E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2010 E90 prof nav TMC intermittent at best

09-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
2010 E90 prof nav TMC intermittent at best

I've had my 2010 335d with professional nav (hard drive system) for 2 weeks and I now realise that the traffic updates are either non-existent (i.e. system says there are no traffic reports - for the whole of the UK!) or take up to an hour to appear during journeys. At first I thought it was the school holidays - having sat in much traffic in the last week, I realise it's not the lack of traffic, but the lack of TMC updates.

My F10 and E60 worked absolutely fine all the time, and only took 30 secs or so to update after starting the car/nav destination - so it's not a problem with the signal in my area. My Classic FM signal is also crystal clear.

The only thing different possibly, is that I have an iPhone 4 cradle installed in the arm-rest. The 'TMC' icon is showing as being turned on. iDrive settings have traffic info (and all kinds) switched on. On the E60 there was a setting for the TMC transmitter that could be set to 'Auto' or other settings, but there is no such setting on the E90 HDD system (nor was there on the F10).

Anyone any ideas before I go to the dealership and get given a load of bull****?
      09-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

For what it's worth I have the prof NAV system and an iPhone4 cradle. The system works fine and shows traffic info very soon after a route has been set in the NAV.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
Well took it the dealer today under warranty. Was getting 'no traffic information available at this time' still more often than not.

They had the car for the day in case there was a software update due or a reload required. All they did was tell me that because TMC is transmitted by Classic FM, then it won't work properly unless that station is stored as a station in the radio function. Now I knew it was transmitted by Classic FM, but I thought a different receiver picked up the TMC signals?

You would have thought the manual would say that, or you would be told to always leave that station stored when the car is handed over to you from new??

Will see how it goes over the next few days - I have a mammoth journey on Friday as a test. Will be VERY annoyed if that isn't the issue because I asked before booking it in if they could think of anything obvious - they said it was better to leave it with them for the day instead. One courtesy car admin fee, over 75 miles charge @ 30ppm later....

What do you guys think?
      09-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Pretty sure that's not true. I definitely don't have Classic FM stored as a preset on my radio, yet my TMC works fine. Don't see how it even makes sense - the tuner isn't tuned to all presets at the same time and, as you say, the TMC is handled by a different receiver to the regular FM radio...