E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive and iOS

09-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

iDrive and iOS

Hello folks,

I'm a new e90 owner, so I'm not too familiar with iDrive yet. From what I've read, there have been extensive issues with the integration of iDrive and Apple's iOS7. Now that iOS8 has been released, can we expect an iDrive update to address the connectivity issues that started back in iOS7?

The main thing I'm interested in is getting full "Office" functionality; having SMS/email display properly on iDrive would be lovely.

Any speculation as to when we may see the next iDrive update?

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
93civEJ1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 01 Z06

I am trying to find a thread that explains exactly what Idrive is. I know it has to do with my center section where I can control the nav and sound etc, but what all else is it? Of course i have the CCC idrive because I too am an e90 year or 2007 but am a brand new owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

there's another post about iOS8 not integrating well, depending upon model year of the car one day a firmware update will come along and if lucky you'll have a may 2010 or newer car with a usb port in the glove box and you can download and install it yourself for free

idrive is just the name BMW gave to the combination of big screen and mouse controlled entertainment system.

a lot refer to the "mouse" as the idrive controller.... in a 2007 car its a hideous awkward joke... after a few years they went to a better one that is pretty good and remains even today as the basis for controlling the radio, cd player, some heater controls and where fitted phone system, Bluetooth phone, sat nav, usb audio connection.... all can be retrofitted all the way to exchanging everything in your car to the current stuff in new cars... the fun is the size of your wallet and finding someone clever enough to code it well.

If I were you I'd by a hooky 2015 map disc for 20 quid and get a dealer to fully update the software on your car and spent 200 quid so you can fit the later switch together with a new centre console trim.... its so much nicer to work with.

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/bmw-...nd-generation/

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-27-2014 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
93civEJ1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
there's another post about iOS8 not integrating well, depending upon model year of the car one day a firmware update will come along and if lucky you'll have a may 2010 or newer car with a usb port in the glove box and you can download and install it yourself for free

idrive is just the name BMW gave to the combination of big screen and mouse controlled entertainment system.

a lot refer to the "mouse" as the idrive controller.... in a 2007 car its a hideous awkward joke... after a few years they went to a better one that is pretty good and remains even today as the basis for controlling the radio, cd player, some heater controls and where fitted phone system, Bluetooth phone, sat nav, usb audio connection.... all can be retrofitted all the way to exchanging everything in your car to the current stuff in new cars... the fun is the size of your wallet and finding someone clever enough to code it well.

If I were you I'd by a hooky 2015 map disc for 20 quid and get a dealer to fully update the software on your car and spent 200 quid so you can fit the later switch together with a new centre console trim.... its so much nicer to work with.

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/bmw-...nd-generation/
I this directed to me?
So far I havent found anything wrong with my 2007 Idrive system..but I havent seen the new ones either. I do hate that I cant just use my apple cable to control my music and would love to see if I have the latest CCC update that is available for my 2007 idrive. How would I know that?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
I this directed to me?
So far I havent found anything wrong with my 2007 Idrive system..but I havent seen the new ones either. I do hate that I cant just use my apple cable to control my music and would love to see if I have the latest CCC update that is available for my 2007 idrive. How would I know that?

yes for you,

the entertainment menu system / look doesn't update with car software update... but sure firmware will change with subtle (probably unseen and unnoticed improvements and apple integration I expect will be better... (see posts where even current new cars can't yet cope with the iOS8 update, so you may as well wait and hope they retrospectively sort even on old cars). Other stuff improves like engine management, diagnostics and other bits and bobs will be updated...

depending on build date of your 2007 car it either already supports the new idrive controller (see cnet link I gave) or it will after the car it brought up to date. (if car made post Oct 2007 it already can do old or new idrive, just buy of ebay secondhand and plug it in) Its so much nicer to work with

if you want new look (of menus), faster interaction, high def screen and Bluetooth streaming then you must rip all the screen head unit and control modules and buy a CIC system with combox... depending on where you look circa $2000 plus loads of stress finding someone to sort wiring and software... note once you do this the car can't be updated by BMW anymore... so always best to get car sorted to "latest integration level" at BM dealer (for around 1 hr labour... they will tell you it can't be done / isn't worth it - they lie) than add toys....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #6
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I this directed to me?
I do hate that I cant just use my apple cable to control my music and would love to see if I have the latest CCC update that is available for my 2007 idrive. How would I know that?

there's two thing here....

1) before anyone buys any BMW made in last 12 years they should put the chassis number in a BMW site and see what original toys the owner bought...

if you didn't do that, do it now. Before you post any questions on any forum. This way others can help easily and you don't get to ask the wrong questions and wind people up.

