E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New To Detailing

06-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

New To Detailing

Alright guys well I'm pretty new to the whole detailing thing and have lurked around a lot in this section reading up on stuff that I'm going to need. I have a Porter Cable 7424xp and am going with 5in backplate. But now it's time to go pick up all my chemicals.

I have a Jet Black E90 has a lot of light scratches and swirls that are very unattractive in direct sunlight.

I'm fortunate enough to have chemical guys a driving distance away from me so I will be using them to get all my products.

This is what I'm thinking

Pads: Hex logic (Orange White Black)
Clay Bar: (need suggestions)
Quick Detailing Spray (Luber)
Paint Correction Polish (need suggestions)
Wax/Sealant (need suggestions)

Let me know which ones from chemical guys I should get or if im missing anything. Thanks for the help!
      06-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Please don't use all of Chemical Guys stuff. Most of its over-hyped garbage with the exception of a few products. Invest in some real polishes and compounds from Menzerna. BTW, the whole hex-logic thing is a gimmick. They are at least $1-2 more and don't work as well as a flat pad. The max pad size you can use on a PC is 5.5 inches. See link below.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850463
      06-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Check out Auto Detailing Solutions

They have very competitive prices. You can get 12pk 3.5" pads with the backing plate and 6 pk 5.5" pads for around $60. These are Buff & Shine pads. Make sure you email them asking for a 3.5" backing plate for your Porter Cable instead of a Rotary polisher. You can also check out Car-Pro US for some other detailing stuff that Autodetailingsolutions don't have.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
-Rizzo-
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

For detailing pads I go with lake county. IMO they have worked wonders for me.

For sealant - blue pad
Hard cutter like m105 - orange pad
Light cutter like m205 - white pad

Here is what I use, granted everyone is different:

Wax - poor boys 50/50 wax
Sealant - black fire paint sealant
Cutters to remove swirls - m105 and 205
Quick detailer - poorboys spray and wipe.
Quick wax poorboys spray and wax.
To polish exhaust tips - 1000 grit steel wool with meguiars mag and aluminum polish. Can be used to polish other things.
Clay bar - NanoSkin AutoScrub Fine Foam Pad. This is gods gift IMO. You use the pads on your buffer and put it on speed 1. You spray the car with clay lube and once done with the area wipe it off. Cuts clay bar time down in half.

The site I get my stuff off is detailedimage.com. They have reviews on there and if you have questions you ask them. They have helped me choose what to use and to buy. It's up to you what you get.
      06-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Please don't use all of Chemical Guys stuff. Most of its over-hyped garbage with the exception of a few products. Invest in some real polishes and compounds from Menzerna. BTW, the whole hex-logic thing is a gimmick. They are at least $1-2 more and don't work as well as a flat pad. The max pad size you can use on a PC is 5.5 inches. See link below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
Check out Auto Detailing Solutions

They have very competitive prices. You can get 12pk 3.5" pads with the backing plate and 6 pk 5.5" pads for around $60. These are Buff & Shine pads. Make sure you email them asking for a 3.5" backing plate for your Porter Cable instead of a Rotary polisher. You can also check out Car-Pro US for some other detailing stuff that Autodetailingsolutions don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rizzo- View Post
For detailing pads I go with lake county. IMO they have worked wonders for me.

For sealant - blue pad
Hard cutter like m105 - orange pad
Light cutter like m205 - white pad

Here is what I use, granted everyone is different:

Wax - poor boys 50/50 wax
Sealant - black fire paint sealant
Cutters to remove swirls - m105 and 205
Quick detailer - poorboys spray and wipe.
Quick wax poorboys spray and wax.
To polish exhaust tips - 1000 grit steel wool with meguiars mag and aluminum polish. Can be used to polish other things.
Clay bar - NanoSkin AutoScrub Fine Foam Pad. This is gods gift IMO. You use the pads on your buffer and put it on speed 1. You spray the car with clay lube and once done with the area wipe it off. Cuts clay bar time down in half.

The site I get my stuff off is detailedimage.com. They have reviews on there and if you have questions you ask them. They have helped me choose what to use and to buy. It's up to you what you get.
Thanks for all the responses guys although I actually picked up my stuff before you guys chimed in lol. I picked up blue clay bar (fine) (should've went with medium though) V36 cutting polish, V38 finishing polish, V7 sealant . Hex logic 5.5in orange, white, black (they even threw in a red and blue as well) Started working on the roof (one of the only original parts of the car still left, probably hasnt been detailed ever) Clay bar was straight black haha. Very happy with how its turning out so far.
      06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

As an alternative, try M101 instead of M105. Costs a bit more, but has more cutting power in less time and less dust compared to M105. You will not be disappointed.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
As an alternative, try M101 instead of M105. Costs a bit more, but has more cutting power in less time and less dust compared to M105. You will not be disappointed.
Menzerna FG 400 over M101 or M105 any day. People make M105 out to be some miracle product when it's really a PITA to use.
      06-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Menzerna FG 400 over M101 or M105 any day. People make M105 out to be some miracle product when it's really a PITA to use.
I've been using the M105/M205 combo and have been very happy with the results. But the M105 is a PITA to work in, especially when it starts to dry up prematurely. Took a quick look at the M101 and might pick that up since it's formulated especialy for foam pads (maybe that's why I've been having a tough time with M105). I know Mezerna's products are great but haven't tried them yet.

