E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is it better to do a muffler delete rather than adding a muffler

08-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Alex613Eter
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330xi

Is it better to do a muffler delete rather than adding a muffler

I heard that I would have problems adding a muffler because of the vacuum controlled damper and removing that it would have a negative effect on performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Remove your mufflers and all of your seats (including drivers seat) for the highest performance!
      08-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Muffler delete on my 330i and love it. Perfect tone, volume, etc. I am 6MT so can shift as I like though which may affect your decision. Sound wise.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Alex613Eter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_335i
Remove your mufflers and all of your seats (including drivers seat) for the highest performance!
Wow your just brilliant. I couldn't have asked for a better answer from a 3 year old! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Alex613Eter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
Muffler delete on my 330i and love it. Perfect tone, volume, etc. I am 6MT so can shift as I like though which may affect your decision. Sound wise.
Ok so a muffler delete\resonator delete would be better than just a resonator delete+magnaflow? Also does anyone know about the vacuum controlled damper?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613Eter View Post
Wow your just brilliant. I couldn't have asked for a better answer from a 3 year old! Thanks
You're welcome... tell me how it goes!
      08-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613Eter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
Ok so a muffler delete\resonator delete would be better than just a resonator delete+magnaflow? Also does anyone know about the vacuum controlled damper?
Remember a res delete will add more drone than anything else
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Better than what? It depends on what kind of sound you're after. IMO a muffler delete sounds cheap and unrefined. But there's plenty of people that love it.

What is this vacuum controlled damper? If you're talking about the vacuum exhaust flap in the OEM muffler, it makes no difference whether you do a muffler delete or replace the muffler. It's part of the OEM muffler so it will be removed with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
Quote:
Better than what? It depends on what kind of sound you're after. IMO a muffler delete sounds cheap and unrefined. But there's plenty of people that love it.

What is this vacuum controlled damper? If you're talking about the vacuum exhaust flap in the OEM muffler, it makes no difference whether you do a muffler delete or replace the muffler. It's part of the OEM muffler so it will be removed with it.
The vacuum tube stays. Needs to be plugged.

Ed: unless you love super loud and raspy, you're better off just replacing the muffler, the difference may be 1-2hp at most, but delete will double the volume pretty easily, and be rather droney mostly. A well setup single res and muffler can flow basically as well as straight pipes until you get into VERY high power/screwing the last few % out of a small engine or forced induction.. But then many race tracks have noise limits an so do some race series'
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

There isn't as much drone if you keep the resonator. Res delete won't do as much as a 2nd cat delete (with the muffler delete). I have a feeling most of the hate for the muffler delete comes from people comparing it to a $1000+ exhaust system which is just dumb. Unless you're taking interstate for long periods the drone won't even bother you.

The only thing I'm still clueless about is if the muffler delete gets gurgle + popping. Haven't heard it in a video yet.
      08-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
JSAN23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
There isn't as much drone if you keep the resonator. Res delete won't do as much as a 2nd cat delete (with the muffler delete). I have a feeling most of the hate for the muffler delete comes from people comparing it to a $1000+ exhaust system which is just dumb. Unless you're taking interstate for long periods the drone won't even bother you.

The only thing I'm still clueless about is if the muffler delete gets gurgle + popping. Haven't heard it in a video yet.
It definitely won't be as loud or distinguishable as on a PE or another aftermarket option but you will get SOME gurgle/popping.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=J_Roc23]
Quote:

Quote:
It definitely won't be as loud or distinguishable as on a PE or another aftermarket option but you will get SOME gurgle/popping.

