E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMWhat Rocks- My mini review

03-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #45
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

+1 for Parvis being responsive -- but not especially helpful. I laid out $58 for the Android version only to learn that my BT adapter did not work. I asked Parvis for guidance only to get an email that strongly implied that only their BT adapter would work. Amazon shows 118 BT adapters for and NONE of them work with BMWhat? Come on.
      03-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #46
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't know if Parvis changed his policy but he never said to me that the others adapters in the market don't work with his app. He only said that there is several faulty and cheap products in the market and to make sure that customers can run his program at full capacity, he is offering his own adapter at a very competitive price.

Previous members confirmed that his adaptor works with other apps, so i rather buy the his adaptor at €18, even if i don't use his app, and have a working device.
      03-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #47
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
i rather buy the his adaptor at €18, even if i don't use his app, and have a working device.
Right and that is your choice. But there are hundreds of adapters on the market that are more available to me, a U.S. resident, and making money by withholding information about which adapters work is not acceptable, especially when the need to buy an additional adapter is not disclosed at the time of purchase.
      03-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #48
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah and the parvis adapter is mid grade if you look at it on amazon. Many more elm 327 protocol adapters seem higher quality than parvis'
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:39 AM   #49
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
As i already stated. This was the full version. Go back and read.
Maybe you should read my previous post too. As I said you just need to press the "Send Report" button in the full version here.

Pressing this button gets you the fault report in the full version so you can send it anywhere as an attachment to an email. There is no need to send any log with the full version as you have been stating wrongly repeatedly. So hopefully it's clear now and you stop arguing this wrong statement of yours.

We have been using the app for a long time now from the early days when it only had the diagnosis feature - and that worked with practically all adapters we have tried. Some better some worse.
Over time they added many new features to the app (FOR FREE) like many new codings for new ECUs. On Android they added the engine parameters - also for free!
Now they are planning to add DPF features where we are participating as test users again.
For the new free features that were added to the app many adapters are just not capable of supporting the required advanced communication functions they require to provide the new app features.

So what is the problem here? We have been using the app and all the functions before with any adapter - now they are adding new advanced features for free to app.

Should they stop providing the new free app features simply because not all adapters support the required functions?

Last edited by BlueBill; 03-22-2014 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #50
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill View Post
Maybe you should read my previous post too. As I said you just need to press the "Send Report" button in the full version here.

Pressing this button gets you the fault report in the full version so you can send it anywhere as an attachment to an email. There is no need to send any log with the full version as you have been stating wrongly repeatedly. So hopefully it's clear now and you stop arguing this wrong statement of yours.

Should they stop providing the new free app features simply because not all adapters support the required functions?
Wow dude, you are one argumentative SoB!

Just to humor you though, I just went to my vehicle to confirm that I am in fact correct.

When you press the "send report" button it does exactly as I say, it generates an encrypted .txt attachment which then must be sent to Parvis for decoding.

Just to be clear, you can see that this was generated in the full version ("FV"), since you can apparently read klingon or the matrix, why don't you decode this for me Neo.

Oh and to answer your final question: I already suggest EXACTLY what they should do, in detail.

Edit. This has been fixed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #51
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Parvis can you post a list of OBDII adapters that will work other than the one you guys are selling?

Just looking at Amazon I see offerings from Lyle, Vgate, BAFX, hhobd, Scantool, gadgetzone, Tabstore, etc. I'm sure at least one of these works with BMWhat. Thanks
      04-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #52
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

From what I have read most of the ELM327 dongles sold on ebay or amazon are clones of the real thing. So it is a toss up whether it will work or not. The genuine IC alone goes for over $20. In fact, it would be nice to know if the BT adapter that iViNi offers is genuine, doubt that, not at that price, probably a good quality one though. With all the clones, I suppose it depends on what version was copied, if it the latest ELM327 1.4b then it may be ok (latest is actually 2.1, but I doubt they would have copied it that fast). And ELM327 v1.5 is really just clones' reference to may be a v1.3a or v1.4b clone from ELM327, but it's a guess which one. To me, I would like to get a nice quality one with a sleep mode, etc. But I am not sure if it will work with BMWhat. Can anyone confirm that one from Scantool.net is compatible:
http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-lx.html
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #53
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
From what I have read most of the ELM327 dongles sold on ebay or amazon are clones of the real thing. So it is a toss up whether it will work or not. The genuine IC alone goes for over $20. In fact, it would be nice to know if the BT adapter that iViNi offers is genuine, doubt that, not at that price, probably a good quality one though. With all the clones, I suppose it depends on what version was copied, if it the latest ELM327 1.4b then it may be ok (latest is actually 2.1, but I doubt they would have copied it that fast). And ELM327 v1.5 is really just clones' reference to may be a v1.3a or v1.4b clone from ELM327, but it's a guess which one. To me, I would like to get a nice quality one with a sleep mode, etc. But I am not sure if it will work with BMWhat. Can anyone confirm that one from Scantool.net is compatible:
http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-lx.html
Cheers.
The ELM327 will work fine with the App for Coding + Diagnostics. However, the parameters monitoring feature will be locked out. It can only be validated with a BMWhat module. Validation works also over the internet connection.

