E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Weird problem with my brakes that I haven't seen discussed before

06-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
stopper
Person of Interest
United_States
Rep
Drives: A petrol-engine motorcar

Unhappy Weird problem with my brakes that I haven't seen discussed before

Hey guys, I've been holding off on bringing my brake issue up since it's relatively infrequent, but it's scared the hell out of me one too many times so I'm coming to you folks for help. It's kinda hard to explain, so bear with me...

Every so often, and only when I have been driving for more than a short stint and only when I haven't used the brakes in some time, the first time I go to use the brakes, the pedal is very hard to press. HOWEVER, it is not hard like it would be if you pressed the pedal a few times when the car was off and there was no vacuum being created. Instead, it feels like the pedal is physically getting stuck on something and won't move down more than a hair, and only for that first press. If I immediately let off the pedal completely, and stomp back on it, everything seems to go back to normal. Also when this happens, if instead of letting off and pressing again, I actually keep my foot on the pedal and push down really hard (much harder than I would otherwise need to), the pedal actually "breaks free" with a feeling I can feel in my foot like I just broke something connected to the pedal or pushed it past some detent and it pushes back down to where it should have been, given the force I applied, in the first place.

The only scenario that this happens for me is when I've been cruising on the highway for 30+ minutes at speed (60-80mph), without using the brakes at all, and then something happens and I need to brake quickly (traffic stops ahead or I turn off of a downhill exit ramp, for example). Never from having to stop from a lower speed or around town. Having the pedal act like this is jarring and impossible to get used to. Every time it happens, my heart jumps and I enter adrenaline mode because the other 99% of driving time my brakes function perfectly so I am never expecting it.

While it doesn't happen often, once every two weeks maybe, this physical pedal reaction is way too repeatable and consistent to be my imagination.

I have about about 15000 miles on my oem pads and rotors. My brake fluid was flushed and replaced about 5000 miles ago by the dealer, but it's been happening both before and after that.

Do you guys have any ideas what could be happening?!

Last edited by stopper; 07-07-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
stopper
Person of Interest
United_States
Rep
Drives: A petrol-engine motorcar

Anyone? Please?

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
nc1mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red e90 335i Sport

Hard brake pedal

Does this seem familiar or a probable cause?

Check out the thread below

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589753

Michael
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopper View Post
Hey guys, I've been holding off on bringing my brake issue up since it's relatively infrequent, but it's scared the hell out of me one too many times so I'm coming to you folks for help. It's kinda hard to explain, so bear with me...

Warranty claim result?
Appreciate 0