E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > WTFuel Injector

02-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
as1241
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

WTFuel Injector

I've been a long time reader of this forum and an even longer fan of BMW, but my recent experience with my 335i has really soured my image of the brand and want to share my short story.

Let me start by saying I have loved BMW since I was a kid:

This was my uncle's E30 M3 that he purchased new in 1990.

I've owned several other BMWs in the past including an E39, E46, and a 330i E90. These were all great cars with which I never had any major issues. I've encouraged friends and family to purchase BMW. I have a giant BMW flag hanging in my garage. Needless to say, I am a fan.

Fast forward to today: My 2010 335i is having idle issues, ticking noises, misfires, etc. and at 53k, it is just outside of warranty. The problem that I have, and suspect that most people have/had/will have in the future, are the fuel injectors.

BMW has acknowledged this in the 07-08 production years and performed an open campaign to replace them with a revised part number (13 53 7 585 261) as part of an "emissions recall." This revised part is found in the later N54 engines up to the N55. But the new injectors are crap as well; from what I see and read, these issues are becoming more and more prevalent. After reading countless threads about faulty injectors (referring to the revised part), I decided to call BMW NA in hopes that they might be able to assist with replacement costs. After taking the car to get an official diagnosis from the dealer, they quoted me $1500 in parts and $600 in labor to replace all 6 injectors. This seemed unusually high for parts but, OK. A week later, BMW called and said they could cover 10% of labor costs.... WOW! 10%.

Fuel injectors are and easy fix so I decide to order them from ECS and replace them myself. They are out of stock. OK. Try other places, they are out as well. Finally call the dealer and they say they are "nationally backordered." He goes on to tell me that the part (13 53 7 585 261) that I'm looking for has actually been revised again with part number 13 53 8 616 079. Which costs twice as much (hence the $1500 amount in the quote). And it's also backordered. Anyone else heard of this part number? Google doesn't produce results.

So now I'm stuck with crappy injectors and I can't replace them with the old part number because they are obviously crap and I don't think it's prudent to spend $1500 on parts for the new ones. Would likely have to wait several weeks for dealers to get the part even if I wanted to.

Before someone goes off about how my car is out of warranty and I shouldn't expect anything from BMW, this seems to be the exact same situation with 07-08 production years where BMW have performed a recall and I simply feel they should do the same with later years as well. The N54 has serious fuel issues that should be addressed, otherwise, customers are constantly giving money hand over fist to BMW for parts and labor only to encounter the problem in the future.

In short, they are profiting from their own bad design and I'm pissed. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited by as1241; 02-07-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

They are listed on Tischer for $191.48 each

getbmwparts.com
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by as1241 View Post
I've been a long time reader of this forum and an even longer fan of BMW, but my recent experience with my 335i has really soured my image of the brand and want to share my short story.

Let me start by saying I have loved BMW since I was a kid:

This was my uncle's E30 M3 that he purchased new in 1990.

I've owned several other BMWs in the past including an E39, E46, and a 330i E90. These were all great cars with which I never had any major issues. I've encouraged friends and family to purchase BMW. I have a giant BMW flag hanging in my garage. Needless to say, I am a fan.

Fast forward to today: My 2010 335i is having idle issues, ticking noises, misfires, etc. and at 53k, it is just outside of warranty. The problem that I have, and suspect that most people have/had/will have in the future, are the fuel injectors.

BMW has acknowledged this in the 07-08 production years and performed an open campaign to replace them with a revised part number (13 53 7 585 261) as part of an "emissions recall." This revised part is found in the later N54 engines up to the N55. But the new injectors are crap as well; from what I see and read, these issues are becoming more and more prevalent. After reading countless threads about faulty injectors (referring to the revised part), I decided to call BMW NA in hopes that they might be able to assist with replacement costs. After taking the car to get an official diagnosis from the dealer, they quoted me $1500 in parts and $600 in labor to replace all 6 injectors. This seemed unusually high for parts but, OK. A week later, BMW called and said they could cover 10% of labor costs.... WOW! 10%.

Fuel injectors are and easy fix so I decide to order them from ECS and replace them myself. They are out of stock. OK. Try other places, they are out as well. Finally call the dealer and they say they are "nationally backordered." He goes on to tell me that the part (13 53 7 585 261) that I'm looking for has actually been revised again with part number 13 53 8 616 079. Which costs twice as much (hence the $1500 amount in the quote). And it's also backordered. Anyone else heard of this part number? Google doesn't produce results.

So now I'm stuck with crappy injectors and I can't replace them with the old part number because they are obviously crap and I don't think it's prudent to spend $1500 on parts for the new ones. Would likely have to wait several weeks for dealers to get the part even if I wanted to.

Before someone goes off about how my car is out of warranty and I shouldn't expect anything from BMW, this seems to be the exact same situation with 07-08 production years where BMW have performed a recall and I simply feel they should do the same with later years as well. The N54 has serious fuel issues that should be addressed, otherwise, customers are constantly giving money hand over fist to BMW for parts and labor only to encounter the problem in the future.

In short, they are profiting from their own bad design and I'm pissed. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Brutal. I had 3 go and as a known problem I suggested that they do all 6 to avoid another visit,loaner car etc. They said sorry. They (BMW not the dealer)felt it was better to inconvenience the customer one more time and maybe get him (me ) to pay for it if it happens outside warranty. I got lucky and car failed us just under warranty. It feels/sounds like its going to explode or shake apart until it clears itself. Mine is gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
as1241
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Corso View Post
They are listed on Tischer for $191.48 each

getbmwparts.com
Interesting. This all took place about two weeks ago, I called ECS and their rep said the first one they sold was 4 days ago. Anyway, looks like they're stocked now. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess the question becomes: If I can still get the old ones for half the price and let's say they will last for another 50k miles, what's the point?

Last edited by as1241; 02-07-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Damn thats some shady business practice on bimmers part.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

They have the old ones listed on the site as well, not sure if the injectors were phased out due to design defect or if a new process in making the injectors was introduced.

i.e. the holes on the valve seats for the N54 injectors were drilled with an ECM process while the N55 were done with a laser process. Not sure if this has changed.
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
AWil335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
I tried ECS and they were back ordered. I ordered from getbmwparts last weekend and my injector arrived today.

Appreciate 0