E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Direct Injection - Carbon Buildup

03-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Direct Injection - Carbon Buildup

Hello everyone. I tried searching and couldn't come up with anything so I'll pose my question to the members of this forum:

1) Do the BMW 128i and 328i have direct injection or not? My research says it isn't, but that's just because I haven't found anything that says it is.

2) If the BMW 128i and 328i have direct injection, are they seeing the same carbon buildup problems that the Audi's and VW owners are having? I hear that Lexus uses a combination of direct injection and port injection. DI at low RPM and port injection at higher RPMs. This basically allows some air+fuel (with detergents) to pass by the intake valves and clean the valves, rather then the typical DI alone system where only air ever passes through these valves.

3) At the risk of getting crucified (don't answer it if you don't want to) I'll try and kill two birds with one stone right here. If you guys don't know, I'll post in the respective cars forums, but if you happen to know off the top of your head it'd be much appreciated. So.... take the same above questions, but now replace them the cars to one of these: G37, Mercedes C-Class, Volvo S60. Yet again, don't flame me for this. If you don't know its cool, but I figured that while I have your attention I might as well absorb all the info I can get.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbrief...1-114-1-17.pdf

this link might clear up some stuff. The first article is the one I'm referencing. I also think I messed up when I said DI and low rpm, and port at higher. It's always using both, but the ratio of how much of each system is used is dependent on rpm.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

I don't think the 128i/328i use DI.
      03-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

another poster just confirmed with me that it doesn't. Thanks for the help!

Feel free to close this thread... I actually also posted this in the General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio forum so that has the more up to date info anyways. Sorry for posting the same thing in two places, didn't know where it actually belonged...
Appreciate 0