E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i Insurance

02-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Just a word of warning OP....and I'm saying this not because of your young age, but as others have said....300bhp and rwd, you have to know how to control this kind of car....especially if you have traction control off...

The rear is very "snappy" in the wet....

I've had my 335i for about 4/5 years now and this car still "surprises" me at times!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #46
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
OP: When did you pass your test? Have you driven other peoples cars on a long term basis before? The 335i is the first car I have owned too, but I was driving someone else's car for 2 years prior.

I first drove a 335i in Florida and decided I'd like one, that was 3 years ago now and I had barely passed my test back then. It was good fun, but it was 35c outside, the top was down, the roads were empty and each lane out there is the width of the M25. You feel the thrill but there is no danger from traffic. The next year I drove an E550, same kinda thing again, lovely sounding engine and exhaust, sounds great when you floor it. Both powerful cars, but this outside of rush hour and not representative of owning either car on a daily basis.

In December I picked up my 335i, and it was a completely different experience. Roads in the UK are so narrow in comparison and have much more traffic. The surface itself was no where near as grippy due to being much colder and wetter. Also being a manual vs auto the power delivery felt much more involved. Road surfaces are also quite uneven in the UK, you feel the wheels trying to pull the steering in all sorts of directions.

I had a few scares within the first two weeks, you just don't realise how much power this car has. I felt the back end twitch by just going over a white line in the rain whilst accelerating up a slip road. You don't really expect to see a traction control light when accelerating at ~50mph.

I actually ended up leaving mine parked up quite a bit initially and only took it out when the roads were quiet.

Now I am confident driving it but I worry about mundane things. Speedbumps, potholes, parking spaces, not accidentally breaking the speed limit by 20mph when overtaking in a 50. It makes me wonder how people can own a Ferrari in this country.

I wouldn't recommend it as a first car, get a 320d rack up a years NCD and a few thousand miles then trade up. If you want to get an idea of what a 335 will be like make sure its M Sport and still some 19 inch run flats. I'd also recommend becoming friends with a chiropractor
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #47
DanTheManc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

You can still quick enough to lose control and kill yourself in a 1.0ltr Micra. You only live once. There are slower cars with a more aggressive power delivery which are harder to control than the 335i. The power delivery of a 335i is fairly linear.

Just respect the power and remember the car will be far more capable than you are and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #48
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

At the end of the day way i see it is -

Can you afford to pay £1800 for the insurance?
Can you afford to pay £3000 excess if worse case scenario you are involved in an accident?

If you are involved in an accident but its clear cut the other party is to blame/responsible then no you would not have to pay excess as you will go through the other party's insurance or instruct a claims management company to pursue on your behalf.

If it is complicated and you need to invlove your own insurance then if the value of the repair is less than £3k then i presume you would pay just the value. However some insurance companies will reuqire you to pay full excess even though the repair works out less.

Insurance can be messy so just be prepared for it should anything happen

If you can answer yes to the above 2 questions and can manage/afford it go for it
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #49
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A bottle of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
OP: When did you pass your test? Have you driven other peoples cars on a long term basis before? The 335i is the first car I have owned too, but I was driving someone else's car for 2 years prior.

I first drove a 335i in Florida and decided I'd like one, that was 3 years ago now and I had barely passed my test back then. It was good fun, but it was 35c outside, the top was down, the roads were empty and each lane out there is the width of the M25. You feel the thrill but there is no danger from traffic. The next year I drove an E550, same kinda thing again, lovely sounding engine and exhaust, sounds great when you floor it. Both powerful cars, but this outside of rush hour and not representative of owning either car on a daily basis.

In December I picked up my 335i, and it was a completely different experience. Roads in the UK are so narrow in comparison and have much more traffic. The surface itself was no where near as grippy due to being much colder and wetter. Also being a manual vs auto the power delivery felt much more involved. Road surfaces are also quite uneven in the UK, you feel the wheels trying to pull the steering in all sorts of directions.

