E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Outer CV Joint 328i xDrive LCI 2009

03-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #1
RufNutt
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive LCI

Outer CV Joint 328i xDrive LCI 2009

Hi ,

I was able to break down the rear half shaft to clean up inner joint on my 328i xdrive LCI and put on a new inner boot but the outer boot is giving me an issue.

I don't want to just do the inner joint while I am in there.

I can't figure out how to get outer cv joint apart to clean , inspect and add grease before new boot.

I have the boot off and can't see a snap ring to take out with pliers prior to disassembly , like on the inner end

I can't see a clip of any sort , so I am wondering do you just hit the cv joint from the backside of the joint to release it off the shaft.

Does it have a c-clip on the end of the outer cv joint like on the end of the axle before it goes into the differential?

is the clip different on the end of the outer cv joint?

I know the inner had a snap ring I could access after separating the boot covers.

Maybe the outer cv is not able to come apart to clean and inspect properly

Thanks for any info folks

CHEERS

Rufnut
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
RufNutt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufNutt View Post
Hi ,

I was able to break down the rear half shaft to clean up inner joint on my 328i xdrive LCI and put on a new inner boot but the outer boot is giving me an issue.

I don't want to just do the inner joint while I am in there.

I can't figure out how to get outer cv joint apart to clean , inspect and add grease before new boot.

I have the boot off and can't see a snap ring to take out with pliers prior to disassembly , like on the inner end

I can't see a clip of any sort , so I am wondering do you just hit the cv joint from the backside of the joint to release it off the shaft.

Does it have a c-clip on the end of the outer cv joint like on the end of the axle before it goes into the differential?

is the clip different on the end of the outer cv joint?

I know the inner had a snap ring I could access after separating the boot covers.

Maybe the outer cv is not able to come apart to clean and inspect properly

Thanks for any info folks

CHEERS

Rufnut
Well I was hoping by now that someone would have figured out a better way to inspect these rear outer joints other then put them in a 5 gallon pail with a solvent, that is old school lol and I knew that .

Thanks anyhow
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

The sheet metal cover between the spline/spindle/cup section and the boot is crimped into place around the cup. Removal is destructive. The sheet metal cone is designed to limit the movement of the CV joint so the balls don't fall out of place when handling outside the car.

Once the sheet metal portion of the boot is off the CV joint just falls apart when bent about 30deg. Unfortunately there is no practical way to reinstall a boot because the sheet metal is crimped.

e.g. sloshing it in a bucket of thinner is usually the recommended way to clean them.

If you can find a universal boot that fits the axle shaft and the cup it can be reassembled. Just be super careful when handling because the CV joint balls pop out if you flex it too far. Once it's in the car the suspension limits motion so it won't fall apart.

Sorry I don't check the forums every three hours. I'll try to be more attentive to your needs in the future.

Last edited by Brian86; 03-04-2022 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: snark
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
RufNutt
Rep

Thanks for the reply , sorry if you took me as demanding, I know people have other lives . My point was after reading for most of the winter that it could not come apart . I was hoping someone might have found a miracle work around LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
The sheet metal cover between the spline/spindle/cup section and the boot is crimped into place around the cup. Removal is destructive. The sheet metal cone is designed to limit the movement of the CV joint so the balls don't fall out of place when handling outside the car.

Once the sheet metal portion of the boot is off the CV joint just falls apart when bent about 30deg. Unfortunately there is no practical way to reinstall a boot because the sheet metal is crimped.

e.g. sloshing it in a bucket of thinner is usually the recommended way to clean them.

If you can find a universal boot that fits the axle shaft and the cup it can be reassembled. Just be super careful when handling because the CV joint balls pop out if you flex it too far. Once it's in the car the suspension limits motion so it won't fall apart.

Sorry I don't check the forums every three hours. I'll try to be more attentive to your needs in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

From a practical standpoint... the CV joints on these cars are very very robust.

Personally I wouldn't try to flush it out. The thinner breaks down the grease, but without fully cleaning it leaves lubricant that has been degraded by the thinner inside the joint.

I'd just pack some additional grease in, put new boots on and call it a day. I'd only disassemble and clean fully if it was a track car or had a bunch of extra horsepower & tire.