E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dubious marketing technique from BMW...

10-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Dubious marketing technique from BMW...

So my BMW mag dropped through the door with an insert AND a full page ad pushing sets of winter wheels and tyres.

So they are turning BMWs cars dreadful reputation in snow/ice (and even damp grass) into an opportunity to sell wheel and tyre sets to their hapless customers at a rather steep price.

I'll stick to using the 4x4 if it snows again!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I see it as educating people that using high performance summer tyres in winter is not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I see it as educating people that using high performance summer tyres in winter is not a good idea.
Agreed.

I really should get a set TBH.

Last edited by toxicnerve; 10-06-2010 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

Noticed the article mentions; "being introduced to the UK" which means they must have been doing this for a few years already on the continent.

In theory it is a good idea; for example I have nowhere to keep spare sets of wheels and tyres and it's one I mentioned here ages back.

Just need a large non dealer franchise like ATS to under cut them I think. Plus am not going near a BMW dealer again if I can help it...........
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
Noticed the article mentions; "being introduced to the UK" which means they must have been doing this for a few years already on the continent.

In theory it is a good idea; for example I have nowhere to keep spare sets of wheels and tyres and it's one I mentioned here ages back.

Just need a large non dealer franchise like ATS to under cut them I think. Plus am not going near a BMW dealer again if I can help it...........
Most people around the world which live in areas with snow and ice in the Winter will already have a second set of wheels and tyres for their daily driver. Nothing new.

The parts list for my 1980 Porsche 924 shows a Winter wheel set up available back then. I drove it home in snow last year. Was just as if not more frightening to drive with no ABS or traction/stability control, especially with its on/off turbo boost!!

UK rear wheel drive owners have just had a wake up call with last years snow and ice. Summer performance (runflat) tyres do not work in the Winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
So my BMW mag dropped through the door with an insert AND a full page ad pushing sets of winter wheels and tyres.

So they are turning BMWs cars dreadful reputation in snow/ice (and even damp grass) into an opportunity to sell wheel and tyre sets to their hapless customers at a rather steep price.

I'll stick to using the 4x4 if it snows again!
The Winter Tyres are NON-RUNFLATS (as are those currently on offer @ Sytners on this forum).

So what happened to "your car's suspension and braking are designed for run flat tyres only, fitting of non-runflats will compromise the performance of your car sir" and the " fitting of non runflats will invalidate your warranty" statements issued by BMW UK and it's dealers !

Make your mind up BMW, you can't have it both ways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Vid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post

Of course they can, they are BMW don't you know, as long as it involves you parting with more cash!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
The Winter Tyres are NON-RUNFLATS (as are those currently on offer @ Sytners on this forum).

So what happened to "your car's suspension and braking are designed for run flat tyres only, fitting of non-runflats will compromise the performance of your car sir" and the " fitting of non runflats will invalidate your warranty" statements issued by BMW UK and it's dealers !

To clarify; as long as you have approved wheels on the car, with the approved tyres for that wheel, you'll be fine.

A customer can certainly fit the BMW non run flat winter wheel set (rims & tyres) onto their vehicle, provided that it has been approved for use on their specific vehicle.

*edited

Last edited by Anneka @ Sytner; 10-06-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Common sense and law dictates everyone on the continent has to use winter tyres, not just BMW, but everyone.

The Germans (and other EU nations) use the simplest law, rather than dictating the use of winter tyres they just say that "appropriate tyres must be used at all times".

This means summer tyres effectively become illegal if used below 7degc or in snow ice etc. thus you'll get fined and have void insurance if caught. But its generally accepted that clock change to clock change is the best time to use winters - even in the UK our average temp is below 7degc for most of that time. especially dark early mornings and evening when most of us are on the road.

They leave it up to the motorist - responsibility for your own actions? ever heard of that? - which of course in the UK would mean no one taking any notice at all then bleating at the state for not telling them what to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
ianmandlindaf
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325d M Sport + DMS

If however a customer fits non run flat tyres (be they winter/summer) to a run flat rim, this wouldn't be approved and may invalidate your warranty.[/QUOTE]

So if my engine lets go with my non run flat tyres and non BMW approved wheels, my warranty is invalid?

That is another reason why my next car won't be a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmandlindaf View Post
So if my engine lets go with my non run flat tyres and non BMW approved wheels, my warranty is invalid?

That is another reason why my next car won't be a BMW.
Sorry I may have caused confusion there, what I mean is that it could potentially effect warranty on issues related to that component.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmandlindaf View Post
If however a customer fits non run flat tyres (be they winter/summer) to a run flat rim, this wouldn't be approved and may invalidate your warranty.
No.

A run flat tyre HAS to go on a runflat rim (well actually modern runflats can go on any rim now)

A normal tyre can go on any rim ne it a runflat rim or not. (older run flat rims only have a higher inner bead lip to stop the bead coming off when deflated. Modern RFTs don't even need this anymore). There is no other difference to a run flat rim.

Even ES models come without runflats, but the car and wheels are the same as any other 3 series.

Same for 5ers with or without runflats - the car is the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Common sense and law dictates everyone on the continent has to use winter tyres, not just BMW, but everyone.

The Germans (and other EU nations) use the simplest law, rather than dictating the use of winter tyres they just say that "appropriate tyres must be used at all times".

