Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Annoying problem - wheels keep sticking to hub. Any creative fixes?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Annoying problem - wheels keep sticking to hub. Any creative fixes?

Greetings team.

With the weather seeming to improve I just got my snow tires/wheels off last night to get summers on.

This has happened before but the Sport Edition rims were stuck to the hub center and needed a lot of coaxing/cajoling to get out. All four sides, although the rears were a little easier.

This happens with my stock OEM rims as well but those rims have a notch on the rear face which makes things easier.

I believe the rims center on the hub, so it's sticking around the perimeter of the hub center (not so much the rotor hat). Clearly it's a matter of GD&T and both my sets of rims seem to have to be on the tighter end of the tolerance spectrum.

I take care to clean all the mating surfaces before putting them together each time. I've also tried some of the copper-ish anti-sieze, and that's not doing a whole lot of good.

Questions for the group here:
1. Do others have the same issue? If so, what's your trick to avoid the sticking?

2. If you still keep enountering the sticking, what's your trick to work the wheels off? I leave a couple bolts on each wheel, about 2-3 turns from the tightened position, jack up each side of the car and let the car drop on the wheels with a controlled impact. It can take several passes before the rim gradually works out enough to wedge it out (I take care not to cause any damage to the suspension, rims, rotor or hub when I do this).

I should have taken pics to make it more clear to peeople reading this, which I will try to do soon.

Thanks!
      04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
AlpinWeiss
Rep
Drives: E90 328i xDrive

When you change out your wheels or take them off for any reason, scrub the bore with a metal brush to remove any rust that builds up. Then put some lube on the hub so that your wheel will not be stuck on there next time when you take it off. I had this issue last year with my summers and was stuck in the cold trying to swap out wheels in front of storage. Totally sucks. Remove any rust and grease the hub and you should be alot better off.

daily: E90 LCI 328i #AWE90
track toy: E36 M3 #bcRCR
instagram: omgwtfxbbq
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I use anti-seize.

04-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Another vote for Anti-Seize
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

best way I've found to get stuck wheels off is to have the wheel jacked up just so it is off the ground (1/2" or so) then take a 2x4 and slide/swing it along the ground (under the car) - hitting the inside of the tire (side facing the wheel well). Give it a few knocks and rotate tire (if front tire) and repeat until it comes loose.

I will usually have another piece of wood butted up against the inside of the tire and rim so that the piece being swung is hitting the piece against the tire. Helps distribute the impact.

Make sure you still have one lug nut on loosely or wheel may get away from you.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Clean the rust off the hub/face of the rotor really well and then apply anti seize liberally.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

Whenever mine are stuck on i just give it a nice swift kick to the bottom and top of the wheel and it comes right off.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

^ Ya. I should have prefaced my technique with: if a good kick or 2 doesn't do it, then proceed with the following.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi, 2006 330xi, 2011x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I use anti-seize.

And also keep a can of pb blaster around if it still sticks.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
grafiksguy
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix

This happens with alloys and the cast iron hubs because of a metallurgic reaction between the different metals. Anything you can do to "separate" them will help, like coating with anti-seize. I also believe that Bav Auto sells very thin composite fiber spacers that you put between the wheel and hub which eliminates the problem. I've found spraying the back of the wheel with a silicone spray helps some. Durability of the solution depends on how much wet weather the wheels have to endure. Another solution is to paint the center of the hub. Centric rotors come this way and it all but eliminates the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I use anti-seize.

Mine's some other brand and copper anti-seize. I didn't know about the stuff until the first time I went to changeover to my new snows--all 4 rims were stuck. With this stuff, never any problems changing over. To borrow that expression, like buttah.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
haajehaa
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 LCI M-Sport

Don't use copper based anti-seize where there's aluminum. Makes the aluminum corrode like crazy!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

I would almost rather it to stick then to be loose. Wouldnt want to take a chance for anything to seep into the lug bolts and loosen them up either
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinWeiss View Post
When you change out your wheels or take them off for any reason, scrub the bore with a metal brush to remove any rust that builds up. Then put some lube on the hub so that your wheel will not be stuck on there next time when you take it off. I had this issue last year with my summers and was stuck in the cold trying to swap out wheels in front of storage. Totally sucks. Remove any rust and grease the hub and you should be alot better off.
Yep, I've been trying something like that. I've not touched the wheel though. Sounds like I will have to clean up both the hub and the wheel. I guess the hub center has high spots from the mild surface rust, which need to be emeried down. I think I'll cut a long strip of 600 grit cloth, wrap it around the hub, and rub it down with a to-and-fro motion.

