E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

11-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
dream on Fella,the amount of cars that are on the road with this problem, would probably equal the numbers of both Avis and Hertz of their entire stock of available cars as courtesy ones.

The update will probably only take about 30 mins,and is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

If it wasn't for the potential problems with my insurance company should it not be carried out,I wouldn't bother going anywhere near my dealer for the work to be done.

I've got to put the OBD port back in the proper position for the upgrade,faff.
Have the upgrade done,potentially lose my map ,probably lose my fold from the fob wing mirror function (I paid an indy to do),and then to make the car secure AGAIN,I have to put the OBD back to where it rightfully belongs,where some fucker can't find it!

What a load of bollocks for a £40k+ car.

BMW - Big Motherf*cker W*nk*rs / / /

No,I'm not bitter

well said Ian....

time to let watchdog on these fcukers again....cracking wheels and now this...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

Am i right in saying that this will be part of a full software update to the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #25
DanTheManc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

will my JB4 still work ok after the software update?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #26
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Spoken to BMW and apparently it is not a full software update, just a relevant part for the OBD.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #27
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
Spoken to BMW and apparently it is not a full software update, just a relevant part for the OBD.
But the update has nothing to do with the OBD...

It's just switching off the key-lock window roll down feature.

Even if they were fixing the security issue properly it has nothing to do with the OBDII port which is a standard interface on all cars.

It's the BMW CAS security modules that have the key-adding security vulnerability, and these devices are on the CAN bus, with everything else, connnected to the OBD port.

Just think though - lots of new cars now have wifi hotspots, so this means they are vulnerable to remote hacking for the first time.

Next thing people will be having keys added, their address book and browsing history and passwords / credit card details nicked from their cars systems and phone connections without even being aware of it!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #28
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Ian: Didn't anyone ever tell you that you should put a space after a comma?
      11-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #29
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Are BMW right in saying that a full software update is not required? I could do with some updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
But the update has nothing to do with the OBD...

It's just switching off the key-lock window roll down feature.

Even if they were fixing the security issue properly it has nothing to do with the OBDII port which is a standard interface on all cars.

It's the BMW CAS security modules that have the key-adding security vulnerability, and these devices are on the CAN bus, with everything else, connnected to the OBD port.

Just think though - lots of new cars now have wifi hotspots, so this means they are vulnerable to remote hacking for the first time.

Next thing people will be having keys added, their address book and browsing history and passwords / credit card details nicked from their cars systems and phone connections without even being aware of it!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Can't be arsed digesting everything's this thread..

Just want 3 answers: if my old man goes to Bmw, do they have a solution? Does it actually work? Is his car now safe?

Last edited by dxb335d; 11-08-2012 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #31
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Can't be arsed digesting everything's this thread..

Just want 3 answers: if my old man goes to Bmw, do they have a solution? Does it actually work? Is his car now safe?
Answer 1:
Qualified YES
Answer 2:
YES. The solution will work as BMW want it to
Answer 3:
NO
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #32
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Are BMW right in saying that a full software update is not required? I could do with some updates!
Think of the updates like a Windows Update, there's lots of bits that get updated from time to time.

So if you updated your PC recently, then a new update today will only be a small one just for the new item.

However, if you haven't updated your PC for months, then there will be a shed load of things need updating in one go.

It's the same with BMW, they only have one 'update vehicle' dialogue button on their system and this will update all modules to the latest version, so the size / length of the update depends on your current car status and when it was last updated.

If you car is recently up to date, then this new security update will only be a small update, if however like me your car has not been updated for years, then its a fair chance the EVERYTHING will need updating.

The overall update status of your car is called the 'integration level'. for example in simplified terms:

Integration level 1 = all modules at version 1
Integration level 2 = all modules at v1, but CAS at v2
Integration level 3 = all modules at v1, but CAS at v2 and DME at v2

etc etc. this goes on for years and years and the IL numbers are a long string of numbers and letters, but it's this 'integration level' that is looked at, not the individual module updates.