I had a few scares within the first two weeks, you just don't realise how much power this car has. I felt the back end twitch by just going over a white line in the rain whilst accelerating up a slip road. You don't really expect to see a traction control light when accelerating at ~50mph.

I actually ended up leaving mine parked up quite a bit initially and only took it out when the roads were quiet.

Now I am confident driving it but I worry about mundane things. Speedbumps, potholes, parking spaces, not accidentally breaking the speed limit by 20mph when overtaking in a 50. It makes me wonder how people can own a Ferrari in this country.

I wouldn't recommend it as a first car, get a 320d rack up a years NCD and a few thousand miles then trade up. If you want to get an idea of what a 335 will be like make sure its M Sport and still some 19 inch run flats. I'd also recommend becoming friends with a chiropractor
You have literally read my mind!

I thought about owning a 320d for roughly a year or so and I actually don't mind doing this. The only thing is, I can't find a reasonable quote for a 320d. The insurance for the 320d and 335i is exactly the same..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #50
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshirazz View Post

I thought about owning a 320d for roughly a year or so and I actually don't mind doing this. The only thing is, I can't find a reasonable quote for a 320d. The insurance for the 320d and 335i is exactly the same..
Yes I have had those quotes too, with the 3K excess? Ignore them you really don't want a 3K excess. That is not insurance! They are passing all the risk to you.

What is your highest quote with a reasonable excess? Something around £500 is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #51
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

I find that very hard to believe....

That's a bit like saying a normal Mitsi Lancer is the same as an Evo on insurance!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #52
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMR360 View Post

That's a bit like saying a normal Mitsi Lancer is the same as an Evo on insurance!
It really is. The cheapest insurance quote I can get with a reasonable excess is around £7000. Which is a bump!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #53
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep

Just ran a quote check again with moneysupermarket and the cheapest I can get insurance for is £6000 with £200 compulsory excess. Not worth it in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #54
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

I have had to make two claim in all my time of driving, and neither of them were my fault, but I had to pay the excess.

First was crawling along a country lane in winter at about 15mph, touched the brake on a sheet of black ice... experienced driver or not that's 3k gone! (I know someone will say it was my fault, but by the time my car was removed there was 4 other cars in the wall beside my car and they closed the road for a survery and changed the camber of the corner as a result)

Second was a fox running out in front of my car... that would be another 3k gone

That excess is just stupid... I would not even consider an excess larger than £200... end of
      02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #55
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
sshirazz how long have you had your license?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #56
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Ha lol,

Just got a quote for this year - £231 fully comp on the 335i!!

But that's without any mods, add the mods and its back up to £750.

Best get the wallet out again...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #57
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Because he's got no appreciative driving experience. Zero. Sure maybe he's even poked around town for a bit in his mums Fiesta, but nothing on the level of a 306bhp RWD BMW. Maybe he doesn't even have that level of experience. OP, when did you pass your driving test?

It isn't all about his age. It's about experience and skill. Most car enthusiasts work their way up the car ladder, which means their experience level goes up as the power of the car they are driving increases. Having 300hp to the rear wheels requires a certain level of skill and car control when you use this power. And trust me, anyone who buys a 335i is planning on using the power. The insurance company seem to agree with my point of view that it isn't a good idea too from the fact they want him to pay nearly £2000 for his premium AND a £3000 excess. It just simply isn't worth it. The sensible thing to do was to buy a low priced car, with a bit of power (think 150-200bhp) and have that for a couple of years, then when the insurance has dropped to non mental prices AND you know what driving a quick car is like, then buy a 335i.
Sorry op for jacking your thread.

The comment about starting from a small car like 1.0-1.4 litre car.

Is the best idea he can do. Then he should get a car with a little bit more power like a 2 litre.

Thats what i have done. Paying like 500 pounds for a 2 litre e46.

But Subzero2003, the bit about a car at 150- 200 bhp.