Is that first video a muffler delete with the resonator still on? It sounds nice.
      08-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep

Well just got my muffler delete and it sound amazing. I don't know why so many haters.
      08-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
JSAN23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well just got my muffler delete and it sound amazing. I don't know why so many haters.
Nice! Sound clips?
Getting mine done next week as soon as my tips come in but I'm running an extension pipe to the passenger side to run quads
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Honestly, I've been in cars with muffler deletes and seen them on the road - IT IS OBNOXIOUS AF...Don't make your bmw into a rice rocket with all that nose into something that it isn't. It's not a lambo to be so loud. I have the same car as you, 330xi. I did a resonator delete and had that for a while but it wasn't loud enough for me. Few months later I came across a Remus Powersound for $250 I bought it and its louder and has a deep nose. If you do a muffler delete...it sounds like a fart can. My friend had a '01 E320 with a muffler delete (I know how stupid is that) and the drone was the most annoying thing, even when he was slightly pressing down on the peddal. What I suggest is do a resonator delete and find a muffler that suits you. I picked the Remus because it wasn't too loud and wasn't too quiet. On a scale 1-10 on loudness I'd give mine a 7. At least this way you won't be a cop magnet and sound like your driving a yacht around. And when you floor it with a muffler delete I swear to you..it sounds like violent diarrhea. Unless you want to be a obnoxious douche with a muffler delete than be my guest..just know MOST of those guys drive everything less than a 335. Don't take the cheap, easy way out..do the world a favor and get any muffler (with nice tips because the ones on my Powersound are ugly as hell).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
JSAN23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90330xiSG View Post
Honestly, I've been in cars with muffler deletes and seen them on the road - IT IS OBNOXIOUS AF...Don't make your bmw into a rice rocket with all that nose into something that it isn't. It's not a lambo to be so loud. I have the same car as you, 330xi. I did a resonator delete and had that for a while but it wasn't loud enough for me. Few months later I came across a Remus Powersound for $250 I bought it and its louder and has a deep nose. If you do a muffler delete...it sounds like a fart can. My friend had a '01 E320 with a muffler delete (I know how stupid is that) and the drone was the most annoying thing, even when he was slightly pressing down on the peddal. What I suggest is do a resonator delete and find a muffler that suits you. I picked the Remus because it wasn't too loud and wasn't too quiet. On a scale 1-10 on loudness I'd give mine a 7. At least this way you won't be a cop magnet and sound like your driving a yacht around. And when you floor it with a muffler delete I swear to you..it sounds like violent diarrhea. Unless you want to be a obnoxious douche with a muffler delete than be my guest..just know MOST of those guys drive everything less than a 335. Don't take the cheap, easy way out..do the world a favor and get any muffler (with nice tips because the ones on my Powersound are ugly as hell).
I agree with you somewhat. I have heard some 3 series that sound absolutely terrible with a muffler delete but I think that's because they've taken out the resonator and cats as well. But then there's some that actually sound very decent. I think the key thing is the resonator. If you do a MD+ Resonator delete that's when it gets obnoxious. Most of the time deleting the muffler just gives it a nice sound. Cause we all know N52's are terribly quiet. Most people here with a MD like the sound and don't think it's that much louder than a stock 335i.
If you look at it, AA's new Signature Exhaust is pretty much just a muffler delete but with the extra drone canister or whatever the name is.
I've asked them personally when discussing about all my options when it comes to an exhaust and they told me it was best to just delete the muffler and leave the resonator as the resonator is pretty much a small muffler in itself instead of wasting money on an aftermarket muffler and resonator delete.
To each his own though.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Roc23 View Post
I agree with you somewhat. I have heard some 3 series that sound absolutely terrible with a muffler delete but I think that's because they've taken out the resonator and cats as well. But then there's some that actually sound very decent. I think the key thing is the resonator. If you do a MD+ Resonator delete that's when it gets obnoxious. Most of the time deleting the muffler just gives it a nice sound. Cause we all know N52's are terribly quiet. Most people here with a MD like the sound and don't think it's that much louder than a stock 335i.
If you look at it, AA's new Signature Exhaust is pretty much just a muffler delete but with the extra drone canister or whatever the name is.
I've asked them personally when discussing about all my options when it comes to an exhaust and they told me it was best to just delete the muffler and leave the resonator as the resonator is pretty much a small muffler in itself instead of wasting money on an aftermarket muffler and resonator delete.
To each his own though.
That makes sense, whatever floats their boat.
Appreciate 0