E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede boost at gear change on auto

09-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #45
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: in the rain...cuz its Portland

+1 no long cranks, rev 2, dci, dps, fully catless, fmic, dv, and limp everytime near redline or aggressive WOT. However, I've limped even when I drove DS manual. I own a 2009 AT, 3000miles, brand new plugs as well...No limp in valet mode. BUT sometimes I don't limp...its like 70% chance of limp....going to dealership when I can. Will keep you guys posted -if you don't hear from me...im STILL limping.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #46
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parachute>Seatbelts View Post
+1 no long cranks, rev 2, dci, dps, fully catless, fmic, dv, and limp everytime near redline or aggressive WOT. However, I've limped even when I drove DS manual. I own a 2009 AT, 3000miles, brand new plugs as well...No limp in valet mode. BUT sometimes I don't limp...its like 70% chance of limp....going to dealership when I can. Will keep you guys posted -if you don't hear from me...im STILL limping.
I went to the dealer today and had my injectors checked. All injectors passed their respected tests. I'm going to work with stage 1 only and maybe lower the setting to say 50% and see what the car does. I've replaced a set of plugs, replaced the 1 coil on cyl 6 as well just to be sure and on my way home today, i had misfire going from 2nd to 3rd in DS mode car shifting.

Unless there's something really really wrong with my car, i'm running out of ideas.

How many auto's out there running procede and having no issues? If so, can you guys even shoot me a pm with what setting you guys are running, car revision (29.2 etc) and mods running.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #47
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

so an update with my car. I talked to Shiv (thank you again) and went back to the 7-29 map stage 1 75%UT 100%ign for testing purposes. Car is running great. No limps at redline anymore with this map. I switch over to the 9-9 stage 1 map 70%UT 100%ign and limp at shifts again..

It would be nice to know if any autos are running the new map without issues??

Just as a test, guys with autos having similar issues, could you guys try this as well and see if it resolves your issue? It would help narrow things down! Please note that you will need to update to the correct firmware to run the 7-29 map.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #48
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am going to try this right now. 7-29 map Stage 3 AT 100ign/ 0 upshiftsoft/ 85% ut. I recently went back to 7-29 maps but did not downgrade my firmware. I'll brb....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #49
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
so an update with my car. I talked to Shiv (thank you again) and went back to the 7-29 map stage 1 75%UT 100%ign for testing purposes. Car is running great. No limps at redline anymore with this map. I switch over to the 9-9 stage 1 map 70%UT 100%ign and limp at shifts again..

It would be nice to know if any autos are running the new map without issues??

Just as a test, guys with autos having similar issues, could you guys try this as well and see if it resolves your issue? It would help narrow things down! Please note that you will need to update to the correct firmware to run the 7-29 map.
Please remember that the 9-9 maps are beta maps. As mentioned when they were posted, they were developed on a 6MT but were found to work well on all the 6ATs we tested them on. But we did say that we will come out with 6AT specific versions of that map in time.

The difference between the 9-9 maps and the previous maps is that they hold more boost during the upshift which puts more load on the ignition system, making it more likely to misfire.

Just stick with the nonBeta maps for the time being if the beta maps are giving you a problem.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #50
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

No worries here Shiv. The maps run like crazy. My biggest concern was, was there something really wrong with my car or not. The bmw techs that put the new engine in did screw things up a bit so for a month and half, i had reserved bay at the dealership! I did kinda figure the beta part and it was more for a manual! If you need to test an auto map, you have my email!

I'm booking in my catless dp and exhaust install in tomorrow as well. You NEED to get the meth setup on the procede as well.. me wants!!
there are a 'few' cars i need to smoke here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Please remember that the 9-9 maps are beta maps. As mentioned when they were posted, they were developed on a 6MT but were found to work well on all the 6ATs we tested them on. But we did say that we will come out with 6AT specific versions of that map in time.