It those not make a difference.

I am saying this as i am getting quote like the OP for a e46 m3 (1800 and 3000 excess).

I have like 6 years of driving and even tho i have had like 3 accidents.

I have learnt a lot from them like the last one where i wrote off the 206 due to some idiot hitting me from the back at a corner of a road, also mud on the road and nearly ending up rolling down a hill. very bad experience. twat just drove off and left me there. I learnt how to control the car when it went sideways luckily missing a wall.

drive like 13000 miles a year, up and down the m1 too.

i have been told that the reason why its high, is similar to what you have said to the OP.

Of having no experience with a rwd high performance car.

But as i have driven a rwd for like 4 years, it should have been cheaper. dont understand the system tho.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #58
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sives View Post
Sorry op for jacking your thread.

The comment about starting from a small car like 1.0-1.4 litre car.

Is the best idea he can do. Then he should get a car with a little bit more power like a 2 litre.

Thats what i have done. Paying like 500 pounds for a 2 litre e46.

But Subzero2003, the bit about a car at 150- 200 bhp.

It those not make a difference.

I am saying this as i am getting quote like the OP for a e46 m3 (1800 and 3000 excess).

I have like 6 years of driving and even tho i have had like 3 accidents.

I have learnt a lot from them like the last one where i wrote off the 206 due to some idiot hitting me from the back at a corner of a road, also mud on the road and nearly ending up rolling down a hill. very bad experience. twat just drove off and left me there. I learnt how to control the car when it went sideways luckily missing a wall.

drive like 13000 miles a year, up and down the m1 too.

i have been told that the reason why its high, is similar to what you have said to the OP.

Of having no experience with a rwd high performance car.

But as i have driven a rwd for like 4 years, it should have been cheaper. dont understand the system tho.

Insurers don't care if you have RWD driving experience. They care if you have been in an accident though. You have been involved in 3, which is why your premiums are high and have a huge excess.

I was involved in an accident, not my fault, third party accepted all liability. That puts my premium up by ~£300, and you have been in 3!

The reason the quotes you are getting are the same for all cars is because the insurer isn't insuring you. They are charging you 1800 for paperwork and a legal form then in the event of an accident you will be paying for most of the work!

A £3000 excess says you need to buy a lower insurance group car unless of course you have a money tree.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #59
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know how I stumbled upon this but please check this out: http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/excess-insurance/

Can't I get the £1800 car insurance with £3000 excess and take out this excess insurance too? It will cover up to £2000 of excess fees for £100 a year making my excess £1000.

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #60
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMR360 View Post

You would actually be surprised how little, if anything, is between the cost of a 320 and a 335 insurance wise.

Considering the power etc, the 335i seems to be one of the better cars to insure. They must attract good drivers.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
You would actually be surprised how little, if anything, is between the cost of a 320 and a 335 insurance wise.

Considering the power etc, the 335i seems to be one of the better cars to insure. They must attract good drivers.
Agree, the £231 quote I had today for my 335i (standard) is £10 LESS than we are currently paying on my wifes shit old 56 Civic 1.8i

WTF!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #62
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I don't understand how you can say I have no driving experience. I've driven a Mercedes SLK for 2 weeks, a e90 320d for a weeks and have driven a e46 325i for a week. I am a confident driver

All I wanted to know is what I originally posted.
Not trying to be harsh in any way, but if you're trying to pass off mere weeks of driving a couple of cars with no more than about 190bhp, this has simply clarified that you really do not have a lot of experience at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Subzero -OP didn't ask for anyone's recommendation. so keep your opinions to yourself and get back to topic. fair enough if you want to rant about young drivers buying cars and crashing and increasing your premium, it's his life and his money and he has the right to buy what he wants.
Thanks for that Yoro. Your opinion is very important to me - so important that i've filed it away in my "People whose opinions i couldn't care less about" filing cabinet.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I am not annoyed with the insurance quote given to me. I think paying that much money for such a car is worth it considering my area, age and no claims. I created this thread to know what will happen in certain circumstances.
The insurance want to make you pay that much, simply because you represent a big risk of bending the car and/or someone elses car/property at the same time.