There are so many permutations and its standard for the first owner to be too stupid to select the right options ! So your car ends up missing vital wiring and or control boxes. It can all be put back in but its hideously expensive, hardwork. Finding a local expert who can do it in a few hours is a good idea, bite the bullet and pay up. Otherwise you end up trying to get the parts in never ending stress over more than 6 months and in the end pay out more than the shocking quote the first guy was actually asking.

2) idrive controlling your iPod is a standard feature IF you have the option that gives this feature and IF you use the correct connection

After you look up what toys you have IF you have option 6FL you can do exactly what you want. If not you can't control or charge your iPod in the best way possible. Or you pay out 400 quid / 500 dollars to get one fitted.

If you have 6FL there will be a USB socket and a 3.5mm stereo in jack, in the centre console.... now you laughing.
All you need to do is "buy a BMW spec Y connector" these are about 15 dollars / 10 quid of the internet. Plug the USB in the centre console along with the 3.5mm jack the other end goes in the bottom of the iPod. The USB charges / displays the iPod info on the idrive screen and lets you navigate around the iPod menu system properly (using either steering wheel buttons or idrive controller), the sound goes in the car via the 3.5 mm stereo jack

The box of tricks that gives this feature resides on the boot floor (MULF 2 high) and also gives ability to cheaply add on Bluetooth phone connection... Its a different (mostly better) box of tricks than most USA spec cars your age came with. USA cars got Bluetooth with basic pay service internet features using another option (TCU). You can have either or both of these modules. If you have neither you could (and its a better way to go) replace the features of both MULF and TCU using the current COMBOX module.

NOW read the post above about software updates

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-05-2014 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
93civEJ1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
there's two thing here....

1) before anyone buys any BMW made in last 12 years they should put the chassis number in a BMW site and see what original toys the owner bought...

if you didn't do that, do it now. Before you post any questions on any forum. This way others can help easily and you don't get to ask the wrong questions and wind people up.

There are so many permutations and its standard for the first owner to be too stupid to select the right options ! So your car ends up missing vital wiring and or control boxes. It can all be put back in but its hideously expensive, hardwork. Finding a local expert who can do it in a few hours is a good idea, bite the bullet and pay up. Otherwise you end up trying to get the parts in never ending stress over more than 6 months and in the end pay out more than the shocking quote the first guy was actually asking.

2) idrive controlling your iPod is a standard feature IF you have the option that gives this feature and IF you use the correct connection

After you look up what toys you have IF you have option 6FL you can do exactly what you want. If not you can't control or charge your iPod in the best way possible. Or you pay out 400 quid / 500 dollars to get one fitted.

If you have 6FL there will be a USB socket and a 3.5mm stereo in jack, in the centre console.... now you laughing.
All you need to do is "buy a BMW spec Y connector" these are about 15 dollars / 10 quid of the internet. Plug the USB in the centre console along with the 3.5mm jack the other end goes in the bottom of the iPod. The USB charges / displays the iPod info on the idrive screen and lets you navigate around the iPod menu system properly (using either steering wheel buttons or idrive controller), the sound goes in the car via the 3.5 mm stereo jack

The box of tricks that gives this feature resides on the boot floor (MULF 2 high) and also gives ability to cheaply add on Bluetooth phone connection... Its a different (mostly better) box of tricks than most USA spec cars your age came with. USA cars got Bluetooth with basic pay service internet features using another option (TCU). You can have either or both of these modules. If you have neither you could (and its a better way to go) replace the features of both MULF and TCU using the current COMBOX module.

NOW read the post above about software updates
Thanks for the post.

I already knew about my car having the 6FL etc. Thats the reason for my post / question. I just dont see why they couldnt have made it without the need for a Y cable and be able do sound and all just through the straight apple connection. Im pretty sure radios were doing this back in 2007. I could be wrong, but I think getting audio through the 3.5 jack is a little on the lame side when they could have gotten audio directly through that 30 pin connection.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the post.

I already knew about my car having the 6FL etc. Thats the reason for my post / question. I just dont see why they couldnt have made it without the need for a Y cable and be able do sound and all just through the straight apple connection. Im pretty sure radios were doing this back in 2007. I could be wrong, but I think getting audio through the 3.5 jack is a little on the lame side when they could have gotten audio directly through that 30 pin connection.
maybe coz it doesn't work !!! my merc does it your way and its a sick joke, the volume is pathetic !!!! they ended up adding an extra gadget to try and wind it up and on later cars post 2009 you can ask for bodge on a software update to provide and on off boost option....

the BM setup works properly and is about 10 times louder than on my merc (that when new cost the first mug more than 150k dollars)

there's another VERY good reason to do it the BM way. BM's method puts the sound into the car using an analogue signal... this way as tech improves in the phone the DAC gets updated and you get best quality.... would you want a garbage DAC fitted by BM 7 years ago or the shiny new one in your brand new phone?

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-05-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0