I own an ELM327 and also ended up buying a BMWhat module for $40. I have to say, it is actually a nice module, and it sits flush in the OBDII port, so my foot does not accidentally hit it when I get out of the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #54
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
The ELM327 will work fine with the App for Coding + Diagnostics. However, the parameters monitoring feature will be locked out. It can only be validated with a BMWhat module. Validation works also over the internet connection.

I own an ELM327 and also ended up buying a BMWhat module for $40. I have to say, it is actually a nice module, and it sits flush in the OBDII port, so my foot does not accidentally hit it when I get out of the car!
Just got their recommended wifi adapter ( I'm iPhone). It's huge! 1.33x longer, 2x thicker, and 1.25x wider. Can't wait to try it out after dinner. Glad I baught a 1m low profile flex cable with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #55
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Not sure what you bought, but here is a pic for comparison. I'm running on Android.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #56
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Not sure what you bought, but here is a pic for comparison. I'm running on Android.
I was expecting something like the white adapter in your pic. What I got was probably the size of the black adapter in your pic. It works (plug it in, find the network, gogogo). I"ll just have to figure out how to get used to it being there or attached to the extension cable.

I opted for a less expensive app to try first. If that works out well and I get the "OK" from the developer regarding the log file from the lite version, ill splurge on the full bmwhat version. It is really hard for me to shell out $50 for an app. I've never bought anything more expensive than a few songs at a time.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #57
328bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 08 328i

im very new to this app but it looks like it can code some pretty cool features. i was just looking to make my AE's my drl and i believe this app can make this possible. Do you have to leave the adapter in all the time of just when you are coding or running your diagnostics?? im iphone by the way, if it matters, app looks pretty cool..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 02:40 AM   #58
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328bimmer View Post
im very new to this app but it looks like it can code some pretty cool features. i was just looking to make my AE's my drl and i believe this app can make this possible. Do you have to leave the adapter in all the time of just when you are coding or running your diagnostics?? im iphone by the way, if it matters, app looks pretty cool..
I take the adapter out every time i shut off the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #59
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The adapter only needs to be plugged in while coding or checking/clearing codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #60
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Well, it took 24 days, but the special dongle showed up. It linked with the app and was able to view parameters.

However, when I tried to go to "dashboard" view the gauges didn't work. Is there something special that needs to be done to make the gauge display work?

Also, I tried logging the parameters and emailing the file to myself to see the data. It's encrypted. That's troubling...

So... comparing to my normal "go too" Torque app, which the gauges work correctly without any fussing around and the data logs are not encrypted, I'm not sure I like this app.

If anyone can enlighten me on how to get the gauges on the dashboard to work properly and how to get the data logs in real time in a non-encrypted format, I'd appreciate learning how...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #61
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
TDI, you need to add values into each parameter.

As an example, for oil temperature you can put 0 for a minimum and whatever else for a maximum value.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #62
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Well, it took 24 days, but the special dongle showed up. It linked with the app and was able to view parameters.

However, when I tried to go to "dashboard" view the gauges didn't work. Is there something special that needs to be done to make the gauge display work?

Also, I tried logging the parameters and emailing the file to myself to see the data. It's encrypted. That's troubling...

So... comparing to my normal "go too" Torque app, which the gauges work correctly without any fussing around and the data logs are not encrypted, I'm not sure I like this app.

If anyone can enlighten me on how to get the gauges on the dashboard to work properly and how to get the data logs in real time in a non-encrypted format, I'd appreciate learning how...
TDI if you are using the free version the file will be encrypted. If you buy the full app it will not be encrypted (at least that's how it was on the iPhone version). I sure wish gauges and data logging worked on the iPhone version.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #63
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If your car dont have AE as drl from factory then it wont work. It use a different module and has nothing to do with coding.

Despite the bluetooth connections allows to read the ecu, with some cars you need the cable to write it. I bought both just in case... too cheap compared to shops prices to read and clear codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #64
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
TDI, you need to add values into each parameter.

As an example, for oil temperature you can put 0 for a minimum and whatever else for a maximum value.
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #65
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_38 View Post
TDI if you are using the free version the file will be encrypted. If you buy the full app it will not be encrypted (at least that's how it was on the iPhone version). I sure wish gauges and data logging worked on the iPhone version.
I paid for the full version. Can others confirm with the Android version whether the data log is encrypted or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #66
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I paid for the full version. Can others confirm with the Android version whether the data log is encrypted or not?
Operator error on my part... wasn't looking at the correct file.
Appreciate 0