E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need help with brakes replacement

03-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
$exy_Dirty
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Need help with brakes replacement

Hello good folks,

I have a few questions and hopefully I will find the answers Im looking for.

My 09 E90 has about 58K miles on it, its a CPO with 100K extended warranty, which will not cover any wear and tear replacements as I was told.

1) When starting a car it shows an icon of "car on a lift" and 290 miles 12/2016. Does this mean 290 miles until it needs to be checked out? If so what does this check consists of? And how can this icon be reset after all checks are complete?

2) Also my front brakes are due for replacement according to the computer in 700 miles and rear due in 2200. Upon checking the pads with flashlight, wheels still on, it seems that front brakes have much more thickness left than the rears. Is the CPU reader accurate on when brakes need to be replaced?

3)
Will I also need to replace the rotors?
Who has the lowest prices on pads/rotors and what brands are better than OEM within same or lower price range?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

A search in the maintenance section will answer all of these questions for you in detail. But in short, the car on lift is the 30,000 mile inspection. The owners manual explains the CBS system and brakes have a notification that comes on when the pads are worn to the minimum; what your are referring to is just an estimate, which is pretty accurate. Rotors should be replaced as a set with pads on a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: recklessly

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Don't skimp out on rotors. They're important and come thin from the factory, so they should not be turned, from what I understand.

I buy my brake parts from BavAuto.com. The rest of your questions can be answered in the manual.
Appreciate 0