E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Another one for Carl

07-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Another one for Carl

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/121704-m-...ml#post1148058

Some crazy fool has swapped his M6 for your favourite Datsun - maybe you want to set him straight about how from a rolling start the M6 'might' be faster from 110-120 in 6th gear or whatever this weeks calculation is
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Lucky boy..

M6 verts are heavy tho aint they. (who the hell would buy on of them)

We all know stock vs stock rolling start the M6 is ever so slightly quicker.. round the twisties the GT-R has it licked no doubt

quick tune and the GT-R is crazy power.

Everyone gets so excited about the nissan, its no quicker than the Porky T
      07-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Lucky boy..

M6 verts are heavy tho aint they. (who the hell would buy on of them)

We all know stock vs stock rolling start the M6 is ever so slightly quicker.. round the twisties the GT-R has it licked no doubt

quick tune and the GT-R is crazy power.

Quote:
Everyone gets so excited about the nissan, its no quicker than the Porky T
But the GTR is £40k (in your world - M6 money and change) cheaper and 'ring times would suggest otherwise
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Does anyone know how often the Nissan requires a service ie annually/bi-annually and if Nissan are making a loss on producing this car (as VW do with the Veyron)? The Nissan is obviously an excellent car and fair play to the Nippons.

We all know that Porsche make a profit on all their cars - fine, but I'm intrigued where this price difference comes from. Curved panels cost more to produce, the adjustable suspension for track use ie. different cambers, certain costs of materials used and things like two oil pumps for dry sump lubrication, sophisticated AWD, very close stitching in the leather etc. All adds up.

As everyone on here knows - quality costs money.

I am awaiting with interest the new Audi RS5 as rumours have it 4.2 V8 twin turbos 450 bhp & accompanying torque or 4.2 V8 twin turbos 480 bhp (sound familiar) and of course AWD based on Porsche set ups. Two prototypes currently running but one may have the V10 in it - can't see that 'cos of the fuel costs tbh.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'd hazard a guess that Nissan aren't making any money on this car.

Very simply - branding means the market will bear far more for a Porsche than Nissan. And hence that explains a good portion of the price difference.

But from my degree at uni, studying management there is no way that given the same budget that German Quality control is better than Japanese Quality Control? That's just great marketing.

The GTR does have some stupidly restrictive servicing crap especially when it comes to trackdays, which is where Porsche are leaps and bounds ahead as tracking doesn't incur very penal pre and post inspections (if the gearbox oil temp gets too high it gets very costly). But then i'm not really that fussed about tracking a GTR. I'd rather track a 1.4 Sport Mark 2 fiesta

In all honesty I'd love a 997 Turbo, but i couldn't justify/afford the difference. Especially haven driven both at speed and discovered for my ability the GTR is far more usable. I didn't feel as confident in the corners with a 997T, but i wasn't doing road legal speeds anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
They at 40k now are they?
      07-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Does anyone know how often the Nissan requires a service ie annually/bi-annually and if Nissan are making a loss on producing this car (as VW do with the Veyron)? The Nissan is obviously an excellent car and fair play to the Nippons.

We all know that Porsche make a profit on all their cars - fine, but I'm intrigued where this price difference comes from. Curved panels cost more to produce, the adjustable suspension for track use ie. different cambers, certain costs of materials used and things like two oil pumps for dry sump lubrication, sophisticated AWD, very close stitching in the leather etc. All adds up.

As everyone on here knows - quality costs money.

I am awaiting with interest the new Audi RS5 as rumours have it 4.2 V8 twin turbos 450 bhp & accompanying torque or 4.2 V8 twin turbos 480 bhp (sound familiar) and of course AWD based on Porsche set ups. Two prototypes currently running but one may have the V10 in it - can't see that 'cos of the fuel costs tbh.
Hi Helen

The RS5 has been confirmed as the same engine in the RS4 ie 4.2 NA but dry sump and some mods.

