Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pothole incident

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Pothole incident

I was driving last night and hit a pothole in the road going about 40-45mph. I am on 19" CSL exclusive reps and immediately my TPMS said the left front tire was low. I pulled to a side street and saw that my left front tire was flat but the rim itself didnt look obviously bent. I used BMW assist and got AAA to flatbed the car to a AAA garage until tomorrow morning when my local BMW dealer is open and then they will tow it there in the morning. The big question I have is would BMW even carry a 19" tire like this (235/30/19) being that I don't have the stock wheels on the car anymore? I got the tires at Discount Tire Co and got the wheels mounted there back in November. I really also hope I don't have a bent wheel but I guess I won't know till the earliest tomorrow. Anyone have any experiences with hitting a pothole with an aftermarket 19" wheel on this car? THanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I've had the opposite experience 3X....hit a pothole, knew it was hard, and each time I went to look at the rim, the lip was bent. Amazing how much energy goes through the sidewall and damages the rim. 2/3 times the tire would never lose air, 1/3 time it developed a slow leak. I finally got the message at least for me and where I live, it's not worth it to have aftermarket rims. I just hated having to buy them 1 at a time to replace, and my friend who tried the rim repair service said it cosmetically made the rim look better, but it still leaked after the repair. The rims look great, but it's just too much hassle. FYI the above was not on the 335, which has OEM and the tire protection package...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440xi GC AW/CR

All I have are the 17" rims that come with the sport package. After hitting a couple of potholes, I can already feel the steering wheel shake when driving at speeds > 40 mph
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
DSXMachina
If I don't get reincarnated I'm screwed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, 6MT, TiAg, Walnut, Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWalltheway View Post
All I have are the 17" rims that come with the sport package. After hitting a couple of potholes, I can already feel the steering wheel shake when driving at speeds > 40 mph
Have you thought about having your wheels checked for balance? Sure they could be bent but you'd feel that at lower speeds than 40.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Call up the Georgia odot. I had a similar situation happen to me, but in a construction site. I called the Ohio odot and if it would have been a non-construction site they would have paid the damages but since it was a construction site they forwarded me to them and they paid. In the end someone paid and it sure wasn't me.

Give it a try. The worst that can happen is they say no.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Have you thought about having your wheels checked for balance? Sure they could be bent but you'd feel that at lower speeds than 40.

I hit a large pothole in New Jersey which cased a bubble in the right front tire. Had to replace it. The rim looked OK but when the wheel and tire were placed on the balance machine the wheel was out of true. You could see it wobble. I had to to replace the rim as well. I drove the car for a few days with the bent rim. It drove OK, I could not feel the wobble but the garage told me that the tire would wear out quickly if I left it that way.

Total cost was about $600 for the rim and tire. The tire insurance (Autoclub/Paragon) paid the max of $350. Even though they supposedly are no longer offering th policy in New York State I have received no notice of cancellation and the check arrived within a week of the date I faxed in my claim.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I have the 18" CSLs (velocity racing)and hit something big (a piece of wood I think) a few weeks ago with both left-side wheels. It put a hole in my rear Yokahama. It didn't bend the rim. I hit the piece of wood at 60 MPH, knocked the crap out of the car. New tire on the rear (it couldn't be patched), and I was good to go.

If you check the wheels for bending, make sure to look at the inside rim too. A lot of wheels will bend on the inside but not the outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

you can sue the city for pothole damages, they are supposed to maintain the roads
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Clem
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

My pothole story......

A couple weeks back I was cruisng about 70 on a stretch of smooth highway when, BAM!, drivers side hit a hole so hard that it scared the chit out my GF and I. I was sure that both my stock 18" wheels were toast and waited for the low tire pressure warning light to come on. It didn't.

I then noticed that my drivers side headlight was shining up into the trees. The impact had dislocated my headlight! I took it in, said nothing about the incident and it was replace under warranty.

Both of the wheels have black marks from where the sidewall compressed and rubbed off but don't appear to be damaged. Close call, big time.

Seems to ride OK but I sense a rythmic humming/light vibe at about 70, though I might be imagining that.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
greentea335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i w/ SSTT

i jus hit a pothole last night goin around the same speed. it made loud banging noise i still have to go out n check my rims.. no tire pressure lights came on.. but ym steering wheel was kinda shaky when i was driving back home on the freeway..
it could be the weather(RAIN) i duno.
fuk i hate unavoidable potholes
especially under the rain u cant see good
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440xi GC AW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
Get your wheels rebalanced.
You think rebalancing will fix the vibration in the steering? Do I have to check for bent rims as well? I did a visual inspection of the tires and they looked ok to me.

It seems that these cars are unusually loud when you hit a pothole. It scared the $hit out of my wife when the passenger side wheels ran over a pothole. We are used to the soft ride of an Acura (my previous car) and that car ran over potholes so smoothly. Never felt a thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Jobu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 911 Carrera S

Garage List
2006 911 Carrera S  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 530i  [0.00]
Bubbled two left front stock 18's" in less than 5k miles in NJ/NY. Love the look of 19's but wouldn't use them with the roads around here.
2003 E39 530i - Auto - Black Sapphire on Black
Gone: 2001 325Ci - 5MT- TopazBlue/Black Trackday Count: 10
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

after any of such pothole incidents take your time and bring your car to a tire shop for inspection and rebalancing. Happened to me a few times that the tire was hit or the rim was bent or none of this, just a balancing weight flew off the rim after the impact and the whole wheel was out of balance and the steering wheel was shaking.

Also my friend hit a pothole and seen no visible damage and soon after he got his wheel destroyed on the highway at higher speed. Luckily nothing happened to him or his car, but later investigation had shown a rim/tire damage on the inside he could not notice, which caused the whole wheel to destroy later at high speed. Not cool. Being lazy could kill him.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

none of you have had the experience of hitting a pothole and having your side airbag curtains go off!!! this happened twice in my e46. to make it even more bizarre, after the first incident, I get a letter a day before from BMWNA saying that there's a non-mandatory recall on airbag sensitivity being set too low from the factory pissed me off even more, although when I complained to BMWNA, they gave me $600 for pain/suffering.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Well Global Imports (The local dealership by me in ATL) just finished my car, they got a new Pilot Sport tire on the wheel and said that the wheel was in spec when they balanced it and that there was a very small dent on the inside of the wheel but that it balanced fine and should be ok. The cost? $501. I got up to about 50 mph with no noticable vibration or noise whatsoever. I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't leaking air......
Appreciate 0