure if you shoo around you can get oem installed for under 3k
Okay so an update. The garage said it can either be seals or valve stem seals. We were talking and we could do both jobs for only 1000 dollars more and the whole top end and turbos would be new. Should be around 4500 to complete so now I'm just in limbo on what to do
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #53
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt its valve seals honestly. Turbo seals are common issue. Btw mmp is having a GB for $2450 for their stage 3's
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #54
Blue E92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is e92

Garage List
2012 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Okay so an update. The garage said it can either be seals or valve stem seals. We were talking and we could do both jobs for only 1000 dollars more and the whole top end and turbos would be new. Should be around 4500 to complete so now I'm just in limbo on what to do
If you are unsure about valve stem seals just have them call you once the turbos are off and If they see any oil on or around the valve stems.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #55
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

I'm having the same exact issue although I had no smoke whatsoever other than when I would idle for a few minutes, a cloud of smoke would puff out, that's it. THEN, I took my car in to get new front axles and a secondary cat delete. I get the car back and not only does the boot fall off the axle 2 miles down the road, it splashes grease all over my exhaust which my mechanic said was the initial reason for the smoking. Long story short after getting A new boot packed with Grease and put on, it is still smoking more than I am comfortable with. I as well had the MHD stage 2 witg blurble option and saw that it was supposed to be fixed with their version seven.

My question is are you guys still driving around like this? I'm not sure if it's bad for the vehicle as much as it is embarrassing. I'll keep everyone posted, I know that I do need a new valve cover gasket and I did have the initial problem of a cloud of smoke after idling so maybe it's my valves stems, maybe it's my Turbos....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #56
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnhogue7 View Post
I'm having the same exact issue although I had no smoke whatsoever other than when I would idle for a few minutes, a cloud of smoke would puff out, that's it. THEN, I took my car in to get new front axles and a secondary cat delete. I get the car back and not only does the boot fall off the axle 2 miles down the road, it splashes grease all over my exhaust which my mechanic said was the initial reason for the smoking. Long story short after getting A new boot packed with Grease and put on, it is still smoking more than I am comfortable with. I as well had the MHD stage 2 witg blurble option and saw that it was supposed to be fixed with their version seven.

My question is are you guys still driving around like this? I'm not sure if it's bad for the vehicle as much as it is embarrassing. I'll keep everyone posted, I know that I do need a new valve cover gasket and I did have the initial problem of a cloud of smoke after idling so maybe it's my valves stems, maybe it's my Turbos....

This is IDENTICAL to what happened to me.. It would randomly smoke if left idle. After I got the Cat's deleted it does it all the time. I read that the Cats just covered the issue and that people have drove thousands of miles with it smoking, or reinstalled the cats so it wouldnt smoke. Im assuming it is the turbo seals, but I am saving just to have both jobs done since the garage is giving me a pretty good deal on the job. I just hate sinking 5K into a car that is worth a little more than that, but I love this car so it has to be done.

Option 2 would be to install cats and drive it around while saving for the two jobs to be completed. Im assuming as long as you arent burning oil at a rapid pace and can handle the embarrassing factor, the car will be ok since it isnt doing anything to the internals of the engine (Smoke is occurring outside the engine in the turbo's). But I also imagine they will eventually get so bad that Turbos will need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #57
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Quote:
This is IDENTICAL to what happened to me.. It would randomly smoke if left idle. After I got the Cat's deleted it does it all the time. I read that the Cats just covered the issue and that people have drove thousands of miles with it smoking, or reinstalled the cats so it wouldnt smoke. Im assuming it is the turbo seals, but I am saving just to have both jobs done since the garage is giving me a pretty good deal on the job. I just hate sinking 5K into a car that is worth a little more than that, but I love this car so it has to be done.

Option 2 would be to install cats and drive it around while saving for the two jobs to be completed. Im assuming as long as you arent burning oil at a rapid pace and can handle the embarrassing factor, the car will be ok since it isnt doing anything to the internals of the engine (Smoke is occurring outside the engine in the turbo's). But I also imagine they will eventually get so bad that Turbos will need to be replaced.
Well I embarked on changing my valve cover gasket last night and after further examining all corners and crevices on the cover, this might be our culprit! I have read several threads where guys swore it was the turbos and ended up being the VC gasket. Mine was leaking and on it's last leg on the passengers side, some in front, near the oil housing, and last but certainly not lest, in the middle channel where the plugs and injectors are. Unforunelty I cracked my cover baldly and had to order another so I'm hoping to have that tomorrow to finish the job. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #58
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnhogue7 View Post
Well I embarked on changing my valve cover gasket last night and after further examining all corners and crevices on the cover, this might be our culprit! I have read several threads where guys swore it was the turbos and ended up being the VC gasket. Mine was leaking and on it's last leg on the passengers side, some in front, near the oil housing, and last but certainly not lest, in the middle channel where the plugs and injectors are. Unforunelty I cracked my cover baldly and had to order another so I'm hoping to have that tomorrow to finish the job. I'll keep you posted.
Did it end up being the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #59
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

On my X5 with N62 engine, I had bad valve stem seals. The car was smoking like crazy every time I took off from a stop light (they call it the smoke of shame). I DIY'd with the AGA tool kit so I don't have to pull the engine and go through timing and all that cr*p. Now BMW has updated valve stem seals for that particular engine - the originals didn't have viton rubber and deformed badly after 30-40 k miles. All the N62 engines from that era suffered from that. This would be a first for the N54 engines. Check AGA (San Diego shop) see if they have valve stem seals tools for this engine. If they don't, it means you are very unlucky, or it's a different issue. Valve stem seals smoke really bad (like your vid - but mine were a tad worse) after the engine warms up, and every time you take off after about at least 1min of idle. Also, my oil consumption was through the roof when I had the issue. Needed to top up 1qt for every fill at the pump. And that V8 engine is thirsty. Was getting about 200-250 miles between fill-ups. Plus that qt of oil - almost like the old 2 stroke engines.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #60
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Still have this issue. Requires a quart every ~1k miles. Pure Stage 2 turbos going in next week and I bet that fixes the problem. Will report back if it does or not
      06-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #61
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Still have this issue. Requires a quart every ~1k miles. Pure Stage 2 turbos going in next week and I bet that fixes the problem. Will report back if it does or not
Yeah Let us know! I actually put the stock exhaust on with the cats, c7 corvette tips with muffler delete and no more smoke. I know it is currently hiding the issue, but driving 4K miles a year I might be able to get away with it until I figure out what I want to do with the car. It sounds amazing now BTW and I will get a vid up asap.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #62
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just to update everyone I had my Pure Stage 2 turbos installed and FINALLY no more smoking. That being said I've only put about 100 miles on the car but I'm seeing no smoking whatsoever. Looks like if you're having this problem it's time for some new turbos
      07-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #63
noorj
calibrator
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

any more updates? very helpful tho! I'm seeing close to the same symptoms on my e90 after a secondary cat delete, thinking it's the 130k mile turbos
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #64
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to update everyone I had my Pure Stage 2 turbos installed and FINALLY no more smoking. That being said I've only put about 100 miles on the car but I'm seeing no smoking whatsoever. Looks like if you're having this problem it's time for some new turbos
I take it back. Just happened again I'm pissed... having rod bearing replaced will report back if that fixes it
      08-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #65
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I take it back. Just happened again I'm pissed... having rod bearing replaced will report back if that fixes it
Just updating you all... had my rod bearings replaced and it finally stopped this issue
      08-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #66
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just updating you all... had my rod bearings replaced and it finally stopped this issue
what made you do rod bearings
Appreciate 0