E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Drive by Wire and Tuning

01-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

I have been watching quite a few threads about throttle and wastegate operation.. some pros, some cons.

let me use an analogy if possible:

there are guys that are in a camp i would like to call P51ers -- these guys like to have substantial horsepower on tap, with fully manual control over the performance of their machines -- Direct throttle control, control surface manipulation (rudder, aileron, flaps etc.) this aircraft is still considered stellar in its overall performance and capabilities.

then there is the F18ers --- folks that dont mind the fly-by-wire control system -- a system that is advanced and takes into mind the ultra-high performance required by a Mach 2 aircraft. this method allows the pilot to do some incredible manuvers and remain stable -- when the stick is moved the plane adjusts the control surfaces to provide to optimum flight characteristic requested by the pilot. in some cases the computer will move one or more control surface to reach the target input. in certain cases, there are multiple control surface movement, those which the conventional pilot is not familiar with or capable of doing at very high speeds. hanging on at 6gs can be pretty tough ive heard... so quickness and precision is first on the list of DO's

since the engine is a glorified air pump the best way to control its operation is to vary its ability to take air in and release it. using two control surfaces -- the throttle plate, and wastegate are best choices for pulling this type of duty. so the computer take in account the drivers request and then tailors the control surfaces to fit the condition within operational limits.

the more the flash tuners learn about the DME operation, the better the flash tunes will become.

one thing does concern me is the ability to take away some failsafe features.. not everyone is an owner, nor do they intend to be... and some will press the envelope with total disregard for the durability and ultimately the longevity of the engine and driveline. we have seen in a couple of cases where tuners, at the request of individuals, provided a less than safe tune, and yes its in the hands of purchaser... but sometimes caution is thrown to the wind and things can go wrong. i hope for everyones sake, those control features dont go away, or at least until there is an alternative

im not paying the "tuner" police ... far from it.. Ill just quote the Fram Man .. from the 70s and 80s -- you can pay me know; or you can pay me later

Last edited by shifterboy45; 01-24-2011 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
one thing does concern me is the ability to take away some failsafe features.. not everyone is an owner, nor do they intend to be... and some will press the envelope with total disregard for the durability and ultimately the longevity of the engine and driveline. we have seen in a couple of cases where tuners, at the request of individuals, provided a less than safe tune, and yes its in the hands of purchaser... but sometimes caution is thrown to the wind and things can go wrong. i hope for everyones sake, those control features dont go away, or at least until there is an alternative
Pay to play. Those who don't do their research and incur issues derived from their own ignorance, are to blame.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Pay to play. Those who don't do their research and incur issues derived from their own ignorance, are to blame.
I don't think that's what he meant. It's those that mod with no intention of keeping the car or taking responsibility for it in the future (a percentage of the lease-modders - but not all). It is the unknowing purchasers of those cars that incur issues caused by the ignorance of others.
Appreciate 0