Should be a belter, i will defo be test driving.
      07-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Hi Helen

The RS5 has been confirmed as the same engine in the RS4 ie 4.2 NA but dry sump and some mods.

Twin turbo in the RS5?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They at 40k now are they?
new GTR 60k? Actually some people got theirs new for £55k
new 997 Turbo 100k? I thought it was actually more?
Hence the £40k difference?

Fandango world M6 30k
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Twin turbo in the RS5?
EVERYBODY knows two turbos are better than one
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
EVERYBODY knows two turbos are better than one
One big one where you need it is best.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
wonder if a woman would rather two little willies or one Big willy.
      07-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
wonder if a woman would rather two little willies or one Big willy.
You got a very close mate?

I guess Will would be available to lend a helping 'hand' otherwise
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd hazard a guess that Nissan aren't making any money on this car.

Very simply - branding means the market will bear far more for a Porsche than Nissan. And hence that explains a good portion of the price difference.

But from my degree at uni, studying management there is no way that given the same budget that German Quality control is better than Japanese Quality Control? That's just great marketing.

The GTR does have some stupidly restrictive servicing crap especially when it comes to trackdays, which is where Porsche are leaps and bounds ahead as tracking doesn't incur very penal pre and post inspections (if the gearbox oil temp gets too high it gets very costly). But then i'm not really that fussed about tracking a GTR. I'd rather track a 1.4 Sport Mark 2 fiesta

In all honesty I'd love a 997 Turbo, but i couldn't justify/afford the difference. Especially haven driven both at speed and discovered for my ability the GTR is far more usable. I didn't feel as confident in the corners with a 997T, but i wasn't doing road legal speeds anyway.
I agree with your comments.

Interesting that you didn't feel as comfortable in the corners driving the Porka, was it that pendulum effect or that constant 'chattering/talking' from the steering feedback? Coming from the Cayman S I soon realised that the 997 T had to be taken control of and remain in control of it lol. The little Cayman could switch through 'S' bends with such no nonesense ability it is an amazing little car, whereas the 997 T will do that but then you feel what appears to be a dip at the rear but it's that pendulum effect. By the time you've felt it, you're way past the incident and just carry on as the car has not lost grip (somehow!). In the meantime that light front end effect (that is more pronounced in the 911's than the Cayman) seems to disappear momentarily and again you just drive through it. I reckon though that if you did loose it in the 997 T, then you 'aint much chance of getting it back imo but you'd have to be on some serious limit to do so.

I can see why the 997 T would not be everyones cup of tea as a daily drive, for me I love it but I'll be honest, to drive it hard and fast repeatedly through bends you have to be fully focused and 'in the mood' so you remain in charge lol and boy it is physically tiring after a while...........but then I'm a weak woman.

Quote:
Hi Helen

Hi Steve,

Where did you hear that then? Just that I've been snooping around some Audi dealerships last week and they gave me that info. I'm not bothered whether it's NA or not are you but I defo. like the sound of 480 bhp out of a V8 which is not unduly stressing such an engine eh.

I'm with you and may register my interest as they say.

Edit: Length is no good without accompanying girth btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's a first for me on any forum eh Will?

Quote:

Interesting that you didn't feel as comfortable in the corners driving the Porka, was it that pendulum effect or that constant 'chattering/talking' from the steering feedback? Coming from the Cayman S I soon realised that the 997 T had to be taken control of and remain in control of it lol. The little Cayman could switch through 'S' bends with such no nonesense ability it is an amazing little car, whereas the 997 T will do that but then you feel what appears to be a dip at the rear but it's that pendulum effect. By the time you've felt it, you're way past the incident and just carry on as the car has not lost grip (somehow!). In the meantime that light front end effect (that is more pronounced in the 911's than the Cayman) seems to disappear momentarily and again you just drive through it. I reckon though that if you did loose it in the 997 T, then you 'aint much chance of getting it back imo but you'd have to be on some serious limit to do so.