This means summer tyres effectively become illegal if used below 7degc or in snow ice etc. thus you'll get fined and have void insurance if caught. But its generally accepted that clock change to clock change is the best time to use winters - even in the UK our average temp is below 7degc for most of that time. especially dark early mornings and evening when most of us are on the road.

They leave it up to the motorist - responsibility for your own actions? ever heard of that? - which of course in the UK would mean no one taking any notice at all then bleating at the state for not telling them what to do.
Hi

Sorry my point was about the 'logistics' of doing the tyre/wheel changes themselves rather than the principle which I am well aware of.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
Most people around the world which live in areas with snow and ice in the Winter will already have a second set of wheels and tyres for their daily driver. Nothing new.

The parts list for my 1980 Porsche 924 shows a Winter wheel set up available back then. I drove it home in snow last year. Was just as if not more frightening to drive with no ABS or traction/stability control, especially with its on/off turbo boost!!

UK rear wheel drive owners have just had a wake up call with last years snow and ice. Summer performance (runflat) tyres do not work in the Winter.

Hi

Sorry my point was about the 'logistics' of doing the tyre/wheel changes themselves rather than the principle which I am well aware of.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
Freethy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i M Sport

I know the risks. If it snows, then i'll work from home
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:

Strange - I got a set from our BMW Dealer for our 130i and they are Goodyear Runflats. To be honest £1300 for 4 x 17" alloys plus fitted winter tyres was very good. I couldn't find a better deal on the internet with the exception of tracking down a set of 2nd hand wheels.

People are just cottoning on to the fact that 'normal' modern tyres are optimized to work above 7 degrees and below that temperature the compound goes off. Being ex-forces and having lived in Germany for some time where it is the 'norm' to have a set of winter boots I'm surprised the UK has taken so long to 'get with the programme'. I don't think it's that BMWs are particularly 'bad' in the snow, rear wheel drive was always worse then front wheel drive. What has changed is that tyres are now much wider - irrespective of tread etc, narrow tyres work far better in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
To be fair I think they are trying to educate people about the facts surrounding summer tyres and cooler temperatures/shite driving conditions.

I remember summer RFT's on my 335d on a cold winters morning around 7.30am on a stone chipped surface........hard as hell and noisy!! Drove ok though.

Both Audis I've now owned state winter tyre pressures for winter tyres on the sticker on the door and the handbooks refer to fitting winter tyres. Presumably an extension of northern europe and what they do there?

I won't be changing to winter tyres though.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
doughboy
Major General
Rep

+1 (partly) beemerbird..

We all want people to be educated to the benefits of winter tyres, so maybe we shouldn't shoot the messenger even if BMW are trying to make a few quid.

If you run high performance summer tyres like ours do, a set of winter tyres should be an accepted cost/part of motoring as it is elsewhere, as summer tyres get more and more extreme something has to give. High Performance Summer tyre development is of course steered by the assumption that no one would be stupid enough to use them in winter!!!

I might rave on about them, but to me they make without question the most amazing and complete transformation in the cars cold / wet weather handling that you could imagine. In fact more than you could ever imagine. You won't believe how crap your summers are until you try winters. I'd used them in Europe on rentals skiing etc in the snow etc, but never on a quick car like the 335 and in our wetter UK climate.

The way they gripin the cold/greasy/wet is truly unbelievable - i would feel irresponsible driving a performance car without them now.

Over time you just become used to that vague, jittery, slippy sliddy winter feeling with early ABS action and lots of traction control, which will only get worse as summer rubber gets more extreme and less wet/cold friendly.

Don't mention 4wd either, as that's only any use accelerating - no help under braking!!

For me it has turned 3 or 4 months of the year that were always a chore driving into a pleasure. Fun all year round!!

Roll on clock change - get them winters on

Last edited by doughboy; 10-06-2010 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi

Cheers
Sorry back!

Yep you're right, in Europe the tyre shops keep your wheels in storage for you for a small charge, if you need them to, then you roll up and get them swapped over twice a year. This is ideal for non-mechanically minded people, or those without a garage etc. (or who cant be bothered )

But that's in europe where sales of summer versus winter tyres are an equal 50/50 split.

Here it must be well under 1%, so Kwik fit etc will need a lot more sales before they take that up.

Last edited by doughboy; 10-06-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
Vid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-sport

I would definitely prefer to own a set of winter tyres, purely from a safety perspective, but can't afford to really (I know that lines me up to questioning like 'can you afford to have an accident') but it is just additional expense I could do without.

I agree with the above, that if it snows, I would be inclined to work from home instead rather than risk an accident.

Last time it snowed heavy, I had the luxury of 4wd, and smiled to myself at the struggling BMW drivers in the street. I won't be smiling next time though!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
+1 (partly) beemerbird..
Ha, ha. Knew you'd say that.

You rave Mike.........never

I've read what you typed at least.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Ha, ha. Knew you'd say that.

You rave Mike.........never
I'd send you some facebook links to my 1990 raving days - but in the interests of public decency i'd better not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Last time it snowed heavy, I had the luxury of 4wd, and smiled to myself at the struggling BMW drivers in the street. I won't be smiling next time though!!
or in my case "Last time it snowed, I had the luxury of winter tyres, and smiled to myself at the struggling 4WD car/SUV owners on summer tyres stuck in the street"

A4 quattro, X5 etc all floundering on their super wide summer slicks....
Appreciate 0