The difference between the 9-9 maps and the previous maps is that they hold more boost during the upshift which puts more load on the ignition system, making it more likely to misfire.

Just stick with the nonBeta maps for the time being if the beta maps are giving you a problem.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #51
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am going to try this right now. 7-29 map Stage 3 AT 100ign/ 0 upshiftsoft/ 85% ut. I recently went back to 7-29 maps but did not downgrade my firmware. I'll brb....
i'll be waiting to hear back
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #52
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

This is why I love having a stock car

Last edited by shawshank772; 12-22-2009 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #53
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Limped on the first try Settings were 7-29w/ appropriate FW: Stage 3 nonDD/All default except upshift softening 0. It's getting worst for me. Originally I would limp only in higher gears when I got toward 130mph; now I limp before I get to 100mph. Limps in both DS and manual - brand new plugs/oil..haven't tried swapping coils or checked on injectors yet. My car has only 3000 miles so...back to the drawing board. Should I try Stage 1 like you guys? Also I don't get engine malfunction light/half engine when I limp ever; I only get SES/CEL...rpms stall and car shakes. Car reset or long idle always resets the car - no long cranks either. Misfire on 6. Since my plugs are new, next step is coils, then injectors. Will keep you guys posted so I can finally post what psi I shift at with the new maps

Last edited by Parachute>Seatbelts; 09-29-2009 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #54
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Are you pressing kickdown button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank772 View Post
Mine is out since its in the shop but I have had a few problems. Stage 1
With UT set at just 40 and ignition set at 80 I still got a misfire. I run 93 octane Injen intake RR exhaust. However I hadent thrown Limp Mode yet.

I thought I would throw out a problem I have been having since this is an Auto thread. Has anyone experienced the Auto in M mode shifting early right after you shift it manually?. I.E I shift in M from 1st to 2nd at aprox 5000rpm, then a split second later the car shifts by itself (still in m mode) to 3rd. I know the car is no where near red line more around 3500rpm when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd (remember it still in M mode). This ONLY happens when I have a more aggressive map setting. I.E 70 UT and 80 Ignition correction. It has NEVER done this in valet mode/with the chip out. This isnt just a 9-9 beta map problem for me though. It has happened with the past 2 map versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #55
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Limped on the first try Settings were 7-29w/ appropriate FW: Stage 3 nonDD/All default except upshift softening 0. It's getting worst for me. Originally I would limp only in higher gears when I got toward 130mph; now I limp before I get to 100mph. Limps in both DS and manual - brand new plugs/oil..haven't tried swapping coils or checked on injectors yet. My car has only 3000 miles so...back to the drawing board. Should I try Stage 1 like you guys? Also I don't get engine malfunction light/half engine when I limp ever; I only get SES/CEL...rpms stall and car shakes. Car reset or long idle always resets the car - no long cranks either. Misfire on 6.
I would try stage 1 with defaults just to see what she does.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #56
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mine is out since its in the shop but I have had a few problems. Stage 1
With UT set at just 40 and ignition set at 80 I still got a misfire. I run 93 octane Injen intake RR exhaust. However I hadent thrown Limp Mode yet.

I thought I would throw out a problem I have been having since this is an Auto thread. Has anyone experienced the Auto in M mode shifting early right after you shift it manually?. I.E I shift in M from 1st to 2nd at aprox 5000rpm, then a split second later the car shifts by itself (still in m mode) to 3rd. I know the car is no where near red line more around 3500rpm when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd (remember it still in M mode). This ONLY happens when I have a more aggressive map setting. I.E 70 UT and 80 Ignition correction. It has NEVER done this in valet mode/with the chip out. This isnt just a 9-9 beta map problem for me though. It has happened with the past 2 map versions.
I let my brother-in-law drive while i was logging and he would do the same thing. He would shift and the car would shift so we'd go down 2 gears. I could never repeat it. It turned out that it was , in our case, user related. Since the car would rip through the 2nd gear fast, he figured he'd shift but he was never fast enough so he'd do a double change.

