E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tale of 2 Dealers (BMW)

12-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Tale of 2 Dealers (BMW)

As some are no doubt aware, I recently sold the car, a very reluctant sale it was too.
Anyway what was interesting was the valuations and offers from two different dealers, one who had had my loyalty for a number of yrs, and one dealer who I had had no dealings with whatsoever, bar my relationship with a sales guy.

Dealer A

I have been dealing with this dealership since 2003, when I bought my first BMW, an E46 330D saloon.
I subsequently went on to buy an E46 coupe in 2005, a E92 335D in 2007, and in 2008 I bought the car I’ve recently sold, which was an ex-BMW management car which the dealership bought in from another dealer on my behalf.
In between the E4/9x’s we also bought a Mini Cooper cab in 2005.

With the exception of the latest E92, all the cars were factory orders, all of the vehicles were serviced at this dealership, and with the exception of the Mini (sold privately) all were P/exed to buy the next BMW.
So in all quite a tidy sum of money went there way.

In all the time I have dealt with this particular dealership, my purchases were all conducted with the one sales guy, someone who over the yrs had become a good friend, someone who I trusted, and that trust went both ways.
In early 2010 the dealership went through some big changes from a managerial point of view, new DP, who came in with the new broom, and there were casualties, sadly and rather unbelievably, my sales guy was one of those casualties.
So in late Nov this yr I phoned a Sales Guy at the dealership who I knew quite well, explained the situation, and I took the car down.
The car was put up on the lift and given an inspection, and the service history (which was FBMWSH as the d/ship well knew) was given the once over.
The Guy clearly used Parkers/other value bible, and came back with a value and offer.

I wasn’t expecting any charity, nor favours, just an honest offer based on the cars spec, mileage and condition.
I said I’d think about it, and get back to him.

I then asked the opinion of the members on here, and the advice of others, and it seems the offer was clearly on the low side, and was verging on a serious pisstake.

I then put the car up on Autotrader for two wks, 1st week at £21500, resulting in zilch in terms of interest, so I reduced the car to £20,500, which to me was a steal!
Again, no interest at all, in fact in the two wks it was up for sale, I never received one call!

Luckily (as it turned out) I had previously tracked down the sales guy who had left Dealer A,after being fed some unbelievable bullshit by the staff at Dealer A about where he’d gone, and what he was currently doing.
I’d pop in to see him for a coffee and a chat at his new place of employment when I was passing, so we still had each other’s contact details, which brings me to -

Dealer B

As above really, the Sales guy who I had previously dealt with at Dealer A, was now at Dealer B, not that far away from me, and very close to a new tunnel that’s just been built on the main A31 to Portsmouth.
So I called him up and as I had previously spoken to the Guy on a number of previous occasions, he was only too aware of my history, what was going on, the cars pedigree,and he was also interested in buying the car for stock, as he did have one buyer in particular who would be interested in the car.

I offered to drive the car down for an inspection, but the guy explained that as he knew the car, myself and could see the service history on the system, there was no need for him to see the car.
So it was left that he’d call me back within 24hrs with an offer.

As promised, I got the call the next day.
The Guy explained that they don’t exclusively use value bibles to value car’s, they also scour the likes of AT/Pistonheads and see what can/could be achieved with the cars they are proposing to buy,and subsequently sell on.
So based on a quick call, no inspection of the car, Dealer B made an unconditional offer of £2k more than Dealer A!
Needless to say I accepted the offer and the car was driven down to it’s new temporary home on the 4th December, the paperwork was concluded, and the money was electronically transferred into my account the next day.

Cool story Bro, some will no doubt say, however for me it was a demonstration of how customer loyalty means cock all to most these days, and how a good relationship with one particular person can make all the difference.
Needless to say my 9yr business dealings with Dealer A have come to an end, and Dealer B will benefit from any future business.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
So he was just pushed sideways to another dealer, at least he still works for BMW.

I think it's always best to strike up a decent relationship. But in your case Ian it still paid off with that individual.

Some dealers are not very good, some are very good. Pleased with mine at the moment.
      12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
They're all the same Ian.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

For me, these days it feels like these young jumped up morons are more concerned about making a sale on the day, rather than helping you out and gaining your trust and earning your next five sales.

My late grandfather went to the same ford dealer for over 20 years. Each time he walked in, the owner of the dealership would come out to greet him and all of his staff knew him by name. He would get coffee, biscuits and he would receive a Christmas card every year. He was always at the front of the queue for any kind of offers and promotions that they had on and they genuinely looked after him. I understand that you can't do this for every customer, but you should look after the people that use you over and over again.

In my eyes its simple business - they look after you, you look after them. Relationships are important in any area of business.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Sales people are not the same as a few years ago, when they could give you a trade price and discuss finance with you. Nowadays there a "Sales executive" a "finance manager" a "Valuations manager" all get involved and none are much good at anything but their main role.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Never ceases to amaze me how the motor trade still exists........

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Nice one IAN! Like Carl its very important to get a good relation going but Vines in Crawley are ***. Much prefer the Redhill Vines. Have always used their Parts department over Crawleys.

I asked Crawley to give me a quote on some E9x Rear control arms with discount they said I could have them in 5 days. But if I order without discount then they can be overnighted and be ready for collection the next morning.

Redhill, had them ready the next day in the afternoon albeit with a slightly better discount rate too.

Sometimes I swear they are pricks... I really got half a mind to post the tom and jerry sketch but maybe its a bit harsh.

Edit: what gripes me most about crawley is the way the talk to me, I am all friendly and honest and these guys go on like they have maids to wash their Pen*s's in the morning. All royal and what not.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
gavp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/ F21 M135

Good read, more fool the first dealer.
      12-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
MLAM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 325i Sport Saloon

Don't surprise me about Dealer A feeding you crap about your Sales Guy.

They simply will tell you he has left BMW Group or doing something totally different as they know you have the relationship with him and will more than likely go to him if you knew he still worked in a BMW Dealer, which is natural instinct but as you know each dealer is franchised they don't want to lose you as a customer, on this occasion though they did themselves no favours at all
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Ta for the comments Guys,it's sadly liberating not having a car to call your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Nice one IAN! Like Carl its very important to get a good relation going but Vines in Crawley are ***. Much prefer the Redhill Vines. Have always used their Parts department over Crawleys.

I asked Crawley to give me a quote on some E9x Rear control arms with discount they said I could have them in 5 days. But if I order without discount then they can be overnighted and be ready for collection the next morning.

Redhill, had them ready the next day in the afternoon albeit with a slightly better discount rate too.

Sometimes I swear they are pricks... I really got half a mind to post the tom and jerry sketch but maybe its a bit harsh.

Edit: what gripes me most about crawley is the way the talk to me, I am all friendly and honest and these guys go on like they have maids to wash their Pen*s's in the morning. All royal and what not.
I've never used Crawley AP

I've been there,seems a nice showroom,and the people seemed friendly enough,I can't recall why I went there though.

The parts/service depts are good @ Redhill,in particular the parts dept.

In the past I've always used Vince or Wesley (now in service),and they've always given a discount,or matched bmminiparts on most items,the delivery and service from parts has always been good too.

Just a shame how other things didn't work out,but hey........

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0