Quote:
I use anti-seize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
Another vote for Anti-Seize
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Clean the rust off the hub/face of the rotor really well and then apply anti seize liberally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Mine's some other brand and copper anti-seize. I didn't know about the stuff until the first time I went to changeover to my new snows--all 4 rims were stuck. With this stuff, never any problems changing over. To borrow that expression, like buttah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haajehaa View Post
Don't use copper based anti-seize where there's aluminum. Makes the aluminum corrode like crazy!
Sounds like thorough cleaning plus anti-sieze is the way to go. haajehaa: Thanks for the info about the copper-based anti-seize. I did clean off what I applied last winter. It was a pain to get it out (that stuff sticks really well) but I got most of it out. Snyperx and others: is there a specific brand/type of anti-sieze that's rated for Al wheels and iron rotors, or does the generic grey Permatex stuff work fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
best way I've found to get stuck wheels off is to have the wheel jacked up just so it is off the ground (1/2" or so) then take a 2x4 and slide/swing it along the ground (under the car) - hitting the inside of the tire (side facing the wheel well). Give it a few knocks and rotate tire (if front tire) and repeat until it comes loose.

I will usually have another piece of wood butted up against the inside of the tire and rim so that the piece being swung is hitting the piece against the tire. Helps distribute the impact.

Make sure you still have one lug nut on loosely or wheel may get away from you.
I've not tried that method to get it out. Sounds like it would be easier on the wheel and the car than what I've been doing. Since I put the car on ramps and use the center jack point to raise it, there's plenty of clearance to get under there and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
Whenever mine are stuck on i just give it a nice swift kick to the bottom and top of the wheel and it comes right off.
Nah, don't think that will work for me! My wheels are usually stuck so hard I would have to be Chuck Norris to get them off with a swift kick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburger View Post
And also keep a can of pb blaster around if it still sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafiksguy View Post
This happens with alloys and the cast iron hubs because of a metallurgic reaction between the different metals. Anything you can do to "separate" them will help, like coating with anti-seize. I also believe that Bav Auto sells very thin composite fiber spacers that you put between the wheel and hub which eliminates the problem. I've found spraying the back of the wheel with a silicone spray helps some. Durability of the solution depends on how much wet weather the wheels have to endure. Another solution is to paint the center of the hub. Centric rotors come this way and it all but eliminates the problem.
Thanks for the info. What kind of silicone spray did you use (brand/model)? Painting the rotor (and the hub) would seem like it might work. Has anyone tried this? If so, what type of paint and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
I would almost rather it to stick then to be loose. Wouldnt want to take a chance for anything to seep into the lug bolts and loosen them up either
That was kind of my thinking as well, so I've been real hesitant to put much stuff on. But I suppose as long as we're careful about where and how much, it should be ok. I think it helps that we have lug bolts instead of nuts, reduces the chances of stuff getting on the threads..

Thanks all for the helpful comments.
      04-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
You probably have a thin layer of surface rust on the hub. Just clean it thoroughly with a wire brush and the wheels should come off easier.
      04-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Antiseize should be reserved for the centering hub, not the bolt plate. Cleaning with a metal brush should be enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

when I removed my stock wheels, there was a "gasket" of sorts between the hub and the wheel. It did NOT help the sticking, as I was kicking my tires like crazy. I have never seen this between the wheel before, but I did leave it there. But since it didnt help, should I remove it and just use anit sieze or some other lubricant when I swith to summer wheels this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Wire brush and some anti-seize is in order.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0