Maybe someone else can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #57
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Will do, I'll let you know results tomorrow. If all goes well and I don't limp - it is still a lose for me however, because it would defeat the purpose of my mods..to run stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #58
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah when I manual I try to shift at like 5500 or so or wherever the peak power for that gear is - getting near redline the DS will take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I let my brother-in-law drive while i was logging and he would do the same thing. He would shift and the car would shift so we'd go down 2 gears. I could never repeat it. It turned out that it was , in our case, user related. Since the car would rip through the 2nd gear fast, he figured he'd shift but he was never fast enough so he'd do a double change.

Maybe someone else can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #59
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Will do, I'll let you know results tomorrow. If all goes well and I don't limp - it is still a lose for me however, because it would defeat the purpose of my mods..to run stage 3
No worries man! I know the feeling. I'm going to be running all the bolt-ons by next week as well. Have faith in the Shiv!

Lets just see if this solves your problem first!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #60
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah when I manual I try to shift at like 5500 or so or wherever the peak power for that gear is - getting near redline the DS will take over.
Just curious, what are you running for mods?

i'm running Stett FMIC/ Stett CAI/ OCC/ Forge DV/ Oil Cooler
this week- VK catless dp/ CP-E exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:04 AM   #61
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Injen DCI, AR Catless DPs, Forge DVs, HKS Catless Exhaust, AA FMIC...and brainfreeze..think thats it Oh yeah, AR add-on oil cooler/Mckinney OCC/ Stett CP

Now that you mention mods...wonder if my 15lb braille battery can cause limps...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:06 AM   #62
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Injen DCI, AR Catless DPs, Forge DVs, HKS Catless Exhaust, AA FMIC...and brainfreeze..think thats it
Cool, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you by next week! Hopefully this will all get sorted soon! Let me know how your car makes out tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #63
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

For sure, to be honest with you - I really wish it is as simple as HPFP. It's a time bomb and I just want to blame it off the bat...everytime i limp i yell "fu*king fuel pump"...i don't even care if im wrong. anyways tmr lol (when the roads are clear)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #64
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:

Has anyone experienced the Auto in M mode shifting early right after you shift it manually?. I.E I shift in M from 1st to 2nd at aprox 5000rpm, then a split second later the car shifts by itself (still in m mode) to 3rd.
I used to get this double shifting symptom where the car seems to decide to shift just after I do a manual paddle shift.

I think it's just a quirk in the shifting logic when you have a tune because rpms are building more quickly.

The tranny just seems to take over even though you are in manual mode.

I haven't experienced this in quite a while, but then again....I am shifting well before redline now, so I think it's related to how close you hold your shift to redline.

The tach is not that accurate and lags behind a bit......so the engine probably hits redline before the tach registers, and then the auto tranny logic does the shift at about the same time you do and next thing you know...you are in 3rd instead of 2nd.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #65
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post

Shiv
Shiv....these 9-09 maps are sooooooooo good that I will live with this issue.

It's easily overcome by using the paddle shifters and short-shifting before getting too close to redline.

Honestly....I just love the feel of these maps that much!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #66
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Shiv....these 9-09 maps are sooooooooo good that I will live with this issue.

It's easily overcome by using the paddle shifters and short-shifting before getting too close to redline.

Honestly....I just love the feel of these maps that much!
I know what you're saying. I was out driving my car today with the 7-29 maps and no limp issues at all on shift so i can honestly say its not the car! On the other hand, was out thinking, i liked those 9-9 maps better It just felt soo much more natural.

I would however recommend you try the 7-29 map to see if it resolves your misfire issue though just to be sure it's not the car!!

Now that I know there's going to be an auto map, i'm just going to manage with the 9-9 maps and manual shift myself for now.

SHIV, I know you were up late! On with these maps..
Appreciate 0