Quote:
You guys are treating me as if I don't know how to drive a car, or i'm going to rip the car on every clear road. When I get the car, i'll be driving in accordance with the law and everyone else. Only I know my capabilities and I know I am a very quick learner so I am sorry if you're not.
This is where that whole "experience" thing comes in i was talking about. You don't think every single one of us has justified getting a fast car by saying something like that? A fast car can get the better of you very easily, and it can lull you into a false sense of security then suddenly bite you. Trust me, most of us have been there. We've all been "fast learners" and promised to our partners we won't drive quickly or that "we know our capabilities" etc etc.

I'm sure you know how to drive a car just fine, but you do not have the experience to handle a 300bhp RWD BMW safely. And let's face it, you aren't buying a 335i to drive slowly around in it. It's very difficult to explain, and it isn't anything to do with your age, much much more to do with your experience levels.

How long have you been driving by the way? I'm presuming you either haven't been driving long or that you've passed your test, had your licence for a while, but then haven't had a car so have almost become deskilled to a point.

Quote:
I understand that buying a nissan micra would be the best option for me, but that simply is not going to happen...
Believe it or not, the only alternative to a RWD BMW 335i is not a Nissan Micra. There are plenty of cars out there that have a decent amount of power, and will serve you well for a couple of years, until your insurance falls (which it will do - rapidly as soon as you get some decent experience). You'll be 25, hopefully have 2 or 3 years experience under your belt and 2 or 3 years NCB and the insurance will be much much more reasonable. And more importantly, you will have some experience in how to control a car.

Quote:
I haven't got any convictions or points, etc. I just didn't purchase a car due to not having the money.
Good luck with keeping it that way with a 300bhp car. It's difficult even for those of us who should know better.

Quote:

I genuinely wouldn't even bother going for a 320d. The 335i is the one you want, and i totally see why you would want one (). Just get a cheap, decent car with a bit of power now, wait a couple of years and pick up your 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #63
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quick warning. Many insurance companies will decline to quote through comparison if quoted elsewhere. Also multiple quote will reduce your credit rating which in turn increases your premium. Lastly high excess can actually increase your premium, try a more normal 500 for the last time. Phone Adrian Flux too if you haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #64
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
Quick warning. Many insurance companies will decline to quote through comparison if quoted elsewhere. Also multiple quote will reduce your credit rating which in turn increases your premium. Lastly high excess can actually increase your premium, try a more normal 500 for the last time. Phone Adrian Flux too if you haven't already.

Since when did insurance quotes impact your credit report? I've not seen any evidence of that. They search it but they do not leave a mark for lenders to see.

If you want a quote from admiral always used confused.com (same company). Admirals quotes are more expensive on non confused.com comparison sites. A few won't quote on price comparisons, but they are not going to be cheap for a no ncd driver anyway. Direct line, 0 ncd on a 335i? Don't even bother.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #65
sives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Insurers don't care if you have RWD driving experience. They care if you have been in an accident though. You have been involved in 3, which is why your premiums are high and have a huge excess.

I was involved in an accident, not my fault, third party accepted all liability. That puts my premium up by ~£300, and you have been in 3!

The reason the quotes you are getting are the same for all cars is because the insurer isn't insuring you. They are charging you 1800 for paperwork and a legal form then in the event of an accident you will be paying for most of the work!

A £3000 excess says you need to buy a lower insurance group car unless of course you have a money tree.

hi mate your right about them charging that price for the accidents, but 2 of them i didnt go through insurance and the first one happened in 2007.

i got told it could be my postcode.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
sives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
lol, mate this same topic is going on, in my thread on the e46zone forum lol
Appreciate 0