I can see why the 997 T would not be everyones cup of tea as a daily drive, for me I love it but I'll be honest, to drive it hard and fast repeatedly through bends you have to be fully focused and 'in the mood' so you remain in charge lol and boy it is physically tiring after a while...........but then I'm a weak woman.
To be honest i've driven the GTR at silverstone and then on the road, and it was demonstrator cars. Whereas the Porsche belonged to a mate, so there is that factor. Kicking the crap out of a car belonging to Nissan is a bit different to a mates car.

But if you get a chance to drive the GTR it's a very very easy car to drive fast. I don't know if it has any more grip than the Porsche, but it's that level of composure and ease that made the difference for me. I guess the cliche is confidence inspiring. And the corollary is un-involving.

The GTR is far from tiring to drive - even coming from a 335D! Man i'm sounding old, but it's true!!

Quote:

Have you seen how wide the GTR is
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But if you get a chance to drive the GTR it's a very very easy car to drive fast. I don't know if it has any more grip than the Porsche, but it's that level of composure and ease that made the difference for me. I guess the cliche is confidence inspiring. And the corollary is un-involving.

The GTR is far from tiring to drive - even coming from a 335D! Man i'm sounding old, but it's true!!
Hmmm, maybe I need to have a play sometime.

Now they do say that a certain German marque of car 'flatters' the driver ahem, could the Nissan be in a similar vane.

Who donned the phrase 'douer Scot' anyhow.

Quote:
Have you seen how wide the GTR is
Yes, yes but longevity is also important.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:

Hi Steve,

Where did you hear that then? Just that I've been snooping around some Audi dealerships last week and they gave me that info. I'm not bothered whether it's NA or not are you but I defo. like the sound of 480 bhp out of a V8 which is not unduly stressing such an engine eh.

I'm with you and may register my interest as they say.

The best two drivers cars AUDI have ever made have a 4lNA v8 the RS4 and R8 i personnally think they will do this

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evospyshot...spy_shots.html

it will seperate the car from the S4 3.0T. just mho of course

evo are pretty good at geting the fact right, unlike Car magazine

Not getting bored of the TT are we hezza???
      07-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The best two drivers cars AUDI have ever made have a 4lNA v8 the RS4 and R8 i personnally think they will do this

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evospyshot...spy_shots.html

it will seperate the car from the S4 3.0T. just mho of course

evo are pretty good at geting the fact right, unlike Car magazine

Not getting bored of the TT are we hezza???
Hmm interesting........the 480 bhp I'd heard muted was due to 'access to VTG'

Not bored lol - that car keeps me alive , just keeping abreast of things for future ref. May have had a play in a S5 out of interest and came away rather impressed by the interior and build quality, oh and that lovely sound of the V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
1200 mile running in service (foc) then every 6000 miles or 6 Months
Information taken from my handbook (guess who’s got a new Car)
Camera batteries went before I could take any photo’s of the Car (got a couple of the engine) and now it’s dirty so hopefully will get some for the weekend
      07-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #20
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
1200 mile running in service (foc) then every 6000 miles or 6 Months
Information taken from my handbook (guess who’s got a new Car)
Camera batteries went before I could take any photo’s of the Car (got a couple of the engine) and now it’s dirty so hopefully will get some for the weekend

Congratulations mate!

More pics required!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #21
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Nice Real Thing there is a white visits just across the road from me it is rather nice wasnt sure of it from pics but in the flesh and it makes a nice noise.

Last edited by Irnbrukid; 07-28-2009 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #22
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
One of my buddies (who is the sales manager at Bobby Rahal BMW) has a client that has two GTR's one for the road and one for the track. He took the road one out for a drive the other day and told me "I would take the GTR over the M6 or any other vehicle we have on our lot" me: "but isn't it a lil ricey for an elite individual such as yourself" him: "Nah, not really, I mean I am all about luxury, but I love this car, might be my next ride, even if I actually have to pay for it, heh. Car is fast as hell outa the hole".