E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > suit suggestions

02-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
suit suggestions

I ordered a new karting suit (Alpinestars K-MX7), but since I'm 6'2" and about 160lbs, it doesn't fit right. The one that fits in the body is like a pair of floods, and the one that is long enough has room for a cute little brunette in there with me. Figure I'll probably have to have one custom made; and if I'm spending $250 (cost of the Alpinestars one), I may as well spend a bit more to get it right.

Alpinestars doesn't offer that, so I'm debating between Sparco or Impact Racing. Obviously Sparco is well known and the quality will be there, but it'll run $500 for a karting suit. A Nomex suit from them is up around a grand.
Impact Racing offers custom kart suits for $360 or so; Nomex for about $900.

Has anyone owned either brand? Thoughts? Comments?
I would like to take up open-wheel racing eventually, so part of me is thinking get the Nomex one now... but then again, to afford to compete in any type of Formula racing, I'd need sponsors and I could figure the suit into that budget.
      02-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I have a Sparco...but its for road racing not karting. I think it cost about discounted at about $750-800 when I got it about 4 years ago. It was custom made to my size..it was not off the rack. Its a little big on purpose. You dont want to be totally uncomfortable in it for those race days when it is 95 degrees out.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

nmulax.. what kind of kart you running? I'm just getting into TAG Karting. Have been offerred a 2006 Rotax engined TAG that has just been taken apart and rebuilt by the track owner where I live. It's his personal cart he raced in 8 races last year. He's asking $4500. I'm planning on buying it. What do you know about TAGs? In addition, I'll eventually need a suit. Like to know your thoughts on them. Thanks