E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *UPDATE: Kinivo BTC450* Blackberry MUSIC gateway vs STEREO gateway?

03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Question *UPDATE: Kinivo BTC450* Blackberry MUSIC gateway vs STEREO gateway?

I am looking to get a bluetooth A2DP adapter for my iphone4. I know a lot of people in this forum like to use the BB gateway. However when doing a search 2 items came up: the Blackberry MUSIC gateway vs Blackberry STEREO gateway.

What is the difference between the two, compatibility and functionality wise. Will both connect to my iphone4 via bluetooh? recommendations?

Music gateway: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Blackb...+music+gateway

Stereo Gateway: http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Rem...+music+gateway

UPDATE:
I would just like to update this thread.
I have since decided to get a Kinivo BTC450 instead of the BB Music Gateway. The reason is because the guy who was supposed to sell me a brand new music gateway was a flake.

The BTC450 is not only a A2DP module (music only), but also acts like a HSP, HFP, and AVRCP. This means I am also able to answer calls with the device and has a mic! So its a whole hands free device!
Cost: $40 from Amazon.

First impressions:
Neat, sleek look. Thin wires. Short 12v adapter that comes with a usb slot! I am actually able to close the arm rest with it still plugged in. I have this device mounted (it comes with 2 double sided tape) to the southeast of the boot on the wood part.

Connection to my phone, Nexus 5, was very easy.
The music/sound quality is great! No loss of loudness (I had read that the music gateway has that problem where it decreases volume). Sound is pretty clean and crisp, as if using a aux cable, which surprised me.
I tested calling my sister and she said that she can hear me pretty clearly.

The device automatically turns on/off when you start the car, which is what i wanted. In addition, it has an multifunction button and a next song and last song button. The multifunction button allows for voice command/dialing (if your phone supports it), redial last number, and music play/pause.

Conclusion: Even though I spent more than what I had hoped for a A2DP BT device for my car, I am very satisfied with quality and functionality of this product.

Last edited by 1chanc3; 02-18-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

I'm not sure the answer to your question, but just wanted to let you know that the music gateway is available at crackberry.com for only $50, and they are in stock unlike Amazon.

I actually just ordered one. I've been wanting A2DP since I got my car.
http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...A172A11438.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

OK I've looked around on the web. It looks like the Stereo gateway is the first gen product, and the music gateway is the second gen product, so go with the new one:
http://www.berryreview.com/2012/09/1...eway-with-nfc/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
1chanc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
OK I've looked around on the web. It looks like the Stereo gateway is the first gen product, and the music gateway is the second gen product, so go with the new one:
http://www.berryreview.com/2012/09/1...eway-with-nfc/
Ahhh cool! thank you! Just what I was looking for, and believe me, I tried looking on google and on BBs website, but nothing!

If the Music is the updated version, seems like both should work with any bluetooth device.
      03-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
jstegman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
FYI: I just bought the music gateway for my 2008 E92 last week and am disappointed. The volume comes out really low (50% of radio) so you have to crank it up which distorts the sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have the same issue with my AUX audio anyway.

I thought long and hard about a Combox retrofit today, but I'll try this $50 adapter first.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well the BB Music Gateway arrived yesterday. I have to say I am pretty happy with it. Sound quality is pretty good - not CD quality but neither are most of the rips I am playing.

Setup was a snap too! My Lumia 620 has NFC so I just had to tap the phone to the gateway to pair. Setup literally took less than 10 seconds.

Now I can play all of my music on my car which is what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

What kind of phone are you using? If it's a newer Samsung, you're much better off getting a blue tooth adapter that supports APT-X.

The quality is night and day.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Is this better than the belkin bluetooth adaptor and is it steering wheel compatible?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegman View Post
FYI: I just bought the music gateway for my 2008 E92 last week and am disappointed. The volume comes out really low (50% of radio) so you have to crank it up which distorts the sound.

The problem might be that your cell phone volume is low.
Go to your phone's volume setting and increase it to full.
On android, it would be media volume.

I installed an app where when the phone connects to the bb music gateway, it turns volume all the way up and forces connect on the 335i bt.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9M0W View Post
Is this better than the belkin bluetooth adaptor and is it steering wheel compatible?
It is not steering wheel compatible, as you are connecting the output of it to the aux input.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
It is not steering wheel compatible, as you are connecting the output of it to the aux input.
Is there anything out there that is steering wheel compatible?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
gdgraham
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Garage List
I have the Belkin A2DP adapter and I have to manually pair it every time I get in the car which gets annoying. Is this the case the BB Gateway too or just mine?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9M0W View Post
Is there anything out there that is steering wheel compatible?
Only way to be steering wheel compatible is if the device uses BMWs bluetooth a2dp connection, which is non existent on most older models, and on newer ones you have to get multiple added packages (extra cost). If it connects to the aux on the car, it wont be.
The ipod connection is though. You can stream music from iphone or ipod through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraham View Post
I have the Belkin A2DP adapter and I have to manually pair it every time I get in the car which gets annoying. Is this the case the BB Gateway too or just mine?
Try resetting the bluetooth connections. Check online to see if you can erase all connections from the Belking device and the car's connections.
Ive never had to re-pair anything. My BB device works great, except for one case. I have to reset the BB when I do short trips. Say turn off car to get gas. Due to the short power off, when it comes back on, most of the time it needs reset.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
1chanc3
Major
Rep

Going to Bump this really old thread created by me for updates.

I am going to purchase a new BB music gateway from someone on CL tonight (got tired of running a aux cord from the arm rest to the dash; i hate dangling wires). I will update on how it works once I receive it and have tested it out.
      12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
RectalItching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

If you still have an iphone 4 which takes the old style connector, for a quality audio investment i would consider a nuforce airdac. also a cheaper consideration is an airport express. ill leave you to look these up. Both require DC supplies so you will have to get a voltage converter to use the 12 plug in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
1chanc3
Major
Rep

I would just like to update this thread.
I have since decided to get a Kinivo BTC450 instead of the BB Music Gateway. The reason is because the guy who was supposed to sell me a brand new music gateway was a flake.

The BTC450 is not only a A2DP module (music only), but also acts like a HSP, HFP, and AVRCP. This means I am also able to answer calls with the device and has a mic! So its a whole hands free device!
Cost: $40 from Amazon.

First impressions:
Neat, sleek look. Thin wires. Short 12v adapter that comes with a usb slot! I am actually able to close the arm rest with it still plugged in. I have this device mounted (it comes with 2 double sided tape) to the southeast of the boot on the wood part.

Connection to my phone, Nexus 5, was very easy.
The music/sound quality is great! No loss of loudness (I had read that the music gateway has that problem where it decreases volume). Sound is pretty clean and crisp, as if using a aux cable, which surprised me.
I tested calling my sister and she said that she can hear me pretty clearly.

The device automatically turns on/off when you start the car, which is what i wanted. In addition, it has an multifunction button and a next song and last song button. The multifunction button allows for voice command/dialing (if your phone supports it), redial last number, and music play/pause.

Conclusion: Even though I spent more than what I had hoped for a A2DP BT device for my car, I am very satisfied with quality and functionality of this product.