E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Problem with Alpine HID angels

11-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Question Problem with Alpine HID angels

So, I had these HID angels for over a couple years now. I had no issues until a few days ago.

I noticed that my angels would shut off once the main headlights (xenons) turn on. If the headlights are off, both angles eyes turn on and stay on without a problem.

When inspecting under the hood and the headlights on, I noticed a pulsing or slight ticking noise and it seem to come from the piece that I circled in yellow. If I touch it, I can feel it vibrate. If I turn off the headlights, that piece does not make any noise and does not vibrate.

Any idea of what that is and if that is the actual problem? I tried PMing the vendor, but I haven't had a response yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [8.50]
That's the relay that connects the battery to your ballast. Not sure if mine ticks or not. I will have to check on it later.

Mine stays on when I turn on the headlights. Probably something wrong with the relay.

The relay basically receives the electrical signal from the angel lights then uses the battery to power the ballast since the angel voltage is too small. If you turn your low beams on, the voltage on the angel drops to dim them. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the relay once the voltage drops below a certain point causing it to not detect the electrical signal. Hopefully this clears it up...I'm bad at explaining stuff lol.
Add Ons: Charcoal Filter Delete, K&N Drop-in, Air Scoops, HID Angel Eyes, Splitters, M3 Lip Spoiler, Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Blackvue DR500-GW, M-Tech rear, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 control arms, Bilstein HD

Last edited by cisf0rcalvin; 11-18-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
IMO I would remove this kit and get something else non-HID.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisf0rcalvin View Post
That's the relay that connects the battery to your ballast. Not sure if mine ticks or not. I will have to check on it later.

Mine stays on when I turn on the headlights. Probably something wrong with the relay.

The relay basically receives the electrical signal from the angel lights then uses the battery to power the ballast since the angel voltage is too small. If you turn your low beams on, the voltage on the angel drops to dim them. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the relay once the voltage drops below a certain point causing it to not detect the electrical signal. Hopefully this clears it up...I'm bad at explaining stuff lol.
Which part would be the relay? Is it the part I circled or something else?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
IMO I would remove this kit and get something else non-HID.
LED bulbs are not bright at all (aka MTEC or LUX).

The only thing I would consider are full LED rings (like OSS), but I'm not impressed right now in terms of brightness.

I currently like my HID setup since it is bright and visible during the day. It also matches perfectly with my xenons. That's why I would like to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
LED bulbs are not bright at all (aka MTEC or LUX).

The only thing I would consider are full LED rings (like OSS), but I'm not impressed right now in terms of brightness.

I currently like my HID setup since it is bright and visible during the day. It also matches perfectly with my xenons. That's why I would like to fix the issue.
Yes HID is the brightest option out. but there are many members who's wires got burned, burning the headlight and ecu by running HID angel eyes. Just watch out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Yes HID is the brightest option out. but there are many members who's wires got burned, burning the headlight and ecu by running HID angel eyes. Just watch out.
And thats when you upgrade to OSS/LS3

OP, ill get you a video later today hopefully.

Also, the part you circled is the fuse. Check if that is blown, you might just need to replace the fuse....

Last edited by Eric335; 11-18-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
I guess thats for the cheap ebay brands, not the same for mtec/lux as there are many members running these on their cars since years with zero issues..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
And thats when you upgrade to OSS/LS3

OP, ill get you a video later today hopefully.

Also, the part you circled is the fuse. Check if that is blown, you might just need to replace the fuse....
Thanks. If that's the fuse, then maybe that needs to be replaced... but if it's blown wouldn't the angel eyes not work at all?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm a bit worried when individuals use just a basic DDM tuning kit and code them to make them work.

But, I believe that the solution that is provided by Alex is great. I also upgraded my bulbs which have UV protection.

Thank you for the concern, but I really had no issues whatsoever until recently. Everyone that has seen them has complimented me. I'm just hoping for a simple fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [8.50]
The circled part is the relay. In the second picture to the right of the circle is the fuse. You just need a new relay harness.

IMO your ecu and wires are safe. You are using the battery as the source ofpower and not the angel eye wires. Could be wrong though.
Add Ons: Charcoal Filter Delete, K&N Drop-in, Air Scoops, HID Angel Eyes, Splitters, M3 Lip Spoiler, Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Blackvue DR500-GW, M-Tech rear, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 control arms, Bilstein HD
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
I'm a bit worried when individuals use just a basic DDM tuning kit and code them to make them work.

But, I believe that the solution that is provided by Alex is great. I also upgraded my bulbs which have UV protection.

Thank you for the concern, but I really had no issues whatsoever until recently. Everyone that has seen them has complimented me. I'm just hoping for a simple fix.
You can actually try changing out the relay first, that would be the easiest solution for trouble shooting and if it still doesn't work you can eliminate that as a issue. 100% it is not your fuse, if it was it would not work at all.

Also, if you have a volt meter you should check what voltage the trigger wire is because it do need to see 12V in order to keep the relay running.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisf0rcalvin View Post
The circled part is the relay. In the second picture to the right of the circle is the fuse. You just need a new relay harness.

IMO your ecu and wires are safe. You are using the battery as the source ofpower and not the angel eye wires. Could be wrong though.
Shit, your right. I was looking at the wrong part Its not your fuse, its the relay. Send Alex an email, im sure he can source out some parts to ya.
      11-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Shit, your right. I was looking at the wrong part Its not your fuse, its the relay. Send Alex an email, im sure he can source out some parts to ya.
Thanks guys!

Can I take only that part apart? Or, do I need a new harness?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
The Relay simply unplugs from the harness at the connector - more than likely you can get the relay at any auto parts store (or RadioShack). Just unplug it, take it in, and buy one of same rating/configuration.

No need for a new harness just to change out the relay - just make sure harness looks in good shape (no melted wiring insulation, etc.)
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Ive done dozens of LED conversions. Many of the lights I converted to full LED rings were running HID angels- be warned, many of them had been yellowed by the heat and/or had dimished ring output because the HID system slowly started melting the rings. It gets hot in there and your HID kit WILL ruin your headlights over time.
      11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
The Relay simply unplugs from the harness at the connector - more than likely you can get the relay at any auto parts store (or RadioShack). Just unplug it, take it in, and buy one of same rating/configuration.

No need for a new harness just to change out the relay - just make sure harness looks in good shape (no melted wiring insulation, etc.)
Cool. I'll do that. At least that would be an easy fix. Didn't want to undo all the wiring. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz_335i View Post
Ive done dozens of LED conversions. Many of the lights I converted to full LED rings were running HID angels- be warned, many of them had been yellowed by the heat and/or had dimished ring output because the HID system slowly started melting the rings. It gets hot in there and your HID kit WILL ruin your headlights over time.
OK. Well, once I have an issue, I'll probably have to PM you for some full LED headlights then.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
OK. Well, once I have an issue, I'll probably have to PM you for some full LED headlights then.