As for the OP, you might want to look into doing the 'straight line' method when applying your sealant. I think Autogeek has some vids on Youtube. It'll help reduce the possibility of introducing new swirls. And if you haven't thought of it already, you may want to do multiple coats of your sealant for increased durability - as long as you let the sealant "cure" before each coat.

Has anyone else done this?
      06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
I've been using the M105/M205 combo and have been very happy with the results. But the M105 is a PITA to work in, especially when it starts to dry up prematurely. Took a quick look at the M101 and might pick that up since it's formulated especialy for foam pads (maybe that's why I've been having a tough time with M105). I know Mezerna's products are great but haven't tried them yet.
M101 is a bit more user friendly in comparison to M105. M101 also finish much better than M105. Please keep this in mind. These are pretty aggressive products. These compounds should be reserve for the really nasty stuff. Too many people go to these products automatically without exploring less aggressive options.

Here is an example:
Before

After M101 on Flex 3401 with an Orange Hybrid Cutting Pad

06-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
magungo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

you can also try meguiars d300 and d301.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I'm at the stage where my paint doesn't require aggressive compounds, so I've stuck with M205 quite extensively with either a green or blue polish pad from detailersdomain. I still have a lot of M105 left and a brand new bottle of M101 to use, so it'll be a while before I really tap into those bottles again.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Congrats on your CG purchase!

Here is what I use/recommend from them
Pads: Hex logic Orange White Black
Clay Bar: Medium
Quick Detailing Spray: CG speedwipe(quick detailing when car is dusty) and also V7(after wash)
Paint Correction Polish: V36 & 38
Wax/Sealant: Black light, Jetseal 109
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Quote:
+1

Menzerna FG400 is great. Followed by some Menzerna Super Finish SF4000 or SF4500 ( if needed). Then to finish it off some Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. Menzerna products are great products to use. If you use the proper pads and techniques, your paint correction and detail will come out great. Good Luck !
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

For my Jet Black paint, I found that D300 on the MF Cutting pad followed by Menzerna DF4500 on a blue or black foam pad was a great combo. It removed the majority of imperfections in the paint. On my mom's TSX in black (softer paint), I used the D300 and D301 combo and that also worked very well.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Hello Otruba,

I've seen "some" of your other posts of detailing products, but I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a concentrated quick detailer that you might use? or any quick detailer you like and have use(d).

Thank you!
      07-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
Hello Otruba,

I've seen "some" of your other posts of detailing products, but I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a concentrated quick detailer that you might use? or any quick detailer you like and have use(d).

Thank you!
The only time I use a Quick Detailer (QD) is for claying or removing bird crap. Optimum No-Rinse can be diluted to a clay lube and a QD and its super slick although it does smell like watered down skanky beer. Make sure to dilute it with distilled water. I use spray sealants/waxes which are QD's with light protection added after every wash to extend the durability of my wax and add lubrication during the drying period.
      07-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
The only time I use a Quick Detailer (QD) is for claying or removing bird crap. Optimum No-Rinse can be diluted to a clay lube and a QD and its super slick although it does smell like watered down skanky beer. Make sure to dilute it with distilled water. I use spray sealants/waxes which are QD's with light protection added after every wash to extend the durability of my wax and add lubrication during the drying period.
My ONR doesn't smell like that. It actually smells pretty good. Nothing like what you describe. ONR has had 2-3 revisions though so I might have the newer version.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Otruba!
      07-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
My ONR doesn't smell like that. It actually smells pretty good. Nothing like what you describe. ONR has had 2-3 revisions though so I might have the newer version.
It does sort of smell like blue berries, but after using it for a while it begins to smell like old nasty beer. I don't know why but it does.
Quote:
Thank you Otruba!
No problem, anytime.
      07-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
It does sort of smell like blue berries, but after using it for a while it begins to smell like old nasty beer. I don't know why but it does.

No problem, anytime.
Instead of doing a complete wash, is it okay to wash ONLY wheels in this fashion?

1. rinse wheels with just water to get big dirt particles off
2. use distilled water mixed with 70% isopropyl alcohol as a cleaner
3. rub away film gently
4. rinse again using sheet method and then dry off anything left over/ use leaf blower

also can you use products like kaboom to do any minor cleaning on the exterior of the car?

http://www.kaboomkaboom.com/products...e-cleaner.aspx

i know its a household product for tubs and stuff.. but would there be anything inside it that i shouldn't use on the 313 m wheels?

Thanks again Otruba
      07-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #21
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Instead of doing a complete wash, is it okay to wash ONLY wheels in this fashion?

1. rinse wheels with just water to get big dirt particles off
2. use distilled water mixed with 70% isopropyl alcohol as a cleaner
3. rub away film gently
4. rinse again using sheet method and then dry off anything left over/ use leaf blower

also can you use products like kaboom to do any minor cleaning on the exterior of the car?

http://www.kaboomkaboom.com/products...e-cleaner.aspx

i know its a household product for tubs and stuff.. but would there be anything inside it that i shouldn't use on the 313 m wheels?

Thanks again Otruba
IPA shouldn't be used in that fashion on a car. Avoid all household products like the plague for detailing.
      07-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
vrooom23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

So I'm thinking about detailing my AW e92 myself because of swirls. But I have a question about excessive paint.

So i got my bumper repainted but on one part of the car theres excessive paint like a dried paint dripping down you know? can i polish that down to make it flat again with a polisher or what?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0