Obviously a lot of module updates are interlinked, so they have to be done at the same time, so it's not up to the operator to choose which ones are done, he just presses 'go' and the system updates everything to the latest integration level.

This is why they never know how long it will take to update the car as until they get it plugged in they don't know the current status, could be a 10 minute job or 5 hours.

Last edited by doughboy; 11-08-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #33
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Ok great, thanks for your help! This is what i thought but BMW were saying the opposite... probably trying to rip me off to pay for a full software update. Well that's good news then, something free out of BMW!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Answer 1:
Qualified YES
Answer 2:
YES. The solution will work as BMW want it to
Answer 3:
NO
So the car still be nicked?
      11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #35
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
So the car still be nicked?
Yes, by simply smashing the window and accessing the OBD port in exactly the same way as before!
      11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Apparently this fix disables the OBD port whilst the car does not have the appropriate key in the ignition, so it is no longer live at all times.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
How on earth can Bmw think that they are sorting it then?
      11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA
Ian: Didn't anyone ever tell you that you should put a space after a comma?

That went down well
Anyway,back on topic-to be honest,I wasn't going to bother with the update but I do like the idea of a full software update gratis!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Quote:
Apparently this fix disables the OBD port whilst the car does not have the appropriate key in the ignition, so it is no longer live at all times.
That requires more than a software update lol
      11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #40
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Took the car in to local dealer to have the supposed security fix and guess what - they couldn't do it! The new software is faulty (or at least their version of it)!

I mentioned the possibility of losing my 'mirrors-fold-with-fob' facility after the fix is carried out and was told they're happy to re-code free of charge if this happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #41
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

Mine went in for an engine light fault this morning and when I got the call to mention the car was ready, they told me they've also installed the 'software fix' even though I didn't request this, so kudos to BMW Heathrow.

Not sure if the fix resolves the issue, so my OBD is still hidden - I had to explain to the SA where I relocated it, they were absolutely fine with this.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon88 View Post
Mine went in for an engine light fault this morning and when I got the call to mention the car was ready, they told me they've also installed the 'software fix' even though I didn't request this, so kudos to BMW Heathrow.

Not sure if the fix resolves the issue, so my OBD is still hidden - I had to explain to the SA where I relocated it, they were absolutely fine with this.
My car was for a service a few weeks ago with BMW Heathrow and I asked to be mailed once the fix is available.
Will have to get in touch with them if they have it now!

Still going to be moving the ODB
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon88 View Post

Can you kindly verify if your windows drop from remote after this 'update'?

Thanks.
      11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #44
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Think of the updates like a Windows Update, there's lots of bits that get updated from time to time.

So if you updated your PC recently, then a new update today will only be a small one just for the new item.

However, if you haven't updated your PC for months, then there will be a shed load of things need updating in one go.

It's the same with BMW, they only have one 'update vehicle' dialogue button on their system and this will update all modules to the latest version, so the size / length of the update depends on your current car status and when it was last updated.

If you car is recently up to date, then this new security update will only be a small update, if however like me your car has not been updated for years, then its a fair chance the EVERYTHING will need updating.

The overall update status of your car is called the 'integration level'. for example in simplified terms:

Integration level 1 = all modules at version 1
Integration level 2 = all modules at v1, but CAS at v2
Integration level 3 = all modules at v1, but CAS at v2 and DME at v2

etc etc. this goes on for years and years and the IL numbers are a long string of numbers and letters, but it's this 'integration level' that is looked at, not the individual module updates.

Obviously a lot of module updates are interlinked, so they have to be done at the same time, so it's not up to the operator to choose which ones are done, he just presses 'go' and the system updates everything to the latest integration level.

This is why they never know how long it will take to update the car as until they get it plugged in they don't know the current status, could be a 10 minute job or 5 hours.
Good explanation. This is what they are taught to do.
There is a way around it. Advance coding/ updating, where you can only update what you want to.

However there may be compatibility issues of updated module as it requires some other modules to be updated simultaneously. (as you posted above).
Experienced programmer / coder will know what modules should be updated if you update one.

But as far as BMW updates is concerned, it works as you explained.