E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > So I'm moving to Miami.....

05-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
jfiore13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2018 M5

I'm in Miami now, live in palm beach gardens only come here once every once in a while for a change of life.. Much different and crowded here ! A lot of Spanish !
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't personally like Miami because I don't like crowds or traffic, however some of the comments here are just so over the top they are ridiculous. Many of my friends live in Miami and don't speak a word of spanish. One of them works an hour away in Boca and drives every day. I ask him why he doesn't move north closer to work and he says he LOVES Miami and he would never move. Different strokes for different folks.

OP I'm not sure this applies to all industries, but I have personally noticed salaries north of Miami are significantly better than Miami. IMO it's pretty low in Miami, better in Ft Lauderdale, best around Boca then drop off again as you go further north towards west palm (less jobs also at least in my field).

You you may start off in Miami and end up moving north or decide you really like it and stay there. I'm in Boynton near Delray and I really like it. It's much calmer than Miami, cheaper housing and then you have Delray right there if you want to go out they have great bars and restaurants. Of course we have a lot more grey hairs around here which some people are not a fan of but it's fine with me.
There are non Spanish areas. Over town, opalocka. Are referring to those? Coconut grove and south beach I'd say also. Other then that though.......I don't see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
There are non Spanish areas. Over town, opalocka. Are referring to those? Coconut grove and south beach I'd say also. Other then that though.......I don't see it.
I'm not sure exactly what you don't see. My point was you don't have to be or speak spanish to manage to live in Miami. Unless you lived in little havana and conducted all your business there and shopped strictly at navarro supermarket, I'm pretty sure you could manage without speaking spanish.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Check out the South Florida Bimmer page on Facebook. They always have big events like coffee runs and meets.

Other than that, Miami is ok, just like any other big city. They have some good restaurants and bars in downtown or South Miami area. South Beach is fine during the day, at night it's garbage unless you like to pay for overprice parking and clubs.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you don't see. My point was you don't have to be or speak spanish to manage to live in Miami. Unless you lived in little havana and conducted all your business there and shopped strictly at navarro supermarket, I'm pretty sure you could manage without speaking spanish.
ok ill give you the three places I have worked around.
One university of miami- English is fine probably because of all the college kids. Hung out at brickell.

All around the airport- complete Spanish. Stop at a burger king or whatever and its hard to get your order sometimes. Le jeune rd........

West of turnpike and krome ave- I tried to get my haircut at a supercuts and they didn't have anyone who spoke English to help me.

All along the palmetto- the billboards are in Spanish and alot of business signs.

I was naming those places because I wanted to know the areas you are talking about, not trying to offend you, just making conversation........
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #28
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

I appreciate all the feedback. Spanish speaking really isn't our main concern, however, its the drivers which we'll have to adapt. The better 1/2 doesn't like driving into NYC or any metropolitan area but she needs overcome this for her to move around in the Miami area. One of her employment opportunities is on North Miami Beach which is a hike from Kendall while others are in the Kendall area and Brickell. So she may just settle for being closer to the house.

I already have employment lined up but would rather find something on my own off the bat. As 30fps mentioned, I wouldn't mind working in Broward or even hike up to Palm Beach for the right $$, though as for traffic I may be going against it. IIRC traffic going into Miami on I-95 from Palm Beach/Broward is total gridlock in the mornings while driving north on 95 from Miami is fine. I remember back in college at FAU for my one semester I worked at the Jackson Memorial Hospital DCFCU branch for a month while living in Pembroke Pines and it literally took me 90 minutes to commute about 25 miles. Every morning I would see the same exact cars braking at the same exact spot. Eventually I transfered for a better position over at the Doral branch near the Dolphin Mall so I took I-75 from Pemboke Pines with no traffic either way. Commute time was only 25 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
ok ill give you the three places I have worked around.
One university of miami- English is fine probably because of all the college kids. Hung out at brickell.

All around the airport- complete Spanish. Stop at a burger king or whatever and its hard to get your order sometimes. Le jeune rd........

West of turnpike and krome ave- I tried to get my haircut at a supercuts and they didn't have anyone who spoke English to help me.

All along the palmetto- the billboards are in Spanish and alot of business signs.

I was naming those places because I wanted to know the areas you are talking about, not trying to offend you, just making conversation........
I was not talking about any area in particular just Miami in general. However some of my friends that dont speak spanish live in Miami Lakes, Coconut Groove/Aventura, North Miami Beach. When I lived there I lived near the airport and South Beach although I do not count myself as I do speak spanish.

One of those friends I mentioned actually likes to smoke cigars. His favorite thing to do is go down to little havana and go to the small cigar shops they have there (now definitely no english here) and hang out with the owners, smoke cigars and drink cuban coffee. How they communicate for an hour or two (how long it takes to smoke a cigar) I don't know. They might just sit in silence. I will have to go with him sometime.

Actually I would say one of the things I miss about Miami (maybe more Miami Beach specifically) is the fact that you have people from all over the world. I was at a party at my friends house a few weeks back and it was awesome. We had cuban (just me lol), french, columbian, serbian, macedonian, croatian, egyptian, american, german, spanish all at this one place having a great time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was not talking about any area in particular just Miami in general. However some of my friends that dont speak spanish live in Miami Lakes, Coconut Groove/Aventura, North Miami Beach. When I lived there I lived near the airport and South Beach although I do not count myself as I do speak spanish.

One of those friends I mentioned actually likes to smoke cigars. His favorite thing to do is go down to little havana and go to the small cigar shops they have there (now definitely no english here) and hang out with the owners, smoke cigars and drink cuban coffee. How they communicate for an hour or two (how long it takes to smoke a cigar) I don't know. They might just sit in silence. I will have to go with him sometime.

Actually I would say one of the things I miss about Miami (maybe more Miami Beach specifically) is the fact that you have people from all over the world. I was at a party at my friends house a few weeks back and it was awesome. We had cuban (just me lol), french, columbian, serbian, macedonian, croatian, egyptian, american, german, spanish all at this one place having a great time.
nice, yea you def get the multi cultural aspect. The cigar friend story was funny to me because I have friends like that also. They will go to places and do that but they have no idea what's going on.
I can respect cultures, i think it's more I miss florida 10-15 years ago. Me and my wife have actually been talking about moving to the west coast because it's slower and more relaxed. Mind you we are only 30, but we both grew up away from the miami lifestyle. It seems that miami lifestyle is creeping north also, so it's getting kind of annoying for us. Like driving has changed over the last couple years. The housing market downfall with people that shouldnt have bought a house in a nice area were able to. (when i say that I mean people who buy a house in a nice area because they have cash, but then they don't keep up the house and it's trashy). We live in coral springs right now, and it's pretty much opa locka overfill in our neighborhood right now.

Broward/miami governments are horrible also. Blantent corruption but no one really seems to care down there.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
mdsonictt
Rep
Drives: -

Miami is a fair place to live, busy nightlife, lively during the colder months from snowbirds, etc. I'd say over 50% of Miami is hispanic, so naturally there are a large number of spanish speakers. The beaches are known to be nice, just depends what you are into. The traffic and driving shouldn't be terrible to adapt to, especially coming from NY.

If your job situation is better in FL, who cares about the little things? Good luck and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #32
Bimmer-Pilot
NY Yankees #1
Cuba
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW E92

Garage List
2008 Ferrari F-430  [0.00]
06 X-3  [0.00]
Hey Bro... I'm from Fishkill and moved down here to Palm Beach back in 05" and I love it....I'm in MIA. about once a week and love that I get to come back to Palm Beach just a bit to much for me....reminds me of NYC... But you're going to love it down here....Good luck bro
      05-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep

Wifey and I plan on going out dancing maybe a few times a year so we won't be around the nightlife all that much. Mostly it'll be family movie nights, going out to eat in the Kendall area and maybe once in a while bring the kids out to the grove/ocean drive to see the adult nightlife. As I mentioned previously, I want to be able to take the fam on trips to the Keys, Daytona, etc... NYC is a great city, though expensive to do things and I feel that the Miami area and surroundings offers better opportunities and adventures. Only 31 days till we start driving down I-95...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Pilot View Post
Hey Bro... I'm from Fishkill and moved down here to Palm Beach back in 05" and I love it....I'm in MIA. about once a week and love that I get to come back to Palm Beach just a bit to much for me....reminds me of NYC... But you're going to love it down here....Good luck bro
I was just in Fishkill this morning washing the Stang and getting meds for the wifey @ Walmart. Parts of Palm Beach County reminds me of Fishkill like Boca, very laid back